• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

Most (or even all) resources are down.
Server problems? Im having hard time staying logged in since it went down.
But thats not exaclty a place to whine about.

Just wait for someone to repair it.

Until then HERE

[The only thing I did was to change "dialog option up" and "dialog option down" to W and S, thinking that might make more sense.
Personally I'm not used to it, but it was suggested by another member and I thought it was worth a try. Shouldn't mess things up though.
However, you can restore PROGRAM\CONTROLS\DefaultControls.h from Patch 4 and remove the options file and things should be as normal as they were before.

I was wondering about this change. Are we going to keep it? It doesn't seem so much pratical to me, and I'm not sure it's easier to guess for a newcomer than down and up arrows. Besides, it doesn't seems to adjust well to a azerty keyboard.

Indeed? Oh well. Maybe I really played too much at Seadogs then. Thought in Seadogs, the arrows keys had more use than in PotC - together with the mouse, you could use them to move your character on land for example.

As for moving our character at land, I tried the M&B-like controls, but reverted back to what it was.

What's the arrow keys still used for in PotC? Default Build settings, movement is with WASD, so I figured since your hand is going to be on those buttons anyway, you might as well use them in dialogs too. Right? :?

What's the arrow keys still used for in PotC? Default Build settings, movement is with WASD, so I figured since your hand is going to be on those buttons anyway, you might as well use them in dialogs too. Right? :?
Well, maybe it wasn't a bad idea, I was just asking out of curiosity.... As said before, I did try for a while the WASD as movement keys and in the end I got back to the mouse, but that's just me. In M&B controls are very effective and well-thought, in PotC we might have just become used to silly controls. :shrug

quick question, completly unrelated : in Ubisoft french PotC, sounds for french females start by Fra_f_*_00*, while male's start by 'Fre'. I've just noticed that currently Fre_f is being used almost everytime in the code. Are the english sounds written Fre_f_ ? If so, that might requires some extra rename lines in the next runme.bat...

I'm just used to the WASD controls since all of the PC games I've played used them. I use left click to block, right click to attack and space to dodge.

It IS "fre_" for ALL French sound files in my game version.

Anybody with sensible key assignment suggestions, please let me know. I DO think the current ones might be a bit silly.
Though not quite as much so as the original game. :razz

It IS "fre_" for ALL French sound files in my game version.
Then runme.bat should be edited to take care of that : when moving around the sounds, in the case you installed Build 14 on top of a french game, the female french voices need to be renamed from fra_f_*_*** to fre_f_*_*** .

I just made a new install of stock PotC + Build 14 beta full + update5. Seems to work alright, thought there sure is some to work to do about the usual bugs.
However, just a small detail : when launching the game, the loading screen before the main menu is stock one. As we changed almost every loading screen, and as in previous versions this screen had be changed, I wonder what could have happen ?

i have soem problems with build 14 patch 1.5. is normal to :

see some uniforms in violet
when walking to the left using A or B keyboard keys, i start to hover in stairs, or i get catched by assasin tables or columns (damn them, spying nijas).
can't acces to any, any, shipyard!
can't see any city name on open sea map.... i have to remember where the cities were...

if it is normal, then perfect. if no...

:modding :modding :modding

I'm pretty sure I DID change EVERY loading screen.

Violet uniforms? Do you have a screenshot?

A/D is a known sidestep problem; see the FAQ on the Build forum.

You mean you can't Fast Travel to shipyards? This is linked with your other problem and due to Realistic Game Mode.
You can turn that off in the Options menu; new game required.

Hi there, how would i be able to get the Endeavour or HMS Victory designs for a 100gunned ship, i've been trying to change the ship the story starts with just so i can have a look at the ship models and so far i can olny find 90 guns ships with the right yellow and black design, the only manowar 100 gun class ships i find are the wrong colours?

thanks alot sorry if this is a stupid question im new to the game and not all that great with computers

Ahoy, and welcome! :gday

To get the best versions of HMS Victory or Endeavour, you need the Christmas Ship Pack for Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 5.
Then, to give yourself either of them, find the file 'console.c' in PotC/PROGRAM folder.
Once you've found it, use a text editor, like Notepad, to change the following, for example:

Code:
// Give ship
// ------------------
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type,pchar.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"NL_Amsterdam","Amsterdam",-1,HOLLAND,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,SHIP_CURSED,"Black Pearl",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"CursedDutchman","Flying Dutchman",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"FR_SteamFrigate","Jeanne d'Arc",-1,FRANCE,true,true);

to:

Code:
// Give ship
// ------------------
GiveShip2Character(pchar,"Victory1","HMS Victory",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type,pchar.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"NL_Amsterdam","Amsterdam",-1,HOLLAND,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,SHIP_CURSED,"Black Pearl",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"CursedDutchman","Flying Dutchman",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"FR_SteamFrigate","Jeanne d'Arc",-1,FRANCE,true,true);

Finally, save that file, and start the game. Load any savegame, and press F12. Then, just go to any other location, and you now have HMS Victory.
The same can be done for the Endeavour: replace 'Victory1' with 'HMS_Endeavour', and change 'HMS Victory' to 'HMS Endeavour' in console.c.

I hope that's clear enough for you, but let me know if you need some more guidance. ;)

While I was away I installed PotC on another computer. Just building my own database. I ran into a situation that needs looking into. I tried to dl build 14 beta 1 full from the MODDB. With 5 hours and 42 minutes left it quit. The error said it could not read the source file. Tried again. This time it made it to 16 minutes left. Same error. I then came here and got build 14 full, patch 5 and the Christmas Ship pack with no problems at all. PotC was then up and running in no time.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. There is a lot of traffic over there and I'm wondering how many gamers tried to dl PotC, had similar issues, and just moved on.

Ahoy Pieter et all! I'm another long lost Pirate of this place, deciding to return and see whats what ;)

Just to reply to miklit's mention on possible issues with the MODDB downloads. I downloaded both the beta 14 full and patch 5 from there yesterday and today they installed fine, and the game ran first time with no problems.

One thing i noticed is during installation of the beta 5 patch, i got a prompt to overwrite some files(and decided to), but as this isn't mentioned specifically in point 2. of the installation instructions("Install beta patch 5 into your main PotC folder, and then run rename.bat"), it might catch a few people out and they might chose 'no'? It might be a good idea to add they can allow the patch to overwrite stuff?

Other than that, and getting sunk by the French fleet(as i forgot how to change colours!), i think things are looking ship shape and I should find some time to post some impressions. I will also go and read the instructions on how to play again and am really looking forward to trying out the 'Direct Sailing' :)

Long time, no see. Welcome back, mate! :woot

That's a good point; for Patch 6, I'll be sure to mention that they need to allow the installer to overwrite everything.
Probably once we make Beta 2, I'll have all installers be "proper" installers and then it should be a bit clearer.

Back