• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Applying for Coordinator

Viper

Mutineer Hunter
Hi,

My name is Viper i am 23 years old and live in the Netherlands. I would like to apply for coordinator for the Hearts of Oak project, i have an extreme amount of time to spend and ever since i started playing New Horizons a few years back i love Pirate Games. In the meantime, I have overseen a few other projects so i know what it takes and i am skilled in communication. Also i am an very skilled Bug/beta tester if ever needed one. I have been asked for games like the Star wars beta, Battlefield Heroes, and only a few days ago i received the question from Bethesda If i would like to join.

I hope my application will be considered.

Cya

Viper

Hi Viper, thanks for applying. :ahoy

We would be glad to have you on the team. Which projects have you overseen in the past, out of interest?
And do you have a particular area of interest or knowledge, in relation to the different tasks we have? (e.g. interest/knowledge in modelling, texture work, story writing, programming, and so on)

I dont know if you are familiar with Freelancer? its an open world space game, i oversaw the development of Discovery Mod partially. Unfortunately i had an extremely busy year back then so i had to resign from it. As for the two other projects.. They have been discontinued so are quite irrelevant. But one is an mod for Unreal Tournament 3 which was cool but rather unpopular. The other was a mod for Counterstrike 1.6. Unfortunately the Founders of that last one discontinued it before it was actually finished. The reason is unclear to this very day... My particular field of expertise is actually socially. So that means control of forum boards.. I have been admin on a few quite popular habbo hotel fansites (i know its childish but i liked to play it some years back). But if required id like to do some story writing as well. That kinda depends on what you have in mind. I like moddeling but i am unfamiliar with these engines. I did some ship design for freelancer though those ships are designed really different and with completely different software.
Though if possible i would really like to take up some forum responsibilities. Welcoming, replying support etc.

Hope for response soon.

Viper

Alright my apologies for not reading the role thread. I've missed that one.

To answer your Question exactly my list ranked from most preferred to least would be:

• Coordination and management,
  • Quality control
  • Story writing.
cya

Viper

Though if possible i would really like to take up some forum responsibilities. Welcoming, replying support etc.
If this is what you want to do, I would definitely welcome the assistance. :onya

Have you read much about the Hearts of Oak project? Obviously you'll need to know the general ideas behind it for welcoming others, but I can fill in any blanks for you.

Thanks that would be great, please fill me in on more details over some sort of private message (anything will do) as for Staff contacts, more information about Responsibilities, additional rights, like you said. The general ideas etc etc.

Also please consider giving me a Beta tester job, i love to do bug tracking and i can honestly say im really good at it.

Cya

Ps. you can leave me a private message i think or if not contact me on my email: viperMH@outlook.com

Oh and an desciption on how you guys work would be great as well. the way of conversing etc etc. You can also add me on Skype: Maurits9000

What exactly do you want to coordinate? We have a handle on things already covered in threads in the coordination forum. As far as extra rights go, you get to use the coordination forum to coordinate, and that's about it. The job entails suggesting things to be worked on to team members, keeping up the proper thread in the coordination forum, and basically preventing overlapping or unneeded work. What we really need is a programming coordinator, but I'd ideally like to leave that to one of our programmers who has been working on the project for awhile and knows what has and has not been done.

The topics that are already covered are ships, weapons, clothing, and music. I could use assistance in weapons. I know what weapons are needed, but the weapons modelers are off doing their own things at the moment.

Cooridination of weapons is fine any other subjects? also does anyone of you have a moment sometime to fill me in on how you work and what you exactly want?
As far as extra rights that was kinda about it but i also meant do you have a filestorage where the betaupdates etc are placed. as for bug tracking and beta/alpha testing.

Since Cryengine is not as advanced and way more graphical than UDK (unreal) if you need some help in weapons or anything i will do my best, though i cannot guarantee anything yet (my knowledge of CE is not as advanced yet) i will do my best to help you out.

