• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug (World)Map Position Jumping Around During DirectSail

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
One thing I wish this game did have was latitude and longitude. You have a map, compass, and sextant and still don't know where you are. Hitting "M" for map is useless as it shows your ship in some random spot that changes radically every time you look. Because of this I have to island hop instead of heading directly for my destination.

One thing I wish this game did have was latitude and longitude.
Unfortunately, the way the game works, global coordinates don't really exist at all.
You have your coordinates on the world map and you've got coordinates in the 3D scene (measured from some spot probably near the centre of the closest island).
Unfortunately the world map and the island models don't properly fit together and their scale is different.
That makes it a nearly impossible task to solve properly.

@LarryHookins probably knows more about this.

Also no idea why your ship appears in random spots on the map; someone must have thought that would be a good "realism" issue. Maybe you can turn that... feature... off in options somewhere.
Nope, that's not an intentional feature.

I think it must be the issue you once tried to fix.

Nope, that's not an intentional feature.

I think it must be the issue you once tried to fix.

If you're talking about teleporting to the wrong spot when going to or from the world map, that was caused by the fact that Isla Mona was MUCH larger in the 3D world than it was depicted on the world map.

If the map display shows your ship in the wrong spot some of that can be fixed, some cannot. We got Active Map for TEHO working quite well with only very minor differences compared to ports. Of course if you are sailing near the mainland all bets are off because the scale is different there and it's unlikely anyone will be able to do a proper conversion for it. Even having the exact longitude and latitude won't help there.

Hook

If you're talking about teleporting to the wrong spot when going to or from the world map, that was caused by the fact that Isla Mona was MUCH larger in the 3D world than it was depicted on the world map.
I *think* that might be what @Hylie Pistof experiences. Or at least... I hope so!
If it is something else, I cannot even begin to guess what's going on.

Not entirely. I've had the problem when I've been nowhere near Isla Mona.

All of Cuba seems to be in the wrong place, for a start. You can cruise up the east side of Cuba on the worldmap, be right next to the island, not see a land icon, and switch to sailing mode to find yourself in open sea. Then you go back to worldmap, the land icon appears, and you're somewhere else up the east coast. Conversely, the west coast seems to extend alnost the whole way to Cozumel - only when you're almost at Cozumel does the land icon from when you were near Cuba disappear.

Or you sail somewhere near the north or west of Hispaniola - the opposite end from Isla Mona. Switch to worldmap, now you're in Port au Prince bay. Not ideal when you were trying to head for Tortuga with a pirate flag at the masthead...

Anything involving Cuba and the mainland will be problematic because the map scale is different in those island regions. I don't think I ever sailed to Cuba in New Horizons, but I have in TEHO. They have the same problem with both mainland and Cuba.

I'm not sure why Hispaniola might have problems other than the ones I've encountered around Isla Mona. As far as I know the scale of Hispaniola is the same as the rest of the map (except mainland and Cuba). I have ended up near Port au Prince when I had been near Isla Mona. But I seldom ever used the world map except for testing so I don't know all the problems.

Hook

I know it's impossible in this game and was just engaging in wishfull thinking.

I used to do direct sail from Havana to Sao Jorge with no problems but now it just isn't worth the bother. Either I don't have the patience and/or the game has changed. And when I check my position on the map I do it at least three times and average it out to figure out roughly where I am.

I used to do direct sail from Havana to Sao Jorge with no problems but now it just isn't worth the bother. Either I don't have the patience and/or the game has changed.
As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed with that.
Certainly not intentionally.

And when I check my position on the map I do it at least three times and average it out to figure out roughly where I am.
That actually sounds surprisingly realistic! :cheeky

(But not the way it should be...)

Back