• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 18-pounder frigate

Bava

Wannabe Shipwright
3D Artist
QC Advisor
Storm Modeller
Hi folks,

this project should have been a surprise until its done but after showing some pics in two other threads I might as well open a new topic for it.
The ship is based on Plate 33 in Hendrik af Chapman´s Architectura Mercatoria Navalis and is described as a privateer with 26 18 pounders on the main battery and 12 6 pounders on quarter and fore deck (I think I´ll replace the 6 pounders with carronades, though).

All done with Blender 2.49a, tris count is ca. 19.500, no textures used , just materials.

PA3.jpeg

PA2.jpeg

PA1.jpeg

Keel and fasle keel in detail

PA5.jpeg

Wireframe

PA6.jpeg

PA4.jpeg

The colour scheme is based on the contemporary model of a Bellona-class frigate (also designed by Chapman) in the swedish national maritime museum.

Chapfreg.jpg

C&C more than welcome!

Regards,
Bava

That is BEAUTIFUL! Of course materials-only means no reskinning, which is a bit of a shame.
But other than that, she's wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing her in my game! :woot

thanks, pieter, I´m glad you like her :)

Of course she´s going to get some textures some time soon, I just haven´t had the time to do a decent UV-mapping until now.

She is indeed beautiful, and i definitely need to polish the hull as you said... do i'm a little lazy these days...
BTW is it Blender Internal ? the water looks awesome !

@Kazeite: Makehuman should give you a start, with human-like figureheads at least

Thanks guys :)

Chango´s right, MakeHuman is a great start when it comes to modelling human figureheads. Unfortunately it produces high-poly models (ca. 30000 faces) so you still have to do your own low-poly version, I did the current one with good old subsurfing (blender´s poly-reducing script sucks, btw) :modding But its definitly a great help to get the pose and the postion of the limbs right.

And yes, its the internal renderer as I´m too stupid to use Yafray/Mosaic/whatever ... :cheeky
I can send you the material file if you want to.

Regards,
Bava

Oh yeah, I would feel like being in paradise when sailing this beauty!!!!Or such a ship like bava´s signature ;-)

Oh, its still on my comp, I just got tired of fixing hundreds of modelling errors - the boston was my first serious 3D project - after doing the rigging. But she will be ingame someday (the game could be Corsairs IV, though ;) )

Or such a ship like bava´s signature

The ship is the Sphynx, a 20 gun "jackass" frigate. I just got the hull done but nothing else to show atm.

But back to my current project, was in uv-mapping mood today and here´s the result:

PA_11.jpeg
PA12.jpeg

I´m pretty happy with the flow of the planking, some glitches are still left, but it shouldn´t take to long to fix them. Next: modelling the 18 pounders :D

Looking good, although you might've gone a little bit overboard with polycount. But, hey, you know me - I always complain about polycount :D

Anyway, thanks for the link to the MakeHuman program, guys, although it's not much of use for me - for example, version for Windows doesn't seem to have option to pose figures... And besides, it's not very helpful when you're struggling to model a figurehead of Goddess of Victory in flowing robes :)

@Bava... Check this out... very interesting stuff about texturing, glitches corrections, normal mapping...
@Kazeite i forgot to mention, search for the old version... i bet you downloaded the RC right ?

Edit: I just can't find the cursed thing... it's like they erased it from the face of the earth... well, sorta :shrug
I think i still have the installer

Looking good, although you might've gone a little bit overboard with polycount. But, hey, you know me - I always complain about polycount

Hehe, yeah, your´re right with the polycount, but I really tried to keep it as low as I could. The ship will a bit a under the PotBS recommendation of 2000 tris per meter at the waterline, so the performance hit shouldn´t be to hard.

And here´s the link to the old version of MakeHuman, just click on "jetzt downloaden".

And besides, it's not very helpful when you're struggling to model a figurehead of Goddess of Victory in flowing robes

The wings could be a problem :D
*pokes Kazeite* You don´t want tell us which ship Nike is going to decorate?

@SC

Great link, I never thought that modelling a stone could be that interesting :p

Oh, it's for PotBS? Oh, never mind then - if its actually below their recomendations, than I can only congratulate you on your efficiency :)

As for which ship I need Nike for, well, let's just say it's simply a higher-poly upgrade of an older work :D

@SuperChango: Thanks, I'll do that. And yeah, that link sure was interesting - although I don't use Blender, several techniques presented are pretty much universal :)

Its for the Build mod, sorry if my post was a bit misleading. I just use their polylimit as a guideline. Ideally she´ll have 75000 tris fully rigged (complete hull + standing rigging) with hull and cannons around 40000 faces. Its thats too much for the PotC engine (but I really don´t think so), I´ll do the standing and running rigging with locators.

As for which ship I need Nike for, well, let's just say it's simply a higher-poly upgrade of an older work

Ahhhhh...I think I´m going to like the upgrade for the :::::::::::. :cheeky

Well !! glad you liked the link mates, i've found it pretty interesting myself.
And (back to topic) about standing rigging... do you guys model the masts as full and then cut them to the broken ones (that show when hit with chainshots) or just the undamaged version ?... i ask because in the models that i imported the masts show broken only...

The real masts are added through locators; they're seperate models.

Its for the Build mod, sorry if my post was a bit misleading. I just use their polylimit as a guideline.
Oh. In that case, your polycount may be just fine for PotBS engine, but is certainly too high for PotC/CoAS engine, at least in my opinion. PotBS polylimits are meant to be used only for PotBS ships, which all use the same set of textures. With PotC/CoAS engine, where every ship uses at least one distinct texture, this may prove to be too much where performance is concerned (especially if it's non-unique ship).

(Or, to put it in simpler terms: what is good for PotBS engine is definitely not good for PotC engine)

So, yes, please, please try to do rigging with locators :)

(Oh, and btw: the wings were actually the simplest thing to model :D )

Back