• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

Hold on-- if you make the entire thing invisible your enemies won't stand a chance!

ok try this one ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN.gm

Post Captain- true, very true, but i think i mightv spotted a few leaks xD:

alright, so I just tweaked the UVs for the ropes so they look a bit better, here are the new mast files :keith
ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN_%20mast1.gm
ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN_%20mast2.gm
ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN_%20mast3.gm

Nice job on the ropes mate, they look allot better! But no go on the deck, pin rails, gratings and capstan. They are all still a solid color.
dunno.gif

Update: OK, something is wrong. I cant even assign locators to the ship without it crashing. I have tried every locator configuration and the only way the ship will load is without any locators at all. I'm using "Tool" and nothing will work with this Hull.GM as far as assigning locators. I don't know what is wrong.
modding.gif

Could there be something wrong with the GM file that will not allow it to take locators?
dunno.gif

Well I cant say I know how to do a UV snapshot, but it is essentially a picture to determine where the UVs are on the texture right? This definately isnt a matter of me placing the UVs all in one color area, It shows up perfectly fine in maya, and the UVs look fine now too.
http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
Why would Craiggo need to make new versions of the textures? :? like other than for a different paint scheme?
UV Snapshots are pretty much what you said. More specifically, they're images which have transparent backgrounds, and only show the UVs.
They can be used as an overlay in image editing software that supports layers, so are extremely useful for texture artists.
To make UV Snapshots:
  • Select the object whose UVs you want to use, and open the UV Texture Editor
  • Go to Polygons -> UV Snapshot... and an options window will open.
  • Choose the file destination, select the same size as the texture the UVs are designed for, choose 'Targa' file format, and click 'OK'.
When I said 'new versions' of textures, I meant new colour schemes. Sorry that wasn't clear enough. :eek:ops

Anyway, I suggest you upload your Maya file so I can try to figure out what's going wrong.

Well I cant say I know how to do a UV snapshot, but it is essentially a picture to determine where the UVs are on the texture right? This definately isnt a matter of me placing the UVs all in one color area, It shows up perfectly fine in maya, and the UVs look fine now too.
Why would Craiggo need to make new versions of the textures? :? like other than for a different paint scheme?
UV Snapshots are pretty much what you said. More specifically, they're images which have transparent backgrounds, and only show the UVs.
They can be used as an overlay in image editing software that supports layers, so are extremely useful for texture artists.
To make UV Snapshots:
  • Select the object whose UVs you want to use, and open the UV Texture Editor
  • Go to Polygons -> UV Snapshot... and an options window will open.
  • Choose the file destination, select the same size as the texture the UVs are designed for, choose 'Targa' file format, and click 'OK'.
When I said 'new versions' of textures, I meant new colour schemes. Sorry that wasn't clear enough. :eek:ops

Anyway, I suggest you upload your Maya file so I can try to figure out what's going wrong.

Here is the latest Maya file
ftp://potc@pyratesahoy.com@ftp.pyratesahoy.com/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/PDN.mb

Hopefully you find something wrong that I cant. Ill get started on a UV snapshot for the outer hull :onya (the rest would reqire ne UVs to use other textures, except for the planking which only needs a solid color planking texture, so a UV map shouldnt be neccessary for the inner hull)

Good news! I found the answer to all life's questions!
The square sail on the mainmast is actually considered a cross jack.

Even more good news: I've fixed the hull! :dance

PDN_Fixed.jpg

Fixed MB and GM files available here: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/For%20Captain%20Armstrong/PDN_fix.7z
Turns out you had to copy the UVs of the affected components to the 'map1' UV set, then assign that set to the component, and somehow everything works correctly.
You may notice that I also adjusted the mast stump UVs so that the ends show the wooden rings, like you'd see if you chop a tree down.
Some ships have that feature in-game, but many don't, so I just thought it would be a nice touch. ;)

Nice work there Armada! :keith I'll fix that for the Volage and ill make sure to do the same for the Revolutionnaire. The rings are a nice touch, Ill try to replicate it on the other ships. :onya

Does this mean she is ready for me to have another go at her?

Update: She looks great but no go on the locators. I tried to add several different ones and the game crashes every time.
dunno.gif

Hmmm...why is this ship so darn troublesome? :urgh is there anything unusual about the model at all? Is it all types of locators, or just some? :shrug
Armada, have you ever encountered this sort of thing before?

I mean I have no experience with this, this is my first ship, so your guess is as good and probably better than mine...youve never seen anything like this before? could it be someting I did wrong with the other parts? Or it is definately something with the hull? MAybe the stats you are borrowing have something that doesnt match up? :shrug

Well if I load the game with the settings I have made for her and I don't include any locators then she loads as just a floating hull. So in that respect, she loads fine as far as her stats and hull. But if I add even one locator to her, boom, the game crashes.
dunno.gif

hmmm, well thats good I suppose :) This really is way beyond my area of expertise though, and way beyond my mental ability at this hour :urgh Hopefully Armada has some ideas on this

OK, I just tested the hull using the locators and masts/yards from US_Enterprise, and everything works correctly in-game, so the hull is not the problem.
I then proceeded to replace the US_Enterprise masts/yards with the PDN files, kept the hull locators the same, and tested the ship. The game crashed upon loading the ship at sea.
The system log file showed that the game couldn't load the path model, so I replaced that with the Enterprise path. The game still crashed.
The only change this time was that the system log said the game couldn't load the mast1 model. I didn't test any further, but it doesn't look promising. :facepalm

The tests seem to suggest that the other components of the ship are the cause of the crashes; not the locators.
Bearing in mind that the other components don't have locators yet, they should technically still load up in-game, but don't.

My suggestion would be to check all the other Maya files in the same way as the hull, and make sure there are no unused UV sets left over, or other anomalies present.
Check all Render Stats again (untick Double Sided and Opposite) before exporting.
If exporting the models again still causes the crashes, then I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. :?

Sounds like a plan! :onya I'll check all the other parts

Ok try these
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong/ship%20models/Prince%20de%20Neufchatel/
Turns out the path still had double sided checked, but that was fine for all the others...I did have an old texture applied to lambert1(before I knew to use blinn) in maya though, so I removed that on all the files.

Back