• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

all the files should now be scaled properly :onya http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/

Is the Constitution scaled correctly? like its not 100 times too small as well? Hopefully it exports this time! :cheers
Well I have it at the correct scale now, but I can't remember whether I had to scale it myself or not.
Anyway, I'll see if I can sort out the export this time. :dance

Annnnd, It works!! :cheeky [attachment=8234:it works!.JPG] Turns out I had to go to the relationship editor and delete a bunch of extra UV sets, so you might want to check all of the constitution parts for that too. How does it look for size? if it is still 100 times to small I guess Ill have to rescale all the parts and rexport them, but now that I know exaclty how it works and I have this fixed, it shouldnt be too much of a problem :) Anywho, here is a link to download the hull ftp://potc@pyratesah...ufchatel/PDN.gm I did make a new texture for the capstan (which will also be used for quarter galleries and other decorations on my next ships) so here is the download for that ftp://potc@pyratesah.../windowtrim.tga
@Craiggo, if you have any questions about what textures go where, i can come up with a list for you! Also, here is the sailplan for the prince which should help determine the shapes of a few sails and such http://www.pyratesah...%20sailplan.jpg and I can also get you the coordinates for the yards and mast bases if neccessary. :onya

Is she ready for me? When and if you are ready for me to complete her I need the existing textures you use in your images so I can use GM viewer to figure out how they are arranged on her model.

Yes She is! :) there are only 2 new textures. one is for the capstan (which will also be used for quarter galleries and other decorations on my next ships) and here is the download for that ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/Textures/windowtrim.tga The other should be applied to the fittings (gratings, pinrails, bell etc) as well as for the Anchors, which are a seperate object. here is the download for that texture

All the others should be in the game files-
the inner hull should have ph3nk_blue.tga applied to it.
the deck and mast stumps should have dek3.tga applied to it
the objext made of the catheads, chainplates, bulwark cap etc should have Raa7.tga applied to it
both the Carronades and long chase guns should have inzanegun1.tga applied to them
The outer hull should have US_Hull1.tga applied to it
all masts and yards should have deck_constitution.tga applied to them
the ropes should have ropeU1 applied to them

Also, here is the sailplan for the prince which should help determine the shapes of a few sails and such http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong/other%20modelling%20references/masting/Prince_de_Neufchatel%20sailplan.jpg and I can also get you the coordinates for the yards and mast bases if neccessary. :onya

Thank you. I need her masts, rays and path .GM files also. I will start on the hull textures meanwhile. Do you have the other GM's done yet?

I am having some really weird mast and deck texture problem in the GM viewer as it will show up in game like this. It does not match your Photostream pics at all? Any idea what is wrong?

Weird deck and masts.jpg

Thank you. I need her masts, rays and path .GM files also. I will start on the hull textures meanwhile. Do you have the other GM's done yet?
look at my post on the top of the page

hmm well I would say i messed up something with my new textures but they obviously work on the anchors fine, it almost look like you applied raa7 to the gratings and such rather than d_Wood. I have no Idea why dek3 wouldnt work for the deck and mast stumps though... :?

Looks like a problem with your UV set, perhaps? Does it look correct in Maya?

Yes, everything looks good but the deck and mast stumps. Thanks, i got all the gm files. The ropes look a little funny thought.

Ropes.jpg

The ropes look a little funny thought.

[attachment=8256:Ropes.jpg]
yeah I know :facepalm I just couldnt get them to look right, even if I covered the entire rope texture with the UVs. I dont know what to do about it :shrug

As for the deck, I did have trouble with texturing it initially, but I had to delete all the extra UV sets I created while trying to get it right to export the model, so ti shouldnt be different from any other part. i'll try to make sure that nothing is wrong with my new textures, but Im not sure what to look for. Or do those work now and its just dek3 that doesnt?

Well I don't know what you mean by "those", do you mean your new textures? The only things that look like a solid color are the deck, the capstan and the masts stubs. Something is wrong with the way the engine reads those three textures.

well the one for the deck (the actual planking part) should already be used ingame, I got it from the game files...so I have no clue why it wouldnt work. The capstan and the fittings(which appear yellow and black respectively in the pic you posted) use my own textures, so ill make sure that they dont have RLA compresion checked or anything like that.

Have you tried looking at your work in the GM viewer or just in Maya? One more thing, is there anyway you can make the port lids use their own separate texture? It currently uses the hull texture. So I cant get them to be one color unless I male the upper hull all one color. And why is there a window trim texture when there is no window on the ship? Also, the greating is having the same problem and if we dont fix this, it will show up flat like this in-game.

