• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Artois Voysey Quest Loop

Francis Drake = PIRATE. Perhaps the code preventing Artois from showing up is related to nation = PIRATE instead of to the pirate tutorial, which would explain a lot.

How can Francis Drake's nation be Pirate? Admittedly you're set to flying a pirate flag at the start, but he has an English LoM and I had the English flag up as soon as I got to the "Relations" screen. I was certainly flying the English flag by the time I got to Pirate Settlement.

For that matter, why not set his nation to be England right at the beginning? England is at peace with France in "Early Explorers" so he'll be safe enough at La Tortue. Dutch privateers are the ones who need to pretend to be pirates while they're visiting there.

How can Francis Drake's nation be Pirate? Admittedly you're set to flying a pirate flag at the start, but he has an English LoM and I had the English flag up as soon as I got to the "Relations" screen. I was certainly flying the English flag by the time I got to Pirate Settlement.
Will have to check that....

For that matter, why not set his nation to be England right at the beginning? England is at peace with France in "Early Explorers" so he'll be safe enough at La Tortue. Dutch privateers are the ones who need to pretend to be pirates while they're visiting there.
The reason was simplity: Pirates are always welcome at Tortuga, regardless of anything else.
But indeed a nation relation check could be added. :yes

The last time I started in Early Explorers there was no Artie there, but this time he was there and I hired him. I also installed those 2 lines Pieter made. So yesterday I accidentally talked to him and restarted his quest. :facepalm I immediately made him a captain and he will not set foot on shore again.

I also installed those 2 lines Pieter made. So yesterday I accidentally talked to him and restarted his quest. :facepalm I immediately made him a captain and he will not set foot on shore again.
Wait, what? It still is going wrong? Savegame please!
Or was this on the same save I tested before? If so, then indeed the fix wouldn't work as it has to be done through console.

It is the same game if that is what you mean. Console only? meh He is fine where he is.

Turns out I was wrong. The reason was that the custom starts and therefore also Stormy Start bypass the "TavernSitWaiting" case which is the ones that enables the Artois sidequest.

Anyway, that is fixed now. I also made some changes to avoid flag-changing if not required, so Francis Drake maintains his English flag.
Does mess with the logic of the starting dialog, but I suppose the hint that Tortuga accepts pirate flags is not a bad thing to include.

Last edited:
Which files hold the starting dialog? I've an idea about that. It should be possible to add a line or two to the dialog.h file, and add a condition to the dialog.c file, so that if your nation is not hostile to France then you'll get a message saying so, otherwise you get the default message about pirates.

Which files hold the starting dialog? I've an idea about that. It should be possible to add a line or two to the dialog.h file, and add a condition to the dialog.c file, so that if your nation is not hostile to France then you'll get a message saying so, otherwise you get the default message about pirates.
It is PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\Robert Fletcher_dialog.c for that one.

Artois Voysey should behave himself properly now as per this release: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817
He also shows up again for characters like Francis Drake.

This could still use updating at some point.

Artois dialogue problem has come back again too. - 13 August update. After completing quest his dialogue reverts to the first meeting on Nevis.

Artois dialogue problem has come back again too. - 13 August update. After completing quest his dialogue reverts to the first meeting on Nevis.
What, AGAIN??? You have a savegame just before completing his quest?

I don't understand how that can happen; in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Artois Voysey_dialog.c, he now gets the generic officer dialog assigned to prevent this:
Code:
    case "final_talk_2":
       dialog.snd = "Voice\ARVO\ARVO014";
       dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[29];
       link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[30];
       link.l1.go = "exit";
       pchar.quest.artois_line = "completed";
       NPChar.Dialog.Filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c"; // PB
       Diag.TempNode = "Hired"; // PB
     break;

I can confirm that his dialog is not fixed. I went to Nevis and hired him, sailed around and hit Sao Jorge where he wandered off. I did that part and we sailed away again. After a while we made it back to Sao Jorge and after I saved on the dock I talked to him. He had the Nevis dialog and then wandered off. No save from before hiring him.

New game with Levis's leveling.C in the CAB install.

I started at Nevis so got Artie right away then sailed to Sao Jorge. He wandered off and I rescued him in the jungle. I saved and talked to him and got a blank text and he is still following me around, so it is better than before.

Could you provide a savegame @Hylie Pistof ? I need to see if the dialog file is set right.

This should be the one just before exiting town to talk to the pirates.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Camahogne.7z
    466.1 KB · Views: 148
I'm a bit confused; is the quest now looping BEFORE you complete it?
What I fixed last time indeed doesn't affect anything until after you complete that sidequest to prevent it from starting again.

No.

I have 2 August 13 installs. One based on the old .exe and one based on the CAB.

In the old .exe install after Arty does his thing, then the dialog starts over again from Nevis.

In the CAB install after Arty does his thing when I talked to him I got a big BLANK. But he still follows me around like he should.

I tested @Hylie Pistof's savegame and made some further changes to the dialog node and file assignments to make sure it always works right.
Apparently it would only work right before if you were "Mr. Nice Guy" by not forcing him to divulge his secret.
As per the next update, it should be fixed properly at long last. :boom:

Back