• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Additional Ship Balancing

We originally added these mode-dependent names for ships like the "Caravela Latina"/"Lateen Caravel".
She uses the Spanish name in the Realistic mode and the English name in Arcade mode.

These are the ships for which this applies:
Code:
string = Caravel1,"Lateen Caravel"
string = Caravel1_real,"Caravela Latina"
string = Caravel2,"Square-rigged Caravel"
string = Caravel2_real,"Caravela Redonda"
string = Caravel3,"Hybrid-rigged Caravel"
string = Caravel3_real,"Caravela Hermafrodita"
string = Galeoth1,"Spanish Gunship"
string = Galeoth1_real,"Espadina Gunship"
string = Galeoth2,"Spanish Gaffboom Gunship"
string = Galeoth2_real,"Gaffboom Espadina Gunship"
string = Galeon1,"Spanish Galleon"
string = Galeon1_real,"Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1L,"Spanish Light Galleon"
string = Galeon1L_real,"Light Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1R,"Spanish Royal Galleon"
string = Galeon1R_real,"Royal Manila Galleon"
string = XebecPir,"Improved Xebec"
string = XebecPir_real,"'Swordfish' Xebec"
string = XebecPir2,"Heavy Xebec"
string = XebecPir2_real,"'Dolphin' Xebec"
Generally the Realistic mode names sound "cooler" to me, but players might not quite understand them.
I suppose if we do go with one default for both modes, we should use the Arcade names, but I'd be sorry to see the Realistic names go. :facepalm

We originally added these mode-dependent names for ships like the "Caravela Latina"/"Lateen Caravel".
She uses the Spanish name in the Realistic mode and the English name in Arcade mode.

Generally the Realistic mode names sound "cooler" to me, but players might not quite understand them.
I suppose if we do go with one default for both modes, we should use the Arcade names, but I'd be sorry to see the Realistic names go. :facepalm

If you use one name only I would prefer the Realistic mode names - they are generally understandable.

:slap

If you use one name only I would prefer the Realistic mode names - they are generally understandable.

:slap
True, they aren't THAT hard to understand, and like we've said before, eventually each ship will have its own screenshot as its icon, so the name won't be as important. :no So I'd go with realistic. ;)

I don't care what it is called. Just as long as the naming conventions are consistent.

Sorry for obsessing on one ship, but this ship is unique and it is my Flagship. :sail

It sits high in the water. This is good in that the cannons can now shoot over the waves instead of into the waves. This is bad in that the rudder now comes out of the water in moderate seas. It also looks like it sits high in the stern. What tools are used to adjust this?

Looking at the revised ships list it looks like this ship is similar to the Fragata Latina, but with less cannon and crew and more cargo room. Gotta get one of those.

Sorry for obsessing on one ship, but this ship is unique and it is my Flagship. :sail

It sits high in the water. This is good in that the cannons can now shoot over the waves instead of into the waves. This is bad in that the rudder now comes out of the water in moderate seas. It also looks like it sits high in the stern. What tools are used to adjust this?
No need to apologise; we all have our favourite ships!
thpirateshipff.gif

As for adjusting how she sits in the water, all you need is Notepad.
Find this line in the XebecAS entry in ships_init:

Code:
refShip.WaterLine = 0.0;
Just change the value slightly, until she sits like the other Xebec models do.

These are the ships for which this applies:
Code:
string = Caravel1,"Lateen Caravel"
string = Caravel1_real,"Caravela Latina"
string = Caravel2,"Square-rigged Caravel"
string = Caravel2_real,"Caravela Redonda"
string = Caravel3,"Hybrid-rigged Caravel"
string = Caravel3_real,"Caravela Hermafrodita"
string = Galeoth1,"Spanish Gunship"
string = Galeoth1_real,"Espadina Gunship"
string = Galeoth2,"Spanish Gaffboom Gunship"
string = Galeoth2_real,"Gaffboom Espadina Gunship"
string = Galeon1,"Spanish Galleon"
string = Galeon1_real,"Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1L,"Spanish Light Galleon"
string = Galeon1L_real,"Light Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1R,"Spanish Royal Galleon"
string = Galeon1R_real,"Royal Manila Galleon"
string = XebecPir,"Improved Xebec"
string = XebecPir_real,"'Swordfish' Xebec"
string = XebecPir2,"Heavy Xebec"
string = XebecPir2_real,"'Dolphin' Xebec"

I also think we should use realistic mode. Everyone who knows how to read English understands that "Latina" is Lateen and "Caravela" is Caravel. Or make a setting option about it, because I am sorry to sat that I am playing the arcade mode but all my setting are on realistic mode. I play the arcade mode for only one reason, the one where you need to search for cities yourself, because I think its to much, it is still A GAME.

We could make seperate settings for the parts of Realistic Game Mode.
We didn't do that originally to not have too many choices in the game, but we could.

I just checked and the model swap between Espinosa and Vanderdecken works fine for me now.
Try attached file. You might need to start from a savegame before the original swap for it to work.

I installed that file and checked twice that it is where it is supposed to be. I went back to the save where I sailed to VD. I hit F11 to reinit. No joy. :shrug It's no big deal to me because I don't like the way that model walks and fights anyway.

Note: You must talk to Vanderdecken to swap models again.
It won't be instantly fixed if you load your savegame and a reinit wouldn't help either.
I checked by starting a new game with Espinosa, going to Vanderdecken and talking and it worked then. :shrug

I forgot to mention that I bought a ship while I was there. :facepalm When I walked in he looked like Nathaniel Hawk, which is how I left him after my first visit when I bought the Heavy Xebec. After I bought the Wicked Wench he looked well, bad. I do not know why he works for you but not for me. I have two of him. Espinosa and Espinosa A3. I have tried them both with the same result.

Did any model swaps already take place in your savegame? If so, that might be the reason.

I would have to start a new game to confirm that. It looks like it is time to delete some older games. :whipa

Discussion on the Interface Screenshots for Ships project has been split off to its own thread:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16787-interface-screenshots-for-ships/

Back