Our preferred means of contact is via the forum in general, though some members might occasionally prefer to use Skype for particular topics.
We don't yet have any playable releases of the game, but progress is very strong at the moment, so a demo might not be too far off.
When the first release becomes available, we'll let everyone know. ;)

For a brief look into the basic ideas behind Hearts of Oak, see this Wiki page: http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/hearts-of-oak-conquest-of-the-seas/
Our First Game Concept offers a more in-depth overview, but it's now slightly out of date, especially with any references to the UDK.

I'm hoping to get an FAQ up on the Wiki soon, which will make it easier to understand what we're aiming for.
In the meantime, ask if anything is unclear. I'll add you to the Coordination group.

Alright count me in. Ive seen the basic ideas and i think this thing actually has a hell lot of potential though i gotta ask how far are you with everything. What have you accomplished so far? Just general game mechanics or are you even as far as entire maps finished including multiple ship types.

The game is still in the very early stages, hence why we don't have a playable build yet.
Most recently, Captain Murphy has managed to make cannons fire and recoil realistically, and is now working on how ships will interact with the water.

By the way, it's dawned on me that it may have been a bit premature to call you a Coordinator at this stage.
Looking back at everyone else with the role, they had other roles in the team beforehand and eventually either asked or were approached for greater responsibilities.
Would you rather be part of the Creative Support group instead, at least for now? Any help you can give to welcome new members would still be appreciated, and we could give you a Coordinator position at a later date once you're more familiar with the project and the team. And you'd be welcome in the beta testing group once we get there. :)

Does this sound OK? I'm not discriminating or anything, but I'm trying to be fair, so I hope you understand.

Maybe assistant coordinator? I do have him doing useful work that assists in coordination, but other than that there isn't really anything for him to coordinate right now. Of course we would then need a new title, and the amount of groups could get out of hand eventually.

Sure sounds okay but like PC said im already busy so sure its fair but not very effecient now that i have already started working on the project.

Dont get me wrong i understand that others maybe could complain but in a real company those who are manager or lead designer etc etc are also ofyen hired into the company and not promoted from (though its very well possible they are)
And you guys have asked directly i your posts for coordinators so dont you think it would be a bit unfair to me?

Im only trying to help you and all i did was respond to your call for help..

Last edited:
I know what it's like to be "thrown back" professionally and it does absolute murder on one's enthusiasm.
Please don't let that happen here. :no

It's not like we have to pay Viper extra salary for being a "Coordinator", so there's no harm to be done, is there? :razz

The most important thing is to have someone here every day. Too many times I have had to post here because no one else was around, sometimes for weeks.

I know what it's like to be "thrown back" professionally and it does absolute murder on one's enthusiasm.
Please don't let that happen here. :no

It's not like we have to pay Viper extra salary for being a "Coordinator", so there's no harm to be done, is there? :razz
Like we say in holland. Je slaat de spijker op zn kop It indeed does kill enthusiasm and thats a shame especially as i love the idea and teamspirit for Hearts of Oak.

Also im pretty much online all day so thats a pro.

It's not necessarily about time online; The things we are looking for are familiarity with the team, the game, what has been going on, what needs to be going on, and knowledge about how things have been working here.

Would it be fair to remove Viper? Not at all. But at the same time, there's not really anything for him to do in the actual coordinator role. The truth is, we shouldn't have been advertising for coordinators at all, and it didn't occur to me that we were. The only coordinator we did need was a programmer with extensive knowledge of what has already been done and what will need to be done, and that role was recently filled by Captain Murphy.

Viper - If you're already assisting with various coordination tasks, then I will leave you in the Coordination group. :yes

My reasoning for my previous post was that it seems you signed up for a slightly different definition of "Coordinator" to the one we tend to use.
It was also partly due to a recent decision to stop advertising for coordinators, because of confusion like this.
But if you're happy where you are, I won't complain.

Back