• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Why cant I use abilities at sea on my ship?

Crabcore09

Landlubber
Hello I’ve been playing a lot of the New Horizons Build 14 mod and I’ve noticed when I am on my ship in a battle or not I don’t have access to any of my abilities I’ve unlocked. I can hit the commands and go to the abilities but there is only a red X as if I have no abilities at all. Is there a fix for this or a reason why it’s like this?

Please upload "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it exists. Also please don't repeat the same question in different areas of the forum. ;)

Thank you and my apologies I am new here. I found compile and system but did not see error

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.1 KB · Views: 72
  • system.log
    852 bytes · Views: 69
you are using the Maelstrom engine. Most of the users here won't be able to help you much about it.

you may look in this thread:

we are very active on the posted Discord.

As to your question, I also noticed that currently there seems to be a bug so you can't use any sea abilities in Maelstrom atm. We will try to locate and fix the bug asap. In the meantime it seems like you currently can't play the last mission of the Tales of a Seahawk storyline in Maelstrom. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for the information! I’ll check out the discord :) If Malestrom has some bugs atm is it possible for me to switch to Storm engine 2.0? Where would I go to download that? I assumed from the New Horizons website Malestrom was the only way to play Also it’s okay that there are some bugs honestly this is still an amazing game all the way around. I used to play the original when I was a kid and it’s awesome that this community is keeping it alive so whenever you get around to fixing it I will be happy

"switch" on the fly is not possible. They are pretty different engines.

If you want the original Storm 2.0 you'd have to get yourself a copy of the original "Pirates of the Caribbean" aka Sea Dogs 2 and ALSO the New Horizons mod folder for Storm 2.0, as the code changed a bit (you can get that on moddb) .. I honestly have no clue where to get PotC legally anymore

Ohh I actually do have the original already set up and installed! I mount the disc file to Damen tools and it runs the game for me. Now that you mention that it does open storm engine when it plays the game. Would I have to re set up the New Horizons files over to it or something?

Also just so you know it is still possible to purchase the original! It costs like 7$ and you can download the OG copy of Sea Dogs 2. But just so you know if anyone goes that route there is one file for the “Sea.dll” that you have to delete if you ever want the original game to run because it is so old that file is not compatible with any modern version of windows. I did all of that a couple of years ago I’m not sure if any of that is useful information but I figured I would share lol

yeah you would need to download New Horizons for Storm 2.0 again, its a bit different.

Honestly, I don't really see a reason why someone would still use Storm 2.0 .. its not very stable, above all on modern systems, it lacks some cool features Maelstrom has and Maelstrom looks beautiful with Reshade and DirectX9 64bit enabled. And as of now, we have like 95% of features of original NH ported to Maelstrom NH

I’ll probably just continue to use Malestrom for the time being then. I’ll just make a new save file under a different campaign until the bug gets fixed . I had another probably silly question as well. I’ve seen a lot of people on here talking about owning the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman, is it possible to board those ships and take them?

yeah you can board the Black Pearl on that storyline quest you are.. unfortunally after you triggered the artifact, so you'd have to wait until we fix the abilities.

I think you can't board the Dutchman.

You can buy them tho or give them to yourself by cheats

Awesome haha I shall be patiently waiting then lol. I haven’t even seen the Dutchman yet I’m sure there’s a quest for it somewhere I have to get. As far as these cheats go do I already have access to the cheats or is there something I’m suppose to do to enable them? I appreciate you answering all of my questions

yeah I think the governor of Cayman has a quest where the Dutchman gets involved.. I am pretty sure tho that you can't board her.

At the bottom of InternalSettings.h, there is a 0 you need to change to 1 to enable cheats. You can then choose any ship you want as starter.

If you want to acquire it in an ongoing game, you can use console functions

@Crabcore09 Ok, so we think we fixed the abilities. It will be added with the next Maelstrom update. Just follow the itch website for Maelstrom engine. When it gets updated, download and replace the engine with the latest one.

Back