• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.

How is our beloved New Horizons since 2016?

• Lots of improvement.

• Little Improvement.

• A complete overhaul.

• Lots of new ships.

• New characters and storylines have been made.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavyJack

Pirate Queen
Staff member
Storm Modder
:ahoyHow is everyone doing?

It has been a while hahah. I don't even know when's the last time I posted something. It has been busy. Just got back from deployment, got married and now transferring to a new duty station.:guns:

I see a couple of old Sea Dogs still floating around.:pirate07: I just bought a new laptop. And I want to do a fresh start on this game. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find necessary files. I still have the original/vanilla PotC US&English versions. If someone needs some questions or help please send me a PM. Some treasures should not be hidden but shared. I missed this game so much so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,
DavyJack:ship

EDIT: Currently installing..will update tomorrow how it goes. I'm going to bed.
Capture.PNG

EDIT2: I couldn't wait:p.....so I played a little bit. It showed some signs of slow motion while I was practicing swords with Malcolm and while inside the cabin but after I got out the boat it went smooth. Will tell more tomorrow. Also, I got all specs maxed out lol maybe that's why but I don't see any problems why it wouldn't run well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lrv
Welcome back! :cheers

Don't forget to download the updates:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates.zip

About performance, have a look at this:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

If the last time you played PoTC was in 2016, you're in for a treat. For one thing, try playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and see what happens now if you play as a female character... (In fact, even if you only do FreePlay, you may notice some differences in dialogs if you play female.)

Hi Again! :ahoy

No updates yet regarding the issue I have complained here:p I will make another thread in the appropriate forum location when I do. I am having a lot of time management issues right now and I'm on vacation LOL :facepalm I'm trying to get the best out of this break because I know I'll be working my a*s off when I get back to duty. Whew, at least I'm going on shore duty :beer: so it shouldn't be that hard. At least I don't have to leave every now and then. Anyway, I'll try to stick around as much as I can. I will be in and out the forum but I'll be checking new stuffs and updates as they come and go. Maybe make some few suggestions if I have any in my mind hahah Thank you guys! I hope this community will never go away. You guys have been one of my "extended family" when I was still a student and I'm at home, depressed and tired then I play PotC and come here and it will all go away. So hooyah and long live PiratesAhoy!!!:aar:pflag
:ship

No updates yet regarding the issue I have complained here:p I will make another thread in the appropriate forum location when I do.
Did you try "windowed mode" for the game and "Windows XP/Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode?
That helps with some stuff too, though I'm not sure if it works on this one.
Worth a shot though, I suppose.

I hope this community will never go away. You guys have been one of my "extended family" when I was still a student and I'm at home, depressed and tired then I play PotC and come here and it will all go away. So hooyah and long live PiratesAhoy!!!:aar:pflag
Hear, hear!! :dance

I'm really grateful to you for saying that.
We've put a lot of work in making and keeping this place a good place for people to be.
We may be pirates, but we like being nice about it! :flower

@Pieter Boelen I found you!!! :guns: And hey! We've helped repel the Spanish attack from the pirate claimed island of Turks! :danceNo need to thank me for dropping you off Tortuga :p Thank you for the 40,000 gpcs though:p... you know you could've given me more. :rofl
I sailed the entire island to look for the Spaniards without reading my quest log. Then I did, that's when I figured I have to land in turtle bay to repel the already landed Spaniards xD:rofl
Solving Pirate Issue with PB.jpg
Solving Pirate Issue with PB2.jpg

If you're not happy with a mere 40000, just knock on the door and ask for some more.

Knock, knock!
View attachment 34744

Hey, Mr. Governor, can't you spare a bit more money?
View attachment 34745
:rofl I do that frequently especially when I'm low on funds and contraband :cheeky that's why I felt light on the 40k :pxD Never tried to sack Turks yet tho, how was it?
Speightstown in Barbados is my favorite playground so far:whipa :woot It doesn't take that much out of me and me crew compared to other towns I have tried sacking. xD I never, okay maybe once or twice when my level and equipment were very low yet, die in Speightstown.

