• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Boarding Issues

The only Captains I won't hire are the ones that make you fight your way through the ship deck after deck, and when you finally get to him he surrenders. Sorry chum..

I think there is all sorts of stuff sticking around from the sea scene. Probably would take a lot of time and effort to figure out why though; I'm not familiar with that code at all yet.

Yeah, I didn't expect this to be an easy one to fix. Maybe one day...

HA! Now it works on ALL locations. And NOT during the interface anymore. That's what we wanted, no? :cheeky

Huzzah! Thanks for fixing this! I'll test it out later. :guns:
Out of interest, could you explain what the problem was in the first place?

Just got round to boarding an enemy ship, and it's a much better experience with the working sound effects! And much less noisy when using the transfer interface afterwards. :doff

Out of interest, could you explain what the problem was in the first place?
As far as I can tell, the code starting the sound effect was in the wrong place as it didn't do what we wanted it to. Had to remove both original instances and put it somewhere else.
Then the code to stop the sound effect had been out-commented, but why I do not know. Perhaps the misspelling in there prevented it from ever working properly in the first place.

I'm not entirely sure what it was originally intended to do, but from what I can tell, it WAS intended to do what it does now. Though I don't think it ever DID work.
It seems I've been doing a lot of "restoring old code" lately. A lot of it either never worked properly or was broken somewhere along the line.

For example, that Cannons Interface had been heavily rewritten already to fix all sorts of issues, but I ended up having to rewrite it all again to really make it do what was originally intended.
And those long-standing Options Menu and New Game issues had been given up on by at least one expert coder and bugfixer. Same with those Treasure Quest locators.
It is good to have so many things put right again though. So much more fun when the game works the way it is intended to. :cheeky

Just got round to boarding an enemy ship, and it's a much better experience with the working sound effects! And much less noisy when using the transfer interface afterwards. :doff
I'm glad you approve. I was also quite happy to find out that this part, at least, wasn't too hard to accomplish. :treasure:

It's kind of sad that you've had to fix so much old code that has been forgotten about, but it sure is great that so many problems have been put to rest as a result. :bow

Speaking if which... I wonder if it's possible to fix the wrong music from playing when you return to sea after boarding an enemy ship... :wp
It seems to be that if the enemy you boarded was the only one in the area, then the battle music plays even though there are no more enemies left (and possibly vice versa).
The music corrects itself after a reload, OR after a weather change that uses different music (e.g. going from evening to night).
For the record, this probably isn't as critical to fix, but if it's easy enough, then all the better.

Had a quick look at that, but couldn't make sense of it just yet. Mind if I put that on my long-term to-do list?
Right now I'm putting together some files for Beta 2.5 Test Version 4 together. I'm hoping that will be the LAST one before the real Beta 2.5.

Sure, I can live with this one a bit longer. :onya

But, I fixed that. Relevant code is in AIAbordage and AIShip. o_O

Did this happen before or after Pieter's fix? I guess I could take a look at it when the next WIP patch is released. :)

I like the stuff I'm seeing here, along with the other stuff, I can't wait for the Beta 2.5 release :)

Did this happen before or after Pieter's fix? I guess I could take a look at it when the next WIP patch is released. :)

That music has been like that for a very long time. I never bothered mentioning it because there are more important things to complain about.

When ransoming officers in the cargo hold the dialog is hard to figure out. Ransom is not in the first set of choices and it is hard to find where it is in the dialog tree. Any help?

It works for me in Beta 2.3. :shrug I'll see what I can find out.

When ransoming officers in the cargo hold the dialog is hard to figure out. Ransom is not in the first set of choices and it is hard to find where it is in the dialog tree. Any help?

It seems there are two dialogs, one that allows ransoms and that does not. The one where you kill him is the most common one.

The music has always been mixed up for me, same as what Hylie said. I'm not sure what could be stopping your fix from working. :shrug

i think the thing with the music after boarding was even in the original game "bugged"^^
Keep me updated when you release the last testversion of beta 2.5, i definitly want to test and report ;)

It works for me, on a fresh Beta 2.5 WIP 4. :shrug Standard Nathaniel Hawk storyline, standard music settings. If there are more enemies left after a boarding battle music will play, otherwise sailing music will play.

However, now in 2.5 after a deck has been cleared sailing music will play instead of boarding music. I changed the LAi_boarding file so that boarding music will play again. I also noticed that my fix so that it doesn't rain inside during boarding was accidentally placed so that it only worked if the enemy surrendered. I changed it so that it will work regardless if the enemy surrenders or not.

Also, as it is now in 2.5, in the ransack interface after boarding sailing music will play. Should music play here or not? If not, this ransack_main file disables it. It goes in PROGRAM\INTERFACE.

Attachments

• LAi_boarding.c
    97.1 KB · Views: 118
  • ransack_main.c
    38.8 KB · Views: 135
Back