• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved About Starting a Career in a Nation Navy

Automatic translation tends to be VERY confusing. Please write in English if you can.
And if really necessary, write in Italian. But an automatic translation could result in anything. :rofl
Maybe you're right :D

Could i ask for info? When i choose the storyline Brave Black Flag, there's written free play only after opening, what does it mean? or, what it is meant for opening? The intro which the officer speak to me before landing the first time? The sentence told me to customize my character, but in which part? For example could i choose my background carrer, like sword master instead of nava officer?

When i choose the storyline Brave Black Flag, there's written free play only after opening, what does it mean?
Simply means there is no storyline to follow. So you may have some opening scenes, but that is where the story ends.
There is "Free Play" and there are of course all the sidequests.

The sentence told me to customize my character, but in which part? For example could i choose my background carrer, like sword master instead of nava officer?
You can click anything in Select Storyline to change it. You can change your character model, ship and indeed also background career. :yes

Simply means there is no storyline to follow. So you may have some opening scenes, but that is where the story ends.
There is "Free Play" and there are of course all the sidequests.

You can click anything in Select Storyline to change it. You can change your character model, ship and indeed also background career. :yes
Thanks again for your help Pieter :cheers

Military ships are sold based on your national ranks. You indeed can only gain those by having a LoM or being in their navy.
That seems fair enough to me. If you aren't officially loyal to them, why would they want to sell you their war ships? Next thing they know, you'll turn their own ships against them!

At the moment, if you buy Amnesty, then your relations go to -30. (ONLY!) By doing Governor Ship Hunting Quests, you can bring that all the way up to 0.
This determines the sale price of a LoM, so if you are "nice" to their nation, you can reduce your own costs in getting one.
But you cannot get above that 0, cannot gain ranks and therefore cannot purchase those navy ships until you do.
That makes perfect sense to me and I would intend to keep it that way.

Of course you CAN still get the bigger ships through capture. But do that enough and you may be considered a pirate.
All part of the game. :whipa

Seems fair, as long as it's just the warships that are behind a loyalty wall. I wasn't sure if it included merchant vessels as well. It sounds like an interesting mod.

Please someone help me :D

Or at least some info: during a fight with a pirate ship in the ship chest i found one of the cursed aztec moneys of the curse of the Black Pearl, in the inventory when reading about it there's written maybe some drunken pirate could know more about it, so i went ot the pirate towns of Turks and Nevis to see if i could find someone who could address me in the right direction, but nothing....In the meanwhile, my ship has ragged sails and fog while navigating and my character becomes skeleton during the night...Is there something specific that i should do to remove the curse or it only needs to sell the money?
Is it a side quest? Note that i'm playing the Brave Black Flag storyline...

Thanks in advance for every info or useful forum link :bow

Try looking at Tortuga, also known as La Tortue, off the northern coast of Hispaniola...

To avoid giving the whole thing away openly, I'll post a few hints under "Spoiler" covers, so you should be able to get as much help as you need without spoiling any surprises unnecessarily.

Spoiler 1:
Look for Joshamee Gibbs. He will give you a special compass. He will also offer his services as an officer. For the purposes of removing the curse, it's the compass which is important. Now look again at your worldmap...

Spoiler 2:
Somewhere off to the west and south you should now see on the worldmap a small island which wasn't there before - Isla de la Muerte. If you've seen the film "Pirates of the Caribbean" you may know its significance...

Spoiler 3:
There are three landing beaches on Isla de la Muerte. The one you need to find has a path leading to a large cave, where you'll find a treasure chest.

Spoiler 4:
The chest is almost full of cursed coins. One is missing - the one you're carrying. Put it in the chest and the curse will be lifted. Permanently. If you now find another of these coins in a random chest, you will not be cursed and can sell it for a lot of money. Just don't take any coins out of the chest on Isla de la Muerte...

The curse is not related to "Brave Black Flag", it can happen in any storyline. It's been changed so that it only happens if you play in "Arcade" mode, though I'm not sure now in which version that happened - it may be that the curse also applied in "Realistic" mode in Beta 3.4.

i found one of the cursed aztec moneys of the curse of the Black Pearl, in the inventory when reading about it there's written maybe some drunken pirate could know more about it, so i went ot the pirate towns of Turks and Nevis to see if i could find someone who could address me in the right direction, but nothing....
You had the right idea for sure. You just missed the most famous pirate island of them all.
Of course it is technically French, but in the case of Tortuga, that truly is merely a technicality. :cheeky

Try looking at Tortuga, also known as La Tortue, off the northern coast of Hispaniola...

To avoid giving the whole thing away openly, I'll post a few hints under "Spoiler" covers, so you should be able to get as much help as you need without spoiling any surprises unnecessarily.

Spoiler 1:
Look for Joshamee Gibbs. He will give you a special compass. He will also offer his services as an officer. For the purposes of removing the curse, it's the compass which is important. Now look again at your worldmap...

Spoiler 2:
Somewhere off to the west and south you should now see on the worldmap a small island which wasn't there before - Isla de la Muerte. If you've seen the film "Pirates of the Caribbean" you may know its significance...

