• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 7 Crash at New Game

Semaphore

Landlubber
Hi, I recently dug out my copy of PotC, and have been attempting to get it to work on my laptop running Windows 7. The installation seems to go fine, but when I click on "New Game" on the main menu it hangs for a few seconds, then gives an engine error message and crashes to desktop. The game is a fresh install, without any mods. Also, for some reason the audio sliders in the options menu do not appear, I am not sure if this is related or not.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Make sure you are not installing the game in the Program folder - ( win 7 and also Vista don't like this )

Install the game in another folder on your drive (eg games ) & see if that solves the problem.

:cheers

Is that before installing any modpacks? What graphics card do you have?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, made sure that it wasn't in the Programs folder, and encountered the same problem. The game is a completely fresh install, no mods or anything. The graphics card is an nVidia GeForce GT 540M.
Thanks

That's weird; sounds like it should be possible for the game to run then.

Please "Enable Error Logging":
- Open "engine.ini" in your main game folder.
- Find the "debuginfo = 0" line and change it to "debuginfo = 1".
- Find the "runtimelog = 0" line and change it to "runtimelog = 1".
- Find the "tracefilesoff = 1" line and change it to "tracefilesoff = 0".
- Start the game and wait until the error occurs.
- Now find compile.log, system.log and the possible error.log in your main game folder.
- Post their contents here
It should look like this:
Code:
tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1

Ok, I ran error logging, and got compile.log and system.log. There was no error.log.
Compile.log:
Code:
Init encounters complete.
Init weathers complete. 10 weathers found.
Init character names complete.
Main_LogoVideo() 0
PauseAllSounds
ResetSoundScheme
proc_break_video()
Main_LogoVideo() -1
Can`t key named as: VK_B
Number of locations: 288
bool CreateParticleEntity()
n is 2
SETTING MUSIC: music\Coridor.ogg
ResetSoundScheme
Number of locations: 288
bool CreateParticleEntity()
n is 2
!!! Reload to 216
LoadLocation(ref loc) Tutorial_Deck

System.log:
Code:
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 179 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 123689643 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value

Code:
Can`t key named as: VK_B
Never saw that before; that's especially weird on an unmodified game version.
What happens if you DO install one of the modpacks on top? Try Build 13 Final, for example.

So, the installation for Build 13 Final seemed to work, and the game loaded to the main menu same as before, but when I try to start a new game it still crashes, with the same engine error message. It's also still missing the graphics for the volume sliders. Since it crashes when it tries to load into the actual 3d portion of the game, and seems to be having trouble with some of the interface graphics, could it be incompatible with either the graphics card or the version of DirectX?
Thanks for the help

We know the game doesn't like to run on Intel onboard graphics cards, but it should work fine with an nVidia GeForce.
I imagine you've got the latest version of DirectX installed with Windows 7, which is the same that I've got here but the game runs fine for me.

:gday

I found this in another thread. Perhaps it can help you. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17350-how-to-play-on-windows-7/page__view__findpost__p__409462

Very strange problem you have there mate, do you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7?

It might be a good idea to install DirectX 9, Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11, but the game it's self was written for DirectX 8. DX9 handles backwards compatibility a lot better, and it will install just fine on Windows 7, and it does seem to make the game work better. Also, be sure and defrag your hard drive regularly, because of the "interesting" file handling the Russians used, that makes a huge difference with this game!

I've got Windows 7 and never had to bother to install an older DirectX version; the game just works. Make of that what you will... :shrug

The problem I am having seems to be the same one that Chromide posted about in the thread Hylie Pistoff linked to. I tried using the Application Compatibility Toolkit, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. I am using 64-bit Windows 7. I will try installing DirectX 9.
Thanks

Update: I installed DirectX 9, and there has been no change. Something about my system just seems to not agree with the game.
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

The only thing that I could think of is it is something to do with your GPU being a mobile version. Might I ask what driver version you are running? (for the GPU I mean) Oh, and I don't think you have mentioned this before but, what CPU you have?

The game works perfect on my Lappy (win Vista 32 8400M) and Desktop (win 7 64 GTX460)

Now if I could finally install Win7 on my lappy I could be of some help :shrug

So, while looking in dxdiag to check my display driver version, I figured out what the problem has been. My computer has been ignoring the nVidia gpu, and defaulting to the Intel gpu. After adjusting some settings, it seems to be using the right card now, and the crashes have gone away.
Thanks for all the suggestions, it just turns out my computer has been sabotaging itself... :facepalm

Computers will do that from time to time, glad to hear you got it sorted mate! :onya

Intel graphics chipsets have got to be the biggest problem we have had over the years trying to help people get the game to work properly. I really wish Intel had just stuck to CPU's and left GPU's to company's that actually knew what they were doing.

LOL @ Thagarr; good point! :rofl

I'm glad you got it sorted, mate! That does explain things and I vaguely recall someone in the past having the same problem.
Beats me how a computer can ever get set up to ignore your proper GFX card though. :facepalm

Back