Port lids.jpg

Umm, I made the textures in maya so ive seen it more than a few times, yeah... the gunport lids are all black if you use the textures I assigned, because of where the UVs are placed. I am using the same texture for windowtrim on my other ships as for the capstan on this ship (its just a matter of the color choice, but I designed the texture for this dual purpose) At this point I think it is more important to get the ship ingame than to make new textures, especially RN ones, seing as this is pretty much an American-only type of vessel :wp though that does reflect the color scheme ive seen on models of the prince ive seen pretty accurately, and I really like that coppering! :) But still I think just using the textures I assigned works fine for now as long as we can find a way to get them to show up. so does that mean you got the d_wood texture to work on the gratings? or are you trying to use a different texture? because the UV mapping isnt likely to work out with other textures.

No, i'm not using the textures you gave me and the default textures that you pointed out from the texture/ship folder from PoTC. I just changed the hull texture to fit the actual ship model and that works just fine.

Hear is what is not working. The colors are a solid color with no texture.

Texture problems.jpg

The ropes look a little funny though.

yeah I know :facepalm I just couldnt get them to look right, even if I covered the entire rope texture with the UVs. I dont know what to do about it :shrug
Did you limit the UVs to stay within the edges of the texture itself? That's probably the cause of the stretching effect.
You need to treat the rope texture as a repeating texture (lots of them end to end in all directions), so stretch the UVs beyond the edges of the texture until the ropes look about right.

As for the solid colours on some parts of the hull, I still think that's a UV problem.
However, it could be that the textures didn't convert properly from TGA to TX format,
but seeing as we know dek3.tga.tx works correctly for other models, I'm inclined to stick with it being UV-related. :facepalm
Do the textures still look like they're mapped correctly on the latest version of your Maya files (after deleting the extra UV sets)?
If you're still stuck and can't find anything wrong, please send me the Maya files so I can take a look.

Umm, I made the textures in maya so ive seen it more than a few times, yeah... the gunport lids are all black if you use the textures I assigned, because of where the UVs are placed.
Do you know how to do UV Snapshots in Maya? I made some before when Legendary_Spider was working on the Queen Anne's Revenge textures, and he found them very helpful.
You'll probably need to do the same for your textures, so that Craiggo can make new versions accurately.
Also, I think they're less strict about texture usage in the GOF mod, which is why Craiggo often makes multiple versions of new ships' textures to add variety.
We don't have to use all of the extras he makes in the Build Mod, but we'll think about that once the ship's ready to sail. She needs locators first... :sail

The ropes look a little funny though.

Did you limit the UVs to stay within the edges of the texture itself? That's probably the cause of the stretching effect.
You need to treat the rope texture as a repeating texture (lots of them end to end in all directions), so stretch the UVs beyond the edges of the texture until the ropes look about right.

Ohhhhhhhh! :shock that makes sense. Wow and I even did similar things for other textures. :facepalm I'll try to fix that!

As for the solid colours on some parts of the hull, I still think that's a UV problem.
However, it could be that the textures didn't convert properly from TGA to TX format,
but seeing as we know dek3.tga.tx works correctly for other models, I'm inclined to stick with it being UV-related. :facepalm
Do the textures still look like they're mapped correctly on the latest version of your Maya files (after deleting the extra UV sets)?
If you're still stuck and can't find anything wrong, please send me the Maya files so I can take a look.
yeah they look fine, except for the gratings and such had the wrong uv set assigned still but looked right just looking at it in maya. anyways thats fixed now, so hopefully that will work :)

Umm, I made the textures in maya so ive seen it more than a few times, yeah... the gunport lids are all black if you use the textures I assigned, because of where the UVs are placed.
Do you know how to do UV Snapshots in Maya? I made some before when Legendary_Spider was working on the Queen Anne's Revenge textures, and he found them very helpful.
You'll probably need to do the same for your textures, so that Craiggo can make new versions accurately.
Also, I think they're less strict about texture usage in the GOF mod, which is why Craiggo often makes multiple versions of new ships' textures to add variety.
We don't have to use all of the extras he makes in the Build Mod, but we'll think about that once the ship's ready to sail. She needs locators first... :sail
Well I cant say I know how to do a UV snapshot, but it is essentially a picture to determine where the UVs are on the texture right? This definately isnt a matter of me placing the UVs all in one color area, It shows up perfectly fine in maya, and the UVs look fine now too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/6965433371/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/6819310922/in/photostream
Why would Craiggo need to make new versions of the textures? :? like other than for a different paint scheme?

Craiggo- I just fixed some UV things with the gratings, so hopefully thats fixed! I also put the gunport lids into the same object as the other black items like the bulwark cap, so that should make things easier for you :) here is the file ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN.gm
I'll try to get those ropes fixed soon too ;)

Back