• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Various Side Quest Fixes

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
To be more specific:
A girl won in a card game
  • I've played and won several poker games but when I finish I either get stuck "sitting" ( scr1.jpg scr2.jpg ) or I'll get the info about patrols (even if I'm not playing with a soldier)
  • can you plz give me some hints on how to get this quest?
Church Protection
  • I have this quest since an eternity but I can't for the life of me find such a (bronze was it?) cross! I always open all containers, loot all enemies and so on, but to no avail :-\
  • Is this cross someplace specific?
Help the church
  • I can't land anywhere on Barbados anymore!? I've sailed to every port and shore, but I don't get the option to land.
  • There is also no island location in the sail-to menu; only the ships around the island
  • see attached savegame
Hard Labors of an Assassin
  • ok, this is gonna be a far stretch, as I didn't report this when it happened (being right in the middle of another side-quest), but I never got the option when talking to Ambroz Bricenos
  • but maybe one could tell from the save if something's wrong?

Attachments

• -=Player=- Open Sea September 18th, 1752.7z
    703.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
  • I've played and won several poker games but when I finish I either get stuck "sitting" ( ) or I'll get the info about patrols (even if I'm not playing with a soldier)
Getting stuck sitting sounds unintentional. Can that be tested from the save you posted as well?

• I have this quest since an eternity but I can't for the life of me find such a (bronze was it?) cross! I always open all containers, loot all enemies and so on, but to no avail :-\
  • Is this cross someplace specific?
It's just a regular "Bronze Cross"; not very special at all.
It could be that it is SO not special that the game doesn't bother generating it for you anymore.
There is another sure-fire way to get it though: Enter the Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey through the main entrance.

• I can't land anywhere on Barbados anymore!? I've sailed to every port and shore, but I don't get the option to land.
  • There is also no island location in the sail-to menu; only the ships around the island
  • see attached savegame
Probably the reloads have been disabled at some point for quest purposes.
Looks like it may have been the Claire Larousse sidequest that did it. Execute this through console to fix:
Code:
Island_SetReloadEnableGlobal("Oxbay", true);

• ok, this is gonna be a far stretch, as I didn't report this when it happened (being right in the middle of another side-quest), but I never got the option when talking to Ambroz Bricenos
You mean right at the beginning of that quest?
He's supposed to come up to talk to you the very first time you enter the Grenada Tavern.

If I recall, if you tell him you're not interested at that point, he disappears along with your ability to start the quest.
Maybe instead he should start sitting in the tavern so you can talk to him again? But that isn't the case at the moment.

You can try to reset the quest start with this console code:
Code:
   PChar.quest.Hitman = "";
   PChar.quest.Hit_start.win_condition.l1 = "location";
   PChar.quest.Hit_start.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
   PChar.quest.Hit_start.win_condition.l1.location = "Conceicao_tavern";
   PChar.quest.Hit_start.win_condition = "Hit_start";

On the "reload to shore" at Barbados:
- Disabled during the "Strange Things" sidequest when you are meant to save the Montanez from the two Animist ships
- Enabled again if the ship dies OR if both animist ships died
- Nigel Blythe sea battle temporarily disables "whatever island you're at"
- Double-crossing Claire Larrousse triggers a sea battle where the reloads are disabled
- When you kill her ship, the reload is disabled AGAIN (this looks like a bug, because it should probably be enabled there)
- Again when her quest ends and escaping to worldmap, the reloads are DIS-abled (probably another code error)

So definitely that Larousse sidequest looks VERY suspect. Basically it only disables the reloads and never sets it right.
Should be fixed for the next update, but that doesn't help you now. That console command should do the trick though. :yes

Probably the reloads have been disabled at some point for quest purposes.
That's what I thought :)
-> and it works again, thanks to you!

first time you enter the Grenada Tavern.
Oh, he did talk to me (because of this other quest; I can't remember which one though :-(
(now that I talked to him: I'm not so sure about this anymore; could also have been that I just blew him off and canceled that quest...)

You can try to reset the quest start with this console code:
That did it, thanks!

Enter the Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey
Ok, I will! I just thought this part would come after finding the cross and moving forward with the quest... well, I'm gonna try my luck :)

Thats strange: A girl won in a card game" work just fine to me.

Use this one: (just speak to Carlos Resende; he is a player)
Thanks for that. Turns out that apparently if you "gamble with a soldier for the smuggling time" once, that effect NEVER RESETS.
Seriously so bloody annoying if modders don't make sure their work actually works. :diomed

• I've played and won several poker games but when I finish I either get stuck "sitting" ( ) or I'll get the info about patrols (even if I'm not playing with a soldier)
1. Save random_guards_group_dialog.c to your PROGRAM\DIALOGS folder.
That should prevent the "guard effects" from getting stuck ON in the future as this actually disables it again after it is done.
It also replaces an "or" with an "and" check which seems to me to be more correct.
Since that only works after going through it another time, you can use this console command to trigger the reset manually:
Code:
DeleteAttribute(pchar,"quest.Contraband.WonGame");

2. Save gamble.c to your PROGRAM\INTERFACE folder.
This should ensure the whole "soldier dialog stuff" happens ONLY if you actually talking to a soldier.
Also removes some superfluous checks.

3. You need to do a bit more gambling; your "gambling counter" was at just under 40, but you need just over 40 for that quest to trigger.

4. That quest can ONLY trigger in all taverns from the original game, but not any of the mod-added ones.
For some strange reason, the Grenada tavern is an exception to that rule, though Bonaire is in there TWICE.
Save attached Habitue_dialog.c to your PROGRAM\DIALOGS folder to enable it for Grenada as well.

