• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

Have you changed the working units from cm to m and enlarged the model? If so, it could be that locators DO appear when created, but they're so tiny that you can hardly see them.
To be absolutely sure if a locator has appeared, use the Hypergraph window, which displays a list of all the components in the scene (and their hierarchy).
To fix the tiny locators being produced, try making a new scene, with the correct working units (set metres to default), and importing the model into that scene.

Once that's sorted, try this:
  • Create a new locator (its name is unimportant)
  • Parent all the model components (that you want to export) to this locator.
  • Select the locator and go to File -> (box next to Export Selection).
  • Choose the same options you used last time, and export the model.

It should hopefully export properly and should be viewable in GM Viewer. It won't have any locators, though; they will need to be added separately when using this method.
A blank error document is always generated, along with a 'stat' file which basically details a few things about the exported model. There will also be .atg files created, which you can delete.

You can use the same single-locator export for each model component of your ship, as long as you position the component such that its intended centre of rotation is at (0,0,0).
This is especially important for the masts and yards. I'd recommend using this method:
  • Make a note of all the mast models' current coordinates. This will be useful for making the geometry locators later.
  • Temporarily parent all the yard models to their respective mast models. This will allow you to move the masts into export position without the yards being left in mid-air.
  • Position all the mast models' bases at (0,0,0).
  • Now, note down all the individual yard models' positions, and then un-parent them from the masts. Again, this is required for accurate locators.
  • Move every yard model to (0,0,0).

The yards and masts can now be exported in exactly the same way as the hull, by creating a locator for each one and parenting the model to it.
I hope this helps you to get the export process under way, and at least to get an idea of what happens each time. If any of the above doesn't make sense, just say. ;)

Thanks! now it creates a gm file, but...it wont show up in the gm viewer and when I export it usually comes up with an "exporter internal error" message, and a box titled "RDF export" that says export object 5/10" though it still creates a file I can click on and try to load, it just wont though :modding ill keep trying at it but has anyone experienced this before?

So I just got the bowsprit to export, but it looks like this in the GM viewer... :?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/6930223985/in/photostream

Thanks! now it creates a gm file, but...it wont show up in the gm viewer and when I export it usually comes up with an "exporter internal error" message, and a box titled "RDF export" that says export object 5/10" though it still creates a file I can click on and try to load, it just wont though :modding ill keep trying at it but has anyone experienced this before?
I got that exporter error message the other day when trying to export your rescaled Constitution, though I was experimenting with trying to export it with locators- and failed. :modding

So I just got the bowsprit to export, but it looks like this in the GM viewer... :?

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
OK... that's definitely messed up. It looks as though you tried to export some double-sided geometry. Do all the components have the right render stats?
It might help if you post the contents of the 'stat' file here, which might give me a clue as to what went wrong.

For some reason, my version of Maya decided to delete the GM export plug-in, so I need to reinstall that before running any more tests.
Once that's done, I'll be able to list all the options you need to have checked/un-checked at various points, so we can hopefully get this export done properly.

Alright, so turns out I didnt have double sided unchecked with the bowsprit, but it works now! :cheeky I think the thing was I selected everything and unchecked doublsided, but I have to select each object for it to actually work. anyways, the bowsprit works, and the masts should too, but they need repositioning still along with the yards like you described,so hopefully those will go smoothly. I think I exported the path right too. Unfortunately I fixed the double-sidded parts of the hull and it still wont export :modding so ill take another look at it when I have the other parts done.

Ahh, and that's why I prefer working with wooden models. Unfortunately, though, there's no undo button when you're using a chisel.

And I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I think this fits within your interests:
the French privateer Invention: Very fast, butrather short-lived. I ran across it after purchasing this book: Privateers and Privateering As you may or may not know, four masted ships were all but unheard of in those days (built 1802?).
illus01.jpg

If you find this as fascinating as I do, and run into some spare time in the distant future, I believe it might be able to be "faked", as no plans exist that I know of, by tweaking the dimensions of the Volage, redoing the rigging, and removing the quarter and fore decks.

Neat! there were definately some very extreme (and fast) french privateers, the volage was one of the less extreme ones, when compared with ships like the bordelais http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66561.html
which was supposedly the fastest french privateer at the time. (she was caught by HMS Revolutioinnare, the very same one I built, after a long chase) you can see the Bordelais has a high length to breadth ratio, like the Invention and Revolutionnare.

Nice... the hull is almost Baltimore Clipper-like. I remember reading in American Sailing Ships: Their Plans and History that the Baltimore clipper hull was influenced by a type of Anglo-french lugger; judging by its shape, that particular vessel's hull almost certainly took some form of inspiration from it.

Yeah, I mean sharp hull forms were not unique to any nation or type of ship, but were more to do with how esssential speed was for that particular ship. Anyways, Path, yards, masts, everything but the hull is now exported and in .gm format :onya If I cant figure out a way with the hull soon, Ill put the stat file up and upload the rest of the model files so that hopefully craiggo can get started on some of it while the hull is sorted out. :yes

Yeah, I mean sharp hull forms were not unique to any nation or type of ship, but were more to do with how esssential speed was for that particular ship.

In most cases, I would agree, but the hull here is essentially identical to the hulls of the vessels I mentioned earlier, particularly since they some features rarely found on the full-rigged ships of that era.

