• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Windows 8 and you

Officerpuppy

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Just a general question for our more tech savy PA! members, will we be able to run PoTC, CoAS, etc, on a Win 8 platform?

No idea. All I know is that Windows 7 has no problems with it whatsoever.

From what I've heard, you'll be able to run a traditional desktop (Win7 style) as an 'application' in Windows 8, which should allow compatibility with older programs.
You'd think anything that works in Windows 7 should run properly, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to mess things up somehow. :rolleyes:

For desktop operating systems, I would avoid Windows 8 like the plague, Microsoft has once again gone off the deep end! Other than tablet and phone support, 8 is almost identical to 7, and does not support multitasking.

But to answer your question mate, like Armada says it should run it because 7 will, although I haven't tried.

Windows 8 just keeps getting better and better. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should really consider a Linux compatible engine for our new game development, Microsoft seems bent on self destructing.

Windows 8, for those of you who don’t know, relies on something called SmartScreen Application Reputation to identify and warn users of potentially dangerous desktop apps. According to Microsoft, the operating system uses SmartScreen, which was previously restricted to Internet Explorer, to conduct “an application reputation check the first time you launch applications that come from the Internet.” With SmartScreen providing an additional layer of security to Windows 8 users, they will have a lot less to worry about, right? Wrong, according to Canadian security researcher Nadim Kobeissi, who has a serious issue with the way the feature works.

“Windows SmartScreen’s purpose is to ‘screen’ every single application you try to install from the Internet in order to inform you whether it’s safe to proceed with installing it or not,” Kobeissi wrote in a blog post Friday. “There are a few serious problems here. The big problem is that Windows 8 is configured to immediately tell Microsoft about every app you download and install.”

You can read the full story HERE!

Sounds great. Well done indeed, Microsoft. :modding
At least we should be safe with Win7, which is where most people are likely to stay...

I am dreading this been released to be honest because microsoft will start releasing crap from that version as updates to win 7, just like they did after the release of vista they started implementing some features into xp. I will be watching carefully the windows updates after this new os is released and a quick and short no will be my answer to upgrading (or as i see it, down grading) to windows 8.

The way they are going with this Windows 8 push, it wouldn't surprise me to see them drop support for Windows 7 entirely, Microsoft will simply never learn, no DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7. :rolleyes:

In a recent post on the Microsoft Answers forum, Microsoft employee Daniel Moth stated, "DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8, just like DirectX 11 was part of Windows 7. DirectX 11 was made available for Vista .... but at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7."
We contacted Microsoft to get an official response but a spokesperson told us, " ... we have nothing further to share."

http://www.neowin.net/news/no-directx-111-for-windows-7-planned

Back