• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Custom Quest Musket

Let me thing over it for a while @Pieter Boelen , are you going to add the person in the abby or should I do it?

Let me thing over it for a while @Pieter Boelen , are you going to add the person in the abby or should I do it?
I suppose I could put a corpse there with an item on it. Should not be too hard.
Will copy the trick @Jack Rackham used in Tortuga. :cheeky

Can you handle some way to get the Telescope from a blacksmith for the time being?

My suggestions for the sounds:
- Musketoon: Keep @Jack Rackham's loud sound as this fires grapeshot
- Musket: Use @Pillat's reduced sound effect
- Pump Shotgun: Use existing pistol_shotgun.wav that for some reason wasn't in use :facepalm

Out of interest, here's what a 19th century telescopic sight looked like:
Scoped_CW_Target_Rifle_Full_R2.jpg
Rather longer than a 20th century sight. ;)

I am fine with your suggestion Pieter, and btw, the pumpgun sound is indeed used, by the pumpgun ;)

But, if nobody (especially Jack Rackham since it is his wav file) has anything against it, I'd like to normalize the musketoon sound a bit since it is incredible loud..

I am fine with your suggestion Pieter, and btw, the pumpgun sound is indeed used, by the pumpgun ;)
Not according to the code. It was set to use "OBJECTS\DUEL\pistol_big.wav" in my copy of initItems.c for some reason. Not anymore!

But, if nobody (especially Jack Rackham since it is his wav file) has anything against it, I'd like to normalize the musketoon sound a bit since it is incredible loud..
Go right ahead. :onya

Corpse with Long Rifle now added to the Maltese Knight Abbey Crypt. If it wasn't worthwhile to visit there before, it IS now!

Still to do: Getting the Telescope from somewhere by @Levis.
This should be quite a bit easier than getting the Improved Aiming ability, otherwise there isn't that much point in assembling a special Long Rifle.

@Levis, am I correct in saying that the Gunsmith Fetch Quest is rather uncommon because there is only one Gunsmith in the Caribbean?
That would make the related perk quite hard to get, which isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Then how about having the regular Blacksmiths give you the Telescope upon completing a Fetch Quest?
That is much more likely to happen, so you can get that and the Long Rifle earlier in the game if you want to.

Okay @Pieter Boelen I fixed the going to and from the shotgun mode. You will now go back to fightmode.
There is a little delay (which I wanted in), if you press tab it takes about 1 second to get the shotgun ready sometimes the game will wait untill it shows the first person untill the second is over but in most cases it will go there instantly and then the crosshair will appear.
If you go out the character starts drawing its sword very quick.
If you dont like the delay you can change them in seadogs.c
You probally need to remove the other guns again but thats not that hard.

Also after you shot in shotgun mode (and hit something) the game will reverse to normal mode and you can't trigger it again untill your gun is loaded again.

I strongly sugest to use the same technique as I used here for the quest circumstances but you know better how those work so I leave that up to you.

Also included in here:
New description for the improve aiming.
Perks interface fix

Attachments

• NEW_FIXES_LEVIS_1_0.zip
    65.5 KB · Views: 94
@Levis, am I correct in saying that the Gunsmith Fetch Quest is rather uncommon because there is only one Gunsmith in the Caribbean?
That would make the related perk quite hard to get, which isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Then how about having the regular Blacksmiths give you the Telescope upon completing a Fetch Quest?
That is much more likely to happen, so you can get that and the Long Rifle earlier in the game if you want to.

Hmmm....Actually I wanted to tie it to donating to the curch. If you donated a large amount to the curch they would give you it as a token of friendship.
And Yes the gunsmith fetch quest is very uncommon. It could take up to a few months or even a year to appear, altough I might make this a bit more common.

Hmmm....Actually I wanted to tie it to donating to the curch. If you donated a large amount to the curch they would give you it as a token of friendship.
Also fine by me. Perhaps relating it to the church allows you to add some dialog about the unfortunate exorcist, along with a hint on where to find the gun that goes with the telescope.

I do wonder how many people would actually bother donating to the church?
This might actually be a good incentive. But they do need to know about it.

As I said, uncommon Gunsmith Fetch Quest is OK by me as that makes achieving First Person Aiming harder and makes the Long Rifle more worthwhile.

I will try to add a hint somewhere so you know donating to the curch could help you :).
Might add it to the tavern rumors or something like that.

I also like tieing it to the church a bit so I can give the hint indeed.
Got the files of the dead adventurer so I know his name etc?

Oh and if you need anything more on the shotgun mode let me know but if we have the telescope added I think this is all done then :).
Oh btw what is the item id for the telescope (to lazy to look it up :p ).