I wonder if it is safe to enable it for ALL taverns. I don't much like "non-stock-game town discrimination" like that.

Attachments

• random_guards_group_dialog.c
    6.6 KB · Views: 113
  • gamble.c
    100.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Habitue_dialog.c
    21.2 KB · Views: 116
Ok, I will! I just thought this part would come after finding the cross and moving forward with the quest... well, I'm gonna try my luck :)
It should be possible to find those common Bronze Crosses in other places as well.
But if they don't show up, the Abbey is one place you can definitely always get them.
Which is quite convenient, since that's where you need it anyway. :cheeky

As far as I can tell from your player attributes, you must have cancelled the "Hard Labours" sidequest. If you do that, you won't be able to restart it again.
That may be a bit unfair though, so I will include this quest code change in the next update:
Code:
    case "Hit_refused_Ambroz":
     // dialog exit from Ambroz
       // PB: Allow starting the quest again -->
       characters[GetCharacterIndex("Ambroz Bricenos")].dialog.currentnode = "wetjob2";
       LAi_SetCitizenType(characterFromID("Ambroz Bricenos"));
       EndQuestMovie();TrackQuestMovie("end","Hit_refused_Ambroz_end");
       bDisableFastReload = 0;
       // PB: Allow starting the quest again <--

/*   DeleteEnterLocationQuest("Conceicao_tavern", "Hit_start_check");
       LAi_ActorGoToLocation(CharacterFromID("Ambroz Bricenos"), "reload", "reload1", "none", "", "", "Hit_refused_Ambroz_end", 3.0);
     break;

case "Hit_refused_Ambroz_end":
       EndQuestMovie();TrackQuestMovie("end","Hit_refused_Ambroz_end");
       bDisableFastReload = 0;

//END QUEST
       LAi_QuestDelay("Hit_END", 0.0);*/
     break;
With that in place, rather than completely cancelling the quest, Ambroz remains walking around in case you change your mind.

I didn't bother adding any "nice dialogs" to handle this; but it seems at least functional.

Thanks for reporting this stuff! Some of this was definitely wrong in the game code and those things are better when they're rectified. ;)
I think I've now fixed all the issues you mentioned.

the Abbey is one place you can definitely always get them
Now that I've been there, I know that too :p
(bloody annoying dungeon though; I've tried drawing it so I wouldn't get lost, but almost everything looks the same, so I couldn't even do that :-\)

About the "A girl won in a card game": I'll get back to you on that!

You can buy maps from stores and street traders. They don't all have maps, and those who have them don't always have the ones you need. But if you're persistent, you should find some who will have dungeon maps among their collection for sale.

Then again, if you're persistent, you may find one who'll sell you the cross, saving you a lot of effort. :D

Then again, if you're persistent, you may find one who'll sell you the cross, saving you a lot of effort. :D
Eventually that sidequest sends you into the Maltese Knight Abbey anyway.

For the crosses though, you don't need to go all the way into the dungeon.
Just the top floor will get you those.

For the crosses though, you don't need to go all the way into the dungeon.
Oh, I meant after the part with the crosses; searching for the exorcist (and his rifle)...

And while we are at it: I cannot get rid of the exzessives scopes!? Because when you talk to the priests and you have several crosses, you'll get a scope for each one. I already had two until I noticed the bug, but now I'm left with one I don't need...
("if(sti(GetAttribute(itemARef, "price")) <= 1)" is still commented out...)

Is it just me?
When equipping the scoped rifle I cannot use my sword?
So I can only give one shot and quick-change back to my sword... not very useful in my opinion.

Last edited:
I thought I posted the following already... anywho:

A little problem with the assassin's quest, that I was able to begin now.
I'm at the house of my first target and it's locked! I've tried at varying hours (mornin, afternoon, night, ...), to no avail :-\

Plz. see attached save. TY

Attachments

• -=Player=- QuickSave 58.7z
    735.7 KB · Views: 97
And while we are at it: I cannot get rid of the exzessives scopes!? Because when you talk to the priests and you have several crosses, you'll get a scope for each one
You have a save in the church for that? Sounds like that quest isn't closing properly; you should really only get one! :shock

When equipping the scoped rifle I cannot use my sword?
With that rifle and a scope attached, you can press the Tab button to go into "first person shooter" mode. This is also possible if you have the "Expert Marksman" ability.
I can't remember now if that Long Rifle forces you into first-person mode or not. While I was heavily involved in making that feature, it was 1-2 years ago or so and I don't remember. :facepalm

A little problem with the assassin's quest, that I was able to begin now.
I'm at the house of my first target and it's locked! I've tried at varying hours (mornin, afternoon, night, ...), to no avail :-\
I wonder if that is a side-effect of cancelling that quest at first.
It was never really meant to be restarted after it had been fully closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if stuff doesn't work entirely right.
When I'm back home, I can probably find a console command that takes care of it.

Is that save right in front of the closed door? Just want to make sure I can save myself the trouble of figuring out where to go....

It does. At least with the scope.
That matches with my memory then.
Basically that rifle isn't particularly awesome, but you might be able to have some fun with its First Person Mode.
If you really want to go mental with that, Clint Eastwood's Shotgun would be even more fun.
But that one REALLY throws historical realism out the window! :rofl

See here for our discussions on that feature: Fixed - Custom Quest Musket | Page 8 | PiratesAhoy!
And this is also vaguely related: Included in Build - Shotgun Easter Egg? | PiratesAhoy!

Back