Anyways, Path, yards, masts, everything but the hull is now exported and in .gm format :onya If I cant figure out a way with the hull soon, Ill put the stat file up and upload the rest of the model files so that hopefully craiggo can get started on some of it while the hull is sorted out. :yes
One more thing about render stats: you must make sure everything is ticked except Double Sided and Opposite.
I'm not sure what effect you'll get if you leave some stats un-ticked, but it's best to be on the safe side.

If that's all fine for the hull and it still won't export, then please post a screenshot of the hull's hierarchy in the 'Hypergraph' window.
That's probably the only remaining factor that would prevent the model from exporting correctly, if you're using all the right export settings.

Hmm, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that.
Do all the components have the right materials assigned? And all the materials have a texture assigned?
I'm running out of ideas. If you still can't find anything wrong with it, maybe you could send me the file so I can take a look. :shrug

Yeah, I can't see anything wrong with it :? I uploaded the hull in .mb format, and everything else in .gm format here http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/ so hopefully you can export the hull easily and craiggo can get started :)

I've just checked your file, and it's 100 times too small. I probably forgot to tell you to scale it up when changing the working units.
That's not the problem, however. This is: Export_error.jpg

I copied your capstan model to a separate file, and tried to export it as normal. Same error message came up saying "Exporter internal error".
The problem is, each component should only have three tabs in the Attribute Editor window: ComponentName, ComponentNameShape, and MaterialName.
In this example, your capstan should have: Capstan, CapstanShape and Blinn1 (I renamed the first tab, instead of PolyMesh etc). Instead, it has those three plus lots of other unnecessary stuff.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to remove the other stuff from the component.
I've seen examples of this when editing components, but often the extra tabs disappear when you delete the history.
In this case, the extra tabs don't simply disappear; they just persist. They need to be removed before you can export the entire model. :modding

I've just checked your file, and it's 100 times too small. I probably forgot to tell you to scale it up when changing the working units.
I know, I dont know of a way to scale by percent in maya, but I check 0.01 Scale(cm->m) box when I export which according to the tutoial should do the trick. :onya
That's not the problem, however. This is: [attachment=8233:moddingxport_error.jpg]
I copied your capstan model to a separate file, and tried to export it as normal. Same error message came up saying "Exporter internal error".
The problem is, each component should only have three tabs in the Attribute Editor window: ComponentName, ComponentNameShape, and MaterialName.
In this example, your capstan should have: Capstan, CapstanShape and Blinn1 (I renamed the first tab, instead of PolyMesh etc). Instead, it has those three plus lots of other unnecessary stuff.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to remove the other stuff from the component.
I've seen examples of this when editing components, but often the extra tabs disappear when you delete the history.
In this case, the extra tabs don't simply disappear; they just persist. They need to be removed before you can export the entire model. :modding
Hmm ok, I'll see what I can do about it. :keith I imported the already textured capstan from another file, so that may have something to do with it

Edit- you may want to check the constitution and make sure that this is not the case there too, because I replaced the capstan from the very same file

Annnnd, It works!! :cheeky it works!.JPG Turns out I had to go to the relationship editor and delete a bunch of extra UV sets, so you might want to check all of the constitution parts for that too. How does it look for size? if it is still 100 times to small I guess Ill have to rescale all the parts and rexport them, but now that I know exaclty how it works and I have this fixed, it shouldnt be too much of a problem :) Anywho, here is a link to download the hull ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN.gm I did make a new texture for the capstan (which will also be used for quarter galleries and other decorations on my next ships) so here is the download for that ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/Textures/windowtrim.tga
@Craiggo, if you have any questions about what textures go where, i can come up with a list for you! Also, here is the sailplan for the prince which should help determine the shapes of a few sails and such http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong/other%20modelling%20references/masting/Prince_de_Neufchatel%20sailplan.jpg and I can also get you the coordinates for the yards and mast bases if neccessary. :onya

I know, I dont know of a way to scale by percent in maya, but I check 0.01 Scale(cm->m) box when I export which according to the tutoial should do the trick. :onya
Ah, that scale option in the export settings doesn't seem to do anything. Not a problem, though, here's an easy way to scale by an exact amount:
  • Select all components of the object you want to scale, and group them.
  • In the Attribute Editor, the group's stats should appear. In the Scale section, change the 1.000 to 100.000 for X, Y and Z (see below)
  • Un-group the components (or leave them grouped, the choice is yours)
Maya_scale.jpg

The reason for grouping the components is so that they're all scaled using (0,0,0) as the origin, so they don't shift out of place. It's also much quicker than doing it one by one.
Be aware that the camera view in Maya might look a bit strange when scaling something to this size.
To fix that, go to View -> Camera Attribute Editor, and increase the Near and Far Clip Plane by a factor of 100.

Annnnd, It works!! :cheeky [attachment=8234:it works!.JPG] Turns out I had to go to the relationship editor and delete a bunch of extra UV sets, so you might want to check all of the constitution parts for that too.
Excellent! I was wondering why there were so many UV sets. xD: You will still need to enlarge the ship to be 100 times bigger, though.

I did notice the Constitution had the same problem with UV sets, and thinking about it, that's why it wouldn't export the first time I tried it.
At least I know I didn't mess anything up with the locators!

Perfect! Thanks, that makes it alot easier, ill get to scaling ASAP :dance Is the Constitution scaled correctly? like its not 100 times too small as well? Hopefully it exports this time! :cheers

Back