I will try to add a hint somewhere so you know donating to the curch could help you :).
Might add it to the tavern rumors or something like that.
Maybe a "church needs help" note? That might encourage you to go and give them some money? Like a simplified Fetch Quest where you don't have to go anywhere else to get the stuff.
Maybe at that point, any reputation bonus provided for doing so is double its usual value?

I also like tieing it to the church a bit so I can give the hint indeed.
Got the files of the dead adventurer so I know his name etc?
I used @Jack Rackham's Tortuga trick, so it is a corpse model placed on a randitem locator.
There is no name to display this way, so you can make up your own name.

Oh and if you need anything more on the shotgun mode let me know but if we have the telescope added I think this is all done then :).
Oh btw what is the item id for the telescope (to lazy to look it up :p ).
Believe it or not, but it is actually "telescope" ! :cheeky

Had to do a bit more figuring out on @Levis' Shotgun Mode changes, but I think I got there in the end.

Overview now:

Regular Guns: Shotgun Mode enabled by pressing Tab, requires ammo, regular reload time, drop out of shotgun mode after every shot
Pump Shotgun: Shotgun Mode enabled by pressing Tab, requires ammo, 1-second reload time, drop out of shotgun mode only when all ammo has been used
Long Rifle with Telescope: Shotgun Mode enabled as soon as you draw your blade, does not require ammo, 1-second reload time, never drop out of Shotgun Mode

The Long Rifle with Telescope probably works perfectly well for @Bartolomeu o Portugues' quest use.
But it also works more like a real Shotgun than the Shotgun does. o_O

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this differently?

Here are my thoughts:

Regular Guns: Shotgun Mode enabled by pressing Tab, requires ammo, regular reload time, drop out of shotgun mode after every shot
Long Rifle with Telescope: Same as regular guns, but does NOT require special ability to use first person mode
Pump Shotgun: Shotgun Mode enabled by pressing Tab, does not require ammo, 1-second reload time, never drop out of Shotgun Mode
Bartolomeu Quest Gun by @Jack Rackham: Same as Pump Shotgun, but Shotgun Mode enabled as soon as you draw your blade

That does actually make the Long Rifle with Telescope not exceptionally special and makes the Pump Shotgun much more special (and insane!).
The Long Rifle is special as long as you don't have the Ability, so it should take quite a while to get that it or otherwise there is no point to the two items.
We should also have the telescope increase its accuracy and damage values to make it a proper strong gun, regardless of shotgun mode or not.

I wonder if Jack Rackham has any thoughts on sensible values for all this.
Also, I'd need his extra Quest Rifle to be able to set this up properly.

hmm.. I think of a good point for the long rifle, but I'm afraid we can't handle it due to engine limitations.. the shots in shotgun mode have quite much spread but don't go for a long range.. so for the long rifle, it would be perfect if we would have extremely little spread but therefore ranges through the whole location..

If we leave that out, I can only think of making the long rifle extremely fast to reload (not 1 second but like 2-4) so it has an advantage in this mode. Maybe we can add an accuracy loss in hipfire mode for that gun? Or some other negative aspect so that you have to use the sg-mode (I will call it Free-Aim Mode from now on, since shotgun mode sounds odd) to get the whole potential of this gun. Together with this, not needing the perk is also a good idea, but only for not needing the perk, I wouldn't risk my (characters) life only for that gun:no

If I think about that.. the Free Aim Mode would make more sense if it would actually give some kind of advantage compared to the hipfire mode.. since it would be quite senseless to spend skillpoints only for that (If we can't do that, it is still extremely nice to have this feature working so good ;) )

There is more good stuff in the Maltese Knight Abbey than just the gun. Gain experience, lots of loot, treasure to dig for, possible to increase your HP.
Plenty to do there. But, yes, dangerous indeed.
The presence of the gun there is more a reason to suggest people to go there, but it shouldn't be the ONLY reason to go there. :shock

The ability that unlocks Free Aim Mode (indeed better to call it that way) provides several other advantages as well.
Also... It's just fun to do that once in a while.

Had to do a bit more figuring out on @Levis' Shotgun Mode changes, but I think I got there in the end.

Overview now:

Pump Shotgun: Shotgun Mode enabled by pressing Tab, requires ammo, 1-second reload time, drop out of shotgun mode only when all ammo has been used
Long Rifle with Telescope: Shotgun Mode enabled as soon as you draw your blade, does not require ammo, 1-second reload time, never drop out of Shotgun Mode

The Long Rifle with Telescope probably works perfectly well for @Bartolomeu o Portugues' quest use.
But it also works more like a real Shotgun than the Shotgun does. o_O
Above situation now included in here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/simplified-build-14-beta-3-3-wip-code.23064
You can get the Long Rifle in the game now, but not yet the Telescope since that is up to @Levis.

Back