• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed WorldMap: Names Missing for Small Islands

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
I use Directsail myself almost exclusively, and the main problem i encounter is that the uninhabited islands are not on the map. It makes it really confusing if you've set the discription the lookout gives you to only very basic (as in, he doesn't tell you which island you've arrived at). I'm pretty sure i've found the chronometer before level 16 though. Guess i got lucky.

What Islands aren't on what map???
The map is auto generated from the worldmap coordinates, if I recall...

What Islands aren't on what map???
The map is auto generated from the worldmap coordinates, if I recall...

That may be, but the uninhabited ones don't actually have a worldmap model, aside from a collision-lacking thing that doesn't look anything like the inabited islands.

Although now that i've had a closer look at the worldmap, i can actually see a pair of miniscule specs of land. They aren't where i'd expect them to be though. If i recall correctly, they were originally put in place to provide a kind of hub for the player to cross the larger stretches of ocean. Petit Tabac is currently in between Barbados and La Grenade, if i'm reading the map right, but that doesn't explain why i found it in between La Genade and Bonaire while using directsail. Chalk it up to standard directsail weirdness, i guess. If i hadn't known what to look for though, i'd have never noticed them on the map. Is that working as intended?

Now I'm confused. I recently played in Early Explorers where there are lots of uninhabited islands and they look normal except that you can't land on them.

That island between Barbados and Grenada is called Battle Rock methinks, and because there are so many islands so close together there strange things happen because their boundaries overlap. When sailing from Grenada to Bonaire it is best to stay close to shore until you are West of Grenada or strange things can happen.

Last edited:
Then where is petit tabac? Now I'm confused. You'd think the name and location would show up on the worldmap if the lookout knows what it is.

That may be, but the uninhabited ones don't actually have a worldmap model, aside from a collision-lacking thing that doesn't look anything like the inabited islands.
Are you talking about Build 13 now? When @Armada redid the entire worldmap, he ensured that those tiny islands DO now have a worldmap model.
And you can indeed NOT sail through them:
upload_2015-12-14_19-25-27.png

Although now that i've had a closer look at the worldmap, i can actually see a pair of miniscule specs of land. They aren't where i'd expect them to be though. If i recall correctly, they were originally put in place to provide a kind of hub for the player to cross the larger stretches of ocean.
Petit Tabac, formerly "Battle Rocks" was indeed originally intended for that purpose.
But the "cell island navigation" that required it hasn't been in use in many years, so the islands didn't need to be in the middle of nowhere anymore.
So it has been relocated and repurposed.

All that being said, they SHOULD show their names on the worldmap at least. That's a bit odd and I'm looking into that one now...

Petit Tabac is currently in between Barbados and La Grenade, if i'm reading the map right, but that doesn't explain why i found it in between La Genade and Bonaire while using directsail.
In my experience (Iron Man, usually), Petit Tabac is found north from La Grenade. Meaning, for directsail purposes, not south. ;) Still, I usually can go towards Bonaire - Curaçao - Aruba from La Grenade without visiting Petit Tabac. But not to Martinique.
That's more or less corresponds to what I see on the map.

There were some wrong function calls in the WorldMap code that prevented the island names from showing up there.
Extract attached worldmap_init.zip to PROGRAM\WorldMap to fix. Executing this through console may be enough to convince them to show:
Code:
wdmInit();
If that doesn't work, new game would be required.

There was actually code in place to deliberately NOT show the names of these small islands in the Archipelago Map Interface.
But because of the above mentioned bug, that code didn't actually serve its purpose at all. Now it does.

However, with only a small bit of extra effort, I got this:
upload_2015-12-14_19-48-54.png

Extract a_map.zip to PROGRAM\INTERFACE to make use of this one.

Better? :cheeky

Attachments

• a_map.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Works for me (after wdmInit() from the console). :bow

I always was pressing rmb to see what those rocks are and thinking it works as intended.

There were some wrong function calls in the WorldMap code that prevented the island names from showing up there.
Extract attached worldmap_init.zip to PROGRAM\WorldMap to fix. Executing this through console may be enough to convince them to show:
Code:
wdmInit();
If that doesn't work, new game would be required.

There was actually code in place to deliberately NOT show the names of these small islands in the Archipelago Map Interface.
But because of the above mentioned bug, that code didn't actually serve its purpose at all. Now it does.

However, with only a small bit of extra effort, I got this:
View attachment 24578
Extract a_map.zip to PROGRAM\INTERFACE to make use of this one.

Better? :cheeky

Perfect. :cheeky i love quick fixes.

Extract attached to PROGRAM\ISLANDS as alternate fix.

This does admittedly make for a bit of a silly approach: WHY would you use fake island names with spaces instead of IDs???
But that is how the unmodded game had it for its worldmap code too, so perhaps it is better to apply the same logic to the new islands.
"Don't fix what isn't broken" and all that kind of stuff.... :facepalm

I'm hoping this may have a positive effect on this issue too: Unconfirmed Bug - stuttering in the world map | PiratesAhoy!
As a test, I spent 100+ consecutive days on the worldmap, mostly hanging around Petit Tabac and Isla Mona, and didn't get that error.log entry anymore.
But I don't know if that means anything, since that was never a consistent problem to begin with.
Just random and therefore EXTREMELY annoying to fix. o_O

Attachments

• islands.zip
    3 KB · Views: 162
I always was pressing rmb to see what those rocks are and thinking it works as intended.
What is "rmb"?

I also seem to recall that it DID work as intended at some point in the past; otherwise why would there be code in place to prevent it?
So this who thing doesn't make sense to me. But wrong it was, at least for the names not showing up on the actual worldmap.

Anyway, it should be better now so not worth fussing over any further, I suppose. :shrug

So this is fixed?

So this is fixed?
Yep, should be working now.

We may want to consider getting rid of the with spaces/without spaces differences in the island ID calls.
But that isn't technically broken, so I don't think I want to risk touching that....

Yep, should be working now.

We may want to consider getting rid of the with spaces/without spaces differences in the island ID calls.
But that isn't technically broken, so I don't think I want to risk touching that....
For now lets not try more rewrites ;).

Back