Oh there is this one place tho which is ridiculously hard to beat I can't remember which one now, I get just me and my two companions(good thing I have two back then) and like 8 or 9 redcoats armed with great blades and pistols in one section of the raid and like 4 of them shoots simultaneously directly at me :modding As I drink them potions, they shoot again! :facepalmI bet I would be alone there if I didn't put two of my officers in the slot. xD And it's like that until the finish line just undermanned xD I need better affects and better armor for my crew and officers. They're just really expensive and hard to get. :duel: Oh well. Challenge accepted! :type1

Turks Island fort is relatively small, and once you land troops, there aren't many fighting scenes before you get to the governor. You can see from the screenshot how much money I got from him. Alternatively, first go in under a false flag, visit the tavern and recruit a couple of drunk officers. Then go back to the ship, hoist a hostile flag, invade, and put those drunks in charge. Now you get a small but steady income from taxes, and you can rename the town if you like.

By the time I have a ship capable of taking on a fort, I already have plenty of armour and equipment. This is because I don't give myself a battlewagon at the start of the game, I get it second-hand, so to speak. And I don't even try to board a warship until my officers and I all have at least battle armour, preferably gold armour, plus good swords, and the boarding crew also has battle armour plus decent swords. If we're capable of taking a Soleil Royal, or even a 3rd rate battleship, then we're easily capable of slicing our way through a fort's garrison. Weapons are also taken from dead enemies - captured ships, dungeons and the many highwaymen are all sources of free weapons. But I do buy armour - for some reason, Spanish ports seem to be better stocked with battle armour and gold armour than anyone else, and San Juan has several street traders.

And so the biggest challenge is the initial bombardment. Martinique is easy, you approach from the north and you're screened by a big rock until you're close enough to the fort to bombard it. Guadeloupe is tough, it has two forts and one of them is hidden behind a couple of big rocks so it's hard to hit. But if you want a real challenge, try Cartagena. It's on a peninsula and it's a large fort, so half the guns are out of range of your cannons. So you have to bombard it from one side, wipe out all the guns you can hit, then sail round to the other side and finish off the rest.

Turks Island fort is relatively small, and once you land troops, there aren't many fighting scenes before you get to the governor...
Nice! I'll try that then :guns: I'm currently working with pirates tho so maybe sometime in the future.
..for some reason, Spanish ports seem to be better stocked with battle armour and gold armour than anyone else, and San Juan has several street traders.
That is true! :aar
...And so the biggest challenge is the initial bombardment. Martinique is easy, you approach from the north and you're screened by a big rock until you're close enough to the fort to bombard it. Guadeloupe is tough, it has two forts and one of them is hidden behind a couple of big rocks so it's hard to hit. But if you want a real challenge, try Cartagena. It's on a peninsula and it's a large fort, so half the guns are out of range of your cannons. So you have to bombard it from one side, wipe out all the guns you can hit, then sail round to the other side and finish off the rest.
I never tried Martinique and Cartagena yet as I'm currently serving the French and Spaniards. For me the hardest one, sort of like what you've described with Cartagena is Charlestown. My God! Taking that fort is ridiculous when I did my testing! :facepalm I have to literally circle the damn thing. And getting to the other side, on that steep channel, is frustrating because a lot of my cannonballs won't reach the fort and will just be blocked by the mountain because it's so high. :boom:I enjoyed it though, worth managing if ever you get it :treasure:Not much money from taxes but it's like a point of pride to claim that island as your own and is owned by the English so that'll piss people off xD Makes it harder to get to those towns owned by them to complete many side quests. :pirates

EDIT: I tried taking on Charlestown again and found a good spot to get the other side of the fort and it was less difficult destroying it this time. :dance

Last edited:
I assume those are set to nation SPAIN in initItems.c .
Right?
Armours aren't set to any nation. "pistol27", the miquelet pistol, is set to nation SPAIN but appears elsewhere anyway, so I'm not sure what effect the nation setting has.

More likely, it's to do with the colony's affluence and Spanish colonies are the richest. Other colonies do sometimes have battle armour and occasionally gold armour, it's just that Spanish colonies are more likely, to the extent that when I reach level 8 (minlevel for battle armour) and level 15 (minlevel for gold armour), I always visit San Juan in the hope of stocking up.

Armours aren't set to any nation.
Ah... Indeed that's not it then...

"pistol27", the miquelet pistol, is set to nation SPAIN but appears elsewhere anyway, so I'm not sure what effect the nation setting has.
If I recall, it just increases the chances.

More likely, it's to do with the colony's affluence and Spanish colonies are the richest. Other colonies do sometimes have battle armour and occasionally gold armour, it's just that Spanish colonies are more likely
Sounds plausible to me! :onya

Back