Spoiler 3:
There are three landing beaches on Isla de la Muerte. The one you need to find has a path leading to a large cave, where you'll find a treasure chest.

Spoiler 4:
The chest is almost full of cursed coins. One is missing - the one you're carrying. Put it in the chest and the curse will be lifted. Permanently. If you now find another of these coins in a random chest, you will not be cursed and can sell it for a lot of money. Just don't take any coins out of the chest on Isla de la Muerte...

The curse is not related to "Brave Black Flag", it can happen in any storyline. It's been changed so that it only happens if you play in "Arcade" mode, though I'm not sure now in which version that happened - it may be that the curse also applied in "Realistic" mode in Beta 3.4.

Thanks for infos, till now i went to Tortuga and recruited Gibbs ( i would to like to do the same also with Jack Sparrow and Will Turner) and noticed the aztec compass in my inventory....Now i have to search for Isla de Muerte...I saw the movies so i know how important it is fo find it, i was hoping at this point, as i found this money, to have also this island in the game :D

You had the right idea for sure. You just missed the most famous pirate island of them all.
Of course it is technically French, but in the case of Tortuga, that truly is merely a technicality. :cheeky
Well i thught about Tortuga in the end and going there i found Gibbs :)
I didn't thought at it as a pirate island because it wasn't clear as for Turks or Nevis (pirate town), but i saw this also in the game Sid Meier's Pirates, where Tortuga is french colony too....
Question: i visited Cartagena....There is also Maracaibo?

i would to like to do the same also with Jack Sparrow and Will Turner
You can buy their skins from the tailor shops and rename your officers.

I didn't thought at it as a pirate island because it wasn't clear as for Turks or Nevis (pirate town), but i saw this also in the game Sid Meier's Pirates, where Tortuga is french colony too....
Tortuga is probably the most famous pirate colony in history; or at least in historical fiction.
Except in real life it was more like a corrupt French colony that was very accepting of pirates.
So in our game, the same thing applies. It's technically French, but it accepts pirates just fine as well.
Have a look here: Tortuga (Haiti) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can buy their skins from the tailor shops and rename your officers.

Tortuga is probably the most famous pirate colony in history; or at least in historical fiction.
Except in real life it was more like a corrupt French colony that was very accepting of pirates.
So in our game, the same thing applies. It's technically French, but it accepts pirates just fine as well.
Have a look here: Tortuga (Haiti) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well i did it, i putted their skins and renamed them so i have quite the whole Potc cast in my crew...I didn't saw Elizabeth Swann, there is also her skin in the game? I admit that i didn't pay attention to this before, but seeing even Tia Dalma i wondered if there could be also Elizabeth skin....

About Tortuga, me too i knew it as the famous pirate port, that's why i was surprised seeing it as French colony...

Could i ask for a technical thing, as i read on the items list but i didn't find it...I'm searching for a rapier type sword, like the swept-hilt rapier or the pappenheimer styled sword, but powerful like the one of Davy Jones, is there in game a sword like this? I'm quite ahead in sword skills, i have professional fencer and 10 in in melee skill, so i 'm searching in game for a deadly but beautiful sword for my english captain character....

I didn't saw Elizabeth Swann, there is also her skin in the game?
There is a stock game towngirl that looks just like her. But that is all.

About Tortuga, me too i knew it as the famous pirate port, that's why i was surprised seeing it as French colony...
That's real history for you. :shrug

Could i ask for a technical thing, as i read on the items list but i didn't find it...I'm searching for a rapier type sword, like the swept-hilt rapier or the pappenheimer styled sword, but powerful like the one of Davy Jones, is there in game a sword like this? I'm quite ahead in sword skills, i have professional fencer and 10 in in melee skill, so i 'm searching in game for a deadly but beautiful sword for my english captain character....
There are all sorts of swords. I don't know them all.
You can find Blackbeard's sword also on Isla de Muerta, which has a special power.
And the "Sabre of Nicholas Sharp" is pretty good.

There is a stock game towngirl that looks just like her. But that is all.

That's real history for you. :shrug

There are all sorts of swords. I don't know them all.
You can find Blackbeard's sword also on Isla de Muerta, which has a special power.
And the "Sabre of Nicholas Sharp" is pretty good.
Well, then i'search more carefully for her in tailors shops...
About Tortuga, well, i like the historic factor that you add to the game, like he fact hat you put the real islands in it instead of having Dowesen, Falaise de Fleurs and so on...
Yes, i found him but he seems invincible...even with he help of my officers Blackbeard it's a too hard challenge for me :D

Last edited:
Yes, i found him but he seems invincible...
Almost invincible, yes. If you've seen the fourth PotC film, you know what kills him in the end. :cheeky

It's poison. That disables his invulnerability.

The Venetian Navy cutlass is not a rapier and the Hibernian is a sword that is a blend of the characteristics of a sword and a rapier. It is slightly heavier and shorter than a rapier. I am currently using the Spanish rapier.

The sabre of Nicholas Sharp is one of the very best swords in the game.

Back