• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

You could have Rivatuner running on start up if you want. But from my side at least I prefer what I described above.
But all of this will not be needed once PotC and NH move to a newer version of Storm Engine.

I just tried something out.
I made a batch file that runs both RivaTuner and PotC, and I run this to start PotC.
This way I am sure RivaTuner will run before the game, and that the FPS will be limited; without having RTSS start with Windows.

It's very simple really:
Code:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server"
start RTSS.exe
cd "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean"
start ENGINE.exe
exit
Paste this into notepad for example, change the paths to what is the case for you, and save it as a ".bat" file.

For example I have it saved as "FPS_Limit.bat" in my PotC installation folder, and then just made a shortcut to it on my desktop.
Changing it's icon to the one from "ENGINE.exe". ;)
View attachment 39145
I just found a better solution for AMD graphics that works at least for me. It again involves DGvoodoo.
If you set the output API to "Direct3D 12 (feature level 12)" there are no graphical glitches.
1643534441752.png

After that check "Force vSync" and the game works normally. No flickering menus or slow motion.
1643534560547.png

Hope this helps you all, and good luck at sea! :cheers
:ship

I just found a better solution for AMD graphics that works at least for me. It again involves DGvoodoo.
If you set the output API to "Direct3D 12 (feature level 12)" there are no graphical glitches.
When I had tried playing PotC with dgvoodo on AMD graphics, I didn't have visual glitches. What I had was: An insanely unstable game that broke save files left and right.
You should play a while if you haven't already.

When I had tried playing PotC with dgvoodo on AMD graphics, I didn't have visual glitches. What I had was: An insanely unstable game that broke save files left and right.
You should play a while if you haven't already.
That was with an old version of dgVooDoo though.
This works with the latest one.

Edit: For context. Before I learned of this, I saw that an old version of dgVooDoo did work on AMD graphics.
However that version of it was unstable. The latest version I have used as an alternative for the Intel fix, and on Nvidia graphics, and it ran normally.

Edit 2: I have played a bit with it. Done some trading, hired officers, etc.
No problems so far, saves all work normally and it hasn't crashed yet.

Last edited:
just bought the game on steam, changed the resolution on engine and set to run with reduced color mode 16 bits

do i need something else?

Back