• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved About Starting a Career in a Nation Navy

Sergiolas

Sailor
Hi everybody,

As the thread title says, i'm asking which differences there are in game when i want to become an officer in a nation's navy in the game, i read in wiki that i could become a military (navy in this case) officer, or a privateer officer for a nation....My question is: which is the dfference? i mean, both start by buying a letter of marque, or this is ok only for becoming a privateer, while i have to do another way to become a navy officer?
Every tip and suggestion will be appreciated, thanks in advance for every technical info about this :ship

Thanks Pieter, does this work also with my version 14 beta 3.4? I'm waiting to download the 14.4 because i'm interested in the installer that should make my life lot easier with installing it, but i hve to wait until i'll renew my monthly bundle of internet, now i've few mb in my internet key to download it....i'm quite curious abotu the cutter and english cutter, as i like this kind of ship quite a lot....

Thanks Pieter, does this work also with my version 14 beta 3.4? I'm waiting to download the 14.4 because i'm interested in the installer that should make my life lot easier with installing it, but i hve to wait until i'll renew my monthly bundle of internet, now i've few mb in my internet key to download it....i'm quite curious abotu the cutter and english cutter, as i like this kind of ship quite a lot....
Nope it wont work in 3.4

Thanks for info, then i'll wait to download the new version....:pirateraft
Hopefully in 2 weeks we have a release candidate which we can test a bit more :).
The current version should be very much playable already.

So it would be better for me to wait the new version to download it?
I ask because i'd like to play the fully customizable game style that i read in the last version (thing that now i can only do in the story brave black flag) and curious to see the cutters :sail

I think the biggest part of the download (that huge .dat file) is not supposed to change between releases of the same beta. When the new version is out, you'll only need to redownload the smaller installer.
I've been playing the current WIP for a couple of weeks now and I agree that it is playable in its current state. In a sense that I haven't encountered any snow-stopping bugs recently. It's still buggy as sin, though :)

To a limited extent you can play a naval officer in Beta 3.4. Play the "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" storyline. That's where the naval officer playstyle started. You won't get to sail a cutter, but then even in Beta 4 you won't get to play with a cutter as a naval officer, at least not for very long. One of the biggest differences between naval officer and privateer is that the navy assigns you your ship and you will command that ship, that's an order! When you are promoted you are assigned to a new ship. And as cutters are very small ships, only very junior officers command those; if you're good enough to earn a promotion to higher rank then the navy thinks you're good enough to be put in command of something bigger.

Cutters are not new, you should have them in Beta 3.4. Play as a privateer and capture one from a pirate. Or play as a pirate and steal one. Or smuggle something, get caught by the coastguard and hijack their cutter. Or, as a last resort, raise enough money to buy one, they're small and therefore relatively cheap.

There WAS a tiny "naval officer" functionality in Beta 3.4 as well, but you'd need the ZIP here to actually be able to make proper use of it at all:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 3.4 Release | PiratesAhoy!
Even then, it is hardly worth it compared to the much better version in Beta 4.

While I DO intend to replace the Beta 4 main archive for the public release,
I'll ensure there will also be an "upgrade" EXE for everyone who already has it so you don't need to redownload it.

Cutters have been in the game for 5+ years or so and can be encountered in all periods already.
So I'm not sure where you got the idea those are new.... :confused:

There WAS a tiny "naval officer" functionality in Beta 3.4 as well, but you'd need the ZIP here to actually be able to make proper use of it at all:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 3.4 Release | PiratesAhoy!
Even then, it is hardly worth it compared to the much better version in Beta 4.

While I DO intend to replace the Beta 4 main archive for the public release,
I'll ensure there will also be an "upgrade" EXE for everyone who already has it so you don't need to redownload it.

Cutters have been in the game for 5+ years or so and can be encountered in all periods already.
So I'm not sure where you got the idea those are new.... :confused:
Well, maybe it's me that i'm confusing, but in game i have naval cutter in 2 version, one in english navy colors and the other one like the classic lugger colors, are they the same as cutter and english cutter that i read?
Thanks for help :cheers

To a limited extent you can play a naval officer in Beta 3.4. Play the "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" storyline. That's where the naval officer playstyle started. You won't get to sail a cutter, but then even in Beta 4 you won't get to play with a cutter as a naval officer, at least not for very long. One of the biggest differences between naval officer and privateer is that the navy assigns you your ship and you will command that ship, that's an order! When you are promoted you are assigned to a new ship. And as cutters are very small ships, only very junior officers command those; if you're good enough to earn a promotion to higher rank then the navy thinks you're good enough to be put in command of something bigger.

