• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Widescreen monitors...

T'Flok

Rocketeer
...What's the big deal with those? Why are they selling them everywhere? I rarely see 4:3 ratio monitors on sale. :?

I mean seriously.. who wants to play a game with stretched screen?
Here's example:

Would you prefer to see this twisted fugly screen?
Stretchedratiougly.jpg

Or would you prefer to see a good old normal screen?
Normalrationice.jpg

I prefer the latter and I'm glad that I have a 4:3 ratio 15 toll monitor.

I have a widescreen monitor aswell, and I absolutely love it! I will never go back to the limited real estate of a 4:3 screen. Stretching can be a bit of a problem, some video cards and monitors do a much better job than others though. Different screen resolutions also stretch better than others, try a different resolution, you'll likely find one that doesn't look quite that dramatic stretched. I usually let my monitor do the stretching, as it seems to do a much better job than my video card does. I have no problems at all playing Age of Empires on my monitor, I have to look really closely to be able to see any stretching at all.

As Meigger points out, they are fantastic for working with multiple documents, and also web pages! Also nice for watching the occasional movie. As more games come out with widescreen support, stretching issues will become a thing of the past!

Good point. :yes But still I don't like widescreens from what I've seen. :shock

Every TV in the stores here now is widescreen which distorts the picture by stretching it.. last time I tried to find a decent new TV it was pain in the arse to find a good old 4:3 ratio TV. :shock

Yeah, standard 4:3 screen TV's are getting tougher and tougher to find, they are fast becoming a thing of the past. Not much I can do to help you with that mate, it's either stretch the picture, or tolerate the black bars at the side of the screen.

If you haven't found it already mate, you might head over to www.widescreengamingforum.com, they should be able to help you with some better solutions than I can provide. They have some great info on widescreens, and they have fixes and workarounds for older 4:3 games.

THANKS FOR THE LINK MATE!!! :woot It really shed some light! So the Widescreens can be adjusted to 4:3 and whatnot. saw some pictures of the games in widescreen without stretching. :8q

Damn now I have to get a new monitor! xD:

Anytime T'Flok, glad I could help! :dance

They also had a fix for Age of Empires, no stretching on mine now, it now plays in my monitors native resolution! :woot

My TV can be adjusted so it doesn't stretch the crap out of shows, which is good since half the shows I watch were made before widescreen anything existed. xD:

It is possible to hack the video drivers in a game to allow them to accept ANY screen resolution with NO distortion. I am surprised that no one has done that for PotC yet. This is a screen shot of a car sim that was released in 1998 on DX7. Notice that the steering wheel and gauges are round.

the one plus of the widscreen is that the women in POTC or COAS now have some meat on their bones instead of the sickly thin image that our society seems to keep proliferating.
:doff

Back