• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1 Feedback

i think everyone agrees that the french taunts are annoying as hell. who's up for replacing them with those from monty python? :)) (i could, but i want to know the demand for it here)

Unfortunately, I encountered that sound earlier while boarding. Seems it still persists, annoyingly.
modding.gif

something i noticed is that sounds tend to stick around even after removal. it happens to soundtracks too. it's really bizarre. sometimes pressing F11 at a specific point fixes it, but i have not yet found the exact timing.

but seriously, anyone want to release the french lolbrigade? i know i will. gonna look up their taunts and replace em tomorrow. i got the required MP3's already.

You know, in the french stock PotC french sounds are not annoying. And I don't see why they should be, by the way. Monty Python?!? I really don't understand you here. What the hell would that do in this game?

I had given the 'hang you by your entrails' taunt to Pirates because I was judging on how it sounded on my game version... And I'm glad I rewrote this code to make the sounds nation-dependent, because before I'm quite sure it was much more annoying (I still can't stand Eng_m_a_059, Eng_m_a_062, and Eng_m_b_063.wav because of how many time I've heard them). Same thing for merchants : a bit of variation was mandatory, and I think it added to the game ambiant. I used to walk at Douwesen being happy to have all those merchants using the dutch sounds.
I still have no idea how these sounds looks like in a non-French-stock PotC. I asked people to put theirs on the FTP, so I could judge if the effect was appropriate, but well, none ever seems to care much about that problem until now.

If I remember well, I had began to rewrote this code again, but as we switch back to using .ini files, that wouldn't have worked.

Honestly, Morgan Terror, taunts of the French in Monty Python King Arthur : no, please!

aww... feh, i'm doing it anyway. should make those seabattles more entertaining, that's for sure. i mean, if you're going to yell at me in a bad accent, it might as well be funny. but what do you mean stock potc? they never taunted in the stock game.

ah, i noticed something. the only annoying french taunts are those of the 'a' variety, which are currently used. 'b' and especially 'c' are much less annoying. not at all in fact.

but what do you mean stock potc? they never taunted in the stock game.
I'm not sure to understand. If you mean that NPCs didn't use any sound other than the dialog greeting, then you are wrong...
This had been left rather untouched in the build mod - for what I recall, before I edited the code the only change had been to decrease the chance of thoses sounds occurring.

As for the french voices, b sounds more like a rogue sailor, a and c are overall similar.

i dunno, i don't remember them doing that. i'm sure they used fewer of them, and didn't take nationality into account, at least. and although 'a' and 'c' might be similar, 'c' isn't annoying. in fact, it's quite a pleasant accent to listen to. 'a' just really grates on my nerves. i'd very much prefer to hear 'c' instead. don't care if they say the same lines.

are you sure that the reduction of the amount of taunts still works? i'm still hearing 4 at the same time at every fight.

i'm sure they used fewer of them, and didn't take nationality into account, at least.
For some strange reason, I feel like you might be right on this account. :wp

and although 'a' and 'c' might be similar, 'c' isn't annoying. in fact, it's quite a pleasant accent to listen to. 'a' just really grates on my nerves. i'd very much prefer to hear 'c' instead. don't care if they say the same lines.
I was talking about the voices in the French game... As said before, I have no idea how they sound in the English PotC.

Well, I don't see any problem in using the 'c' voices instead of 'a'. Not sure if it will sound better in French game, but for everyone else's ears it looks like it's required...

are you sure that the reduction of the amount of taunts still works? i'm still hearing 4 at the same time at every fight.
I know the probability was reduced prior to my work, for the merchants. But concerning warriors, with my code it might be triggered more often. More importantly, it doesn't take into account the number of people around : that was something I was planning to add last year, before I stopped PotC modding. :(
The idea was the more people there is, the lower the probability to play the sound. If I come back into PotC modding, I'll look at it.

man, that would be so much better. oddly enough, the python quotes caused the game to crash. oh well.

Back