Cutters are not new, you should have them in Beta 3.4. Play as a privateer and capture one from a pirate. Or play as a pirate and steal one. Or smuggle something, get caught by the coastguard and hijack their cutter. Or, as a last resort, raise enough money to buy one, they're small and therefore relatively cheap.
Well, as i saw that i can be an officer under the navy (i tried only with the english one, as mainly i play with the originaal story, the tales of the sea hawk) i mainly asked here how to beome a former navy officer instead of a privateer, where do i start to become this and what i need, for example i asked if for both the paths i have to have a letter of marque, or it is needed only for becoming a privateer....

I think the biggest part of the download (that huge .dat file) is not supposed to change between releases of the same beta. When the new version is out, you'll only need to redownload the smaller installer.
I've been playing the current WIP for a couple of weeks now and I agree that it is playable in its current state. In a sense that I haven't encountered any snow-stopping bugs recently. It's still buggy as sin, though :)
I see, thanks for infos :onya

Well, maybe it's me that i'm confusing, but in game i have naval cutter in 2 version, one in english navy colors and the other one like the classic lugger colors, are they the same as cutter and english cutter that i read?
Probably. :confused:

Well, as i saw that i can be an officer under the navy (i tried only with the english one, as mainly i play with the originaal story, the tales of the sea hawk) i mainly asked here how to beome a former navy officer instead of a privateer, where do i start to become this and what i need, for example i asked if for both the paths i have to have a letter of marque, or it is needed only for becoming a privateer....
You want to be a FORMER navy officer or a CURRENT navy officer? "Former" doesn't do much special, but actually being IN the navy does.
You have to select that when you start a New Game though; for now, you cannot join the navy during the game.

Probably. :confused:

You want to be a FORMER navy officer or a CURRENT navy officer? "Former" doesn't do much special, but actually being IN the navy does.
You have to select that when you start a New Game though; for now, you cannot join the navy during the game.
I see, which is the difference between the 2?

I see, which is the difference between the 2?
A "former navy officer" isn't actually in the navy anymore and is not bound by any of the rules, nor priviliges of being a naval officer.
In other words: That would just be a normal player character and you can do whatever any other player character can.
As there are a dozen other player backgrounds to choose from, this is not even an option in Beta 4 anymore.

Being actually IN the navy is explained here: New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!
You get certain limitations in one way, but advantages in another. @Grey Roger already provided extra details in his post above too.

A "former navy officer" isn't actually in the navy anymore and is not bound by any of the rules, nor priviliges of being a naval officer.
In other words: That would just be a normal player character and you can do whatever any other player character can.
As there are a dozen other player backgrounds to choose from, this is not even an option in Beta 4 anymore.

Being actually IN the navy is explained here: New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!
You get certain limitations in one way, but advantages in another. @Grey Roger already provided extra details in his post above too.
Ok thanks for info Pieter, and sorry for my english, it seems that i should use a translator when i try to translate from english to italian :D

I've been wondering about something. At the moment, there is a functionality in the game that makes higher tier (military) ships available to you only if you have a high standing with a particular nation. Looking at the various playstiles, it would seem you can only access those now if you're a privateer. Is that working as intended? There's no other way to gain standing with a nation right now, for as far as i'm aware, other than sinking ships of that nation's enemies. Maybe some other way of gaining national standing should be involved, like helping a nation out in a food crisis?

Ok thanks for info Pieter, and sorry for my english, it seems that i should use a translator when i try to translate from english to italian :D
Automatic translation tends to be VERY confusing. Please write in English if you can.
And if really necessary, write in Italian. But an automatic translation could result in anything. :rofl

I've been wondering about something. At the moment, there is a functionality in the game that makes higher tier (military) ships available to you only if you have a high standing with a particular nation. Looking at the various playstiles, it would seem you can only access those now if you're a privateer. Is that working as intended? There's no other way to gain standing with a nation right now, for as far as i'm aware, other than sinking ships of that nation's enemies. Maybe some other way of gaining national standing should be involved, like helping a nation out in a food crisis?
Military ships are sold based on your national ranks. You indeed can only gain those by having a LoM or being in their navy.
That seems fair enough to me. If you aren't officially loyal to them, why would they want to sell you their war ships? Next thing they know, you'll turn their own ships against them!

At the moment, if you buy Amnesty, then your relations go to -30. (ONLY!) By doing Governor Ship Hunting Quests, you can bring that all the way up to 0.
This determines the sale price of a LoM, so if you are "nice" to their nation, you can reduce your own costs in getting one.
But you cannot get above that 0, cannot gain ranks and therefore cannot purchase those navy ships until you do.
That makes perfect sense to me and I would intend to keep it that way.

Of course you CAN still get the bigger ships through capture. But do that enough and you may be considered a pirate.
All part of the game. :whipa

Back