• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

High Priority Apothecary Quest Bugs ( contains Spoilers )

Here, although it appeared that before, I was having issues with uploading saves.
@pedrwyth
Great thanks, although with Sovereign of the Seas pretty much loaded with food you were n't going to run out when in Cartagena so I dumped most of it overboard and got a mutiny on landing - so it should help me deal with the provisions consumption issue.

The indians is not working in this quest, no dialog, nothing happens.
In warehouse the indians wont fight.
ItemLogic -> randItem draw: no model for item Greenford_town.indian15
ItemLogic -> randItem draw: no model for item Greenford_town.medical2

Last edited:
Well this quest seems very flaky, using @ANSEL 's save i got the none talking dock indians and a lock up when returning into the town. Using the save I did for @ColonelKetchup30 (after his game locked up) I got two of the five indians fighting in the warehouse - so they got killed but the other three were just ignored by everybody so the fight ended with them still walking round with about 20 crew who "turned up to help". I then used the above posted save before going to Catagena and triggered the food problem but when I paid the beggar got the right questbooik entry (and the temporary end of quest message) not a "you killed the beggar" response and log entry. As a further bug the first time I tried the sail to Cartagena I got the port loading screen but was place on the shore (with graphical anomaly bug to boot), second time it put me on the dock as it should. So all in all NOT nice

@Levis was in the process of writing this quest, but did a vanishing act halfway through.
So I will definitely believe that it is unfinished and unpolished.

I myself have no intention of fixing and finishing it.
If there are indeed so many issues with it, I'd be quite happy to just disable it in the mod with a toggle on it.
That would put a definite end to the problems for sure! :whipa

I have run this through to the end and back to Bridgetown. This is not setting the island right as I cannot go to the pier and then on to my ship normally. If I fast travel to my ship I get a black screen on going to sea. Cannot progress the game at all from this point.
Investigation shows that this issue arises when returning from Cartagena.
A few comments on the quests:
1. The Indians in the port don't talk unless you have accepted the collector side quest.
2. Moving out of Cartagena town after talking to the Indian in the street always give you -5 rep hits and QB says you killed the indian for the information - even if you didn't.
3. The apothecary has no dialogue after the truce with the Indians.
4. The ret of it worked OK - I got the hidden treasure in Bridgetown and all the way to and back from Cartagena. I got the 200 coins and special items from the Collector.

I will have a look at the code and if it is something I can fix, I will have a go - I do like this and possibly with a little more work can have it operational to the end point as it stands and still be able to carry on with the game after. Am a little busy with work so don't expect to much in the next week.

OK @salonikasurf I'll leave it alone (not that I had yet done anything in anger about trying to fix it). There is also the other thread which raises the question of your crew starving whilst you are away

Good luck with it, Reading the code (and @Levis spoiler) I too think it has some interesting elements if the rough spots/breaks can be removed without too much heartache.

Thanks for looking into this, @salonikasurf! And thanks for your willingness as well to @pedrwyth. :cheers

If at some point you run into issues here that you can't seem to figure out, please say so and I'll do what I can to help. :doff

When it says not finished, does it mean that there is no Indians to deliver the opium to, type of un-finished?

When it says not finished, does it mean that there is no Indians to deliver the opium to, type of un-finished?
The person writing this sidequest started on it and then disappeared.
So it is not polished and misses an ending too.

I have played through as much of the quest as I can (a walkthrough is now on the Wiki ) under the side quests page, here:-
Mysterious Plants (Apothecary) Quest | PiratesAhoy!

I played this using Beta 4 public release 2nd April

If anyone wants to test things and needs a Save – let me know and I will provide one close to the point you want. (I hope):p

This was played on the Free Play Story – Arcade Realism – Landlubber difficulty

Not sure if some of these problems ( e.g. Unarmed Natives ) are caused by the difficulty the player plays on. – I saw something in the code that referenced the difficulty level , ( think it said SEADOG ) but I could not understand the code – I played Arcade with easiest difficulty ( Landlubber ) which might have affected things.

I agree with the comments made by @ salonikasurf here :-

I have run this through to the end and back to Bridgetown. This is not setting the island right as I cannot go to the pier and then on to my ship normally. If I fast travel to my ship I get a black screen on going to sea. Cannot progress the game at all from this point.

Investigation shows that this issue arises when returning from Cartagena.

A few comments on the quests:

1. The Indians in the port don't talk unless you have accepted the collector side quest.

2. Moving out of Cartagena town after talking to the Indian in the street always give you -5 rep hits and QB says you killed the indian for the information - even if you didn't.

3. The apothecary has no dialogue after the truce with the Indians.

4. The ret of it worked OK - I got the hidden treasure in Bridgetown and all the way to and back from Cartagena. I got the 200 coins and special items from the Collector.

This is what I have found:-

When you start the quest if you talk to a townsperson – Quest book updates with text 1, then talk to the Apothecary it updates again with text 1. (so text appears twice)

If you refuse to accept the quest & Exit the Apothecary – talk to the priest & Mob outside – if you choose the “ No Business “ option and stay at bottom of steps when explosion happens – Apothecary shop will close OK – BUT tavern girl does not appear to tell you to give her albatross & Quest Book does not close. So Quest Broken.

If you refuse to accept the quest & Exit the Apothecary – talk to the priest & Mob outside – if you choose the – Offer money (donation) to Priest leading Mob option – go back and talk to Apothecary – he asks you to make donation to church – go to church and make donation using normal donation dialog – go back to Apothecary and – he asks you to make donation to church again – dialog goes round & round in circles going nowhere.

Unarmed Natives – when groups of Natives are spawned ( In Port – Warehouse – Lighthouse Bay ) several of them don’t have Arrows or Tomahawks (have bows & curare or tar) – so they don’t fight. If you attack/fight these where there are Town Guard soldiers (in the town or Port) then the Town Guards will attack you.

Once after accepting the Apothecary quest - exited the Apothecary – native supposed to be attacking my crewman outside – Native spawned without arrows or tomahawk – so he just stood there – I had to kill him to cause quest to continue – but this also caused the 6 Town Guard soldiers to attack me. xD

In the warehouse – you may need to kill the non-fighting Natives because the Note for the Treasure will be on one of them.

In the fight in the Warehouse where your crew rescue you – there are 5/6 Natives –and approx. 15 Crew who are immortal – it makes it really crowded and difficult – should be fewer crew I think. Also sometimes the quest won't continue ( crewman talk to you ) until after all the Natives (including the Unarmed ones - that the crew won't fight ) are dead. :shrug

Unarmed Natives - when you have killed all the armed ones – the icon at the top left for the alive Unarmed Natives says they are dead – but they are still alive standing up (see images )

Buying Bows from the Natives in the Port – If you can buy them (have the necessary Skills ) then you can go round the Natives using the dialog to buy all the bows you want – each time you have a dialog with a Native you will get a bow ( even though if you kill a Native they only have 1 bow ) so you can keep talking to them till you have more bows than you possibly need.

When you follow the Native from the Tavern to the Warehouse – you are supposed to be able to talk to him on the way which should stop him from going to the Warehouse – does not work – you can’t talk to the Native - he stops occasionally but just keeps going to the warehouse.

Unable to get the Prison Officer to take the Indian Treasure from me – as per quest book text 30

text.t30=I've reported the things I overheard to the guards. I've also shown them the potions I found which they buried. The guard told me these are very illegal and he took them from me. But they did seem very pleased and told me this was enough information to arrest those natives.

Can’t get this text to appear in quest Book :(

At the end of the Quest after teleporting back from Cartagena and talking to the Apothecary – I went to my ship ( it is not in Port but you can Fast Travel to it - it appears on the F2 Ship Screen)

Tried to go to Sea and the Game crashed – to a Black Screen. – tried several times – same thing.

See attached error logs and Save ( Bridgetown Port after teleporting Back )

Other Comments:-

1) – I think this might have been asked before sometime, but I can’t remember so - what happens about the 4 special medicines for the Apothacary – if it is closed – the albatross goes to the tavern girl OK – but Acetum Saturninum - Confectio Damocritis - Tincture of Laudenum - Turpeth - can’t be sold - so you just have to dump them in a chest or ignore them when you find them I suppose.

2) I would prefer to Sail to Cartagena and back from Bridgetown - rather than being Teleported.

Any Questions - please ask :read

:drunk

Attachments

• PotC_B14Beta4_Dead_Dead_Native.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Dead_Dead_Native.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 328
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Dead_Standing_Native.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Dead_Standing_Native.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 348
  • error_ship.log
    3.2 KB · Views: 278
  • compile_ship.log
    4.3 KB · Views: 295
  • system_ship.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 298
  • -=Player=- Barbados.7z
    492.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
That's weird because I only did this quest the other night, I went through the whole thing all the way to Cartagena without issue, got told by a native beggar there that the people I am looking for are staying in a hotel, then a message appears saying this is as far as the quest has been developed, I figured it was one of the unfinished quest lines, walked back to my ship, a message popped up at the docks saying I killed the native and lose 5 rep.
Also playing free play on Realistic game mode.

That's weird because I only did this quest the other night, I went through the whole thing all the way to Cartagena without issue, got told by a native beggar there that the people I am looking for are staying in a hotel, then a message appears saying this is as far as the quest has been developed,

Yes - it is possible to play the quest all the way through to its current ending :yes

It is just that some of the options that you can choose along the way do not appear to work yet.

And some of the options to refuse the quest early on - and either possibly go back to it later do not work yet.

:drunk

I might have something to add here:
Im standing in front of this shady guy in the bridgetown tavern and I try to give him the bows, but on klicking the "Here are the requested weapons" sentence, my game freezes.

Shame this quest was never properly finished.
Well, this sounds like I should simply forget about that quest right now, but how do I get rid of the journal entry?
Thanks!

Well, this sounds like I should simply forget about that quest right now, but how do I get rid of the journal entry?
Don't know. To find out, I'd have to dive into the coding of that quest and I don't really want to.
Not until well after the (Opium) Smuggling has been confirmed to be fully OK.
I wouldn't want to clean up more than 1 unfinished and buggy feature at a time! :whipa

It´s the side quest "The collector".

The problem must be in this short part of code:

case "Finish Collector Quest Smugglers":
ChangeSmugglerLiking(pchar, 5);
TakeNItems(PChar, "pistolbow", -10);
TakeNItems(PChar, "tar", 5);
AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 200);
AddQuestRecord("smuggle_collector", 8);
CloseQuestHeader("smuggle_collector");
DeleteAttribute(PChar,"quest.smuggle_collector.meet_buyer"); <== ? I found another line with "PChar.quest.smuggle_collector.meet_buyer = true;" ?

pchar.quest.smuggling_guild.quests.collector = true; <== ? Never found this in quest_side.c a second time ?
AddXP(pchar, SKILL_COMMERCE, 2500, XP_GROUP_OFFIC);
AddXP(pchar, SKILL_SNEAK, 1000, XP_GROUP_OFFIC);
break;

I´m really not used to this script commands, although they seem very similar to all other sciprt commands I´m just too far outside this specific code o_O
I couldn´t even tell if it´s OK to call up a "deleteattribute" command on a command-Line which is set to be "true" ???

But CloseQuestHeader("smuggle_collector"); could do it as well...

Does "Finish Collector Quest Smugglers" ever get called?
You can check your compile.log file as any quest case that is executes gets mentioned in there.

I couldn´t even tell if it´s OK to call up a "deleteattribute" command on a command-Line which is set to be "true" ???
That is indeed OK. You can either set an existing attribute to 'false', but also remove it altogether.
If you do the second, it will be as if it never existed.

But CloseQuestHeader("smuggle_collector"); could do it as well...
Should do. Or, if you don't want it to clutter your questbook:
Code:
DeleteQuestHeader("smuggle_collector");

Does "Finish Collector Quest Smugglers" ever get called?

[/CODE]

Yes, as part of the dialogue in "smuggler_collector.c"

case "Decline Sell Bows":
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[4];
Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[5];
Link.l1.go = "exit bows";
break;

case "Agree Sell Bows":

AddDialogExitQuest("Finish Collector Quest Smugglers");
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[6];
Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[5];
Link.l1.go = "exit bows";
break;

case "exit bows":
NextDiag.CurrentNode = NextDiag.TempNode;
DialogExit();
break;

Is this good, or bad? :confused:

***edit*** Ohhh... I didn´t seem to be added in any other function in "Quest_side.c"

********edit again*********

Hmmm "Decline Collectors Offer" isn´t found either... Naaargh! For me, all this code is just too diffrent from what I worked with...

Last edited:
I'm sure you can learn. I learned from knowing nothing at all.
You've got an advantage to already know coding. :cheeky

Back