• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

The treasure quests are quite common early in the game when you are broke, but rare later on when you have some money.
There is zero relation with anything. Their appearance is 100% random.

And it was fun! If you need anything else just let me know. :doff
Could you be convinced to do a custom interface picture for the cannons of the Flying Dutchman? They're severely overpowered. :wp

Apparently so. As far as I can tell, there really isn't any code in place to deliberately do that.
The only thing I know to try to address that is by putting this on my To-Do List:
Code:
Update weather system to use location of storms + trade winds

It's probably hard coded in. It is very consistent and predictable. For instance I have learned to give any promontories or headlands a very wide berth as the winds around them are very bad.

It's probably hard coded in. It is very consistent and predictable.
Strange. There IS a weather system that controls the wind direction, so we should be able to influence it.
There is also the SetNextWind function with which you can set up the wind direction and speed for the next time you enter 3D sailing mode.
That works. We used it to make the escape from Speightstown with the corvette not impossible due to an unfavourable wind.

In the "deliver the chest" side quest after talking to McDorey in the shipyard, the next time you go to Martinique the Black Pearl should make an appearance. I was all set up for it by buying a frigate and the BP did not show. The BP not showing happens more often than not, but there is always a message that the BP is there.
This time there was nothing. No BP, no message....

On the one hand I was disappointed at the no show, but on the other I was happy to have all my ships in good condition.

I've listed it on the to-do list. Once we've all general game issues sorted out, I'm looking forward to PLAYING the game and sorting out some story issues as I run into them.

Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 12/15 Hybrid Test Version

Download: http://piratesahoy.net/build/wip/b14_beta3_wip12_hybrid.exe (12.8 MB)
Installation: Extract on top of Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 12 AND DELETE YOUR "options" FILE!!
New game: Required

Known Issues:
- Stock island names in Map Interface and probably the Worldmapare not all correct
- Personal/Pirate flag Interface discrepancies

This version is the WIP 12 code base with as much of the WIP 15 content added as I could, hopefully without introducing the worst problems we have been experiencing:
- Philipsburg on Saint Martin not showing up
- Incorrect Ship Relations at Sea
- Characters showing up during boardings that don't join the fight properly
- Wrong period soldiers during Saint Martin war (and possibly elsewhere too)

Please test this and let me know if the above DO or do NOT happen. And also if there are any other major problems we didn't have before.
I'm especially interested to know if boardings work properly or not in this version.

If you are checking "Incorrect Ship Relations at Sea", use Arcade Game Mode and the Sail-To Menu to check initial relations.
If you are unsure if hostile ships are due to being recognized or not, check your compile.log: the "We are recognized, captain!" now appears in there so you can check after the fact.

The following still refers to WIP 12:

Well, so much for my ambitions to get cursed hardcore style. The fog is just to much of a hassle to make this worthwhile. Not that much for hindering the sight but much more for being really hard on the performance of my machine. Everything slows down. It's tedious.

BTW - The curse seems not to work the way it is intended to work. There are 2 issues:

1.) Whenever I am a skeleton, people may or may not attack me. Sometimes they do, sometimes they act like everything is perfectly normal. I can even talk to them. Especially if I am in a place, where I already kicked everybody's ass as a skeleton. People seem to not attack me anymore, when I pass by again as a skeleton. At least that's the case in Nevis, where nobody cares anymore if I am a skeleton.

2.) The fog disappears whenever I set foot on an enemy ship. As soon as I return to sea, there is no cursed fog anymore. That remains this way until a new screen/area at sea is loaded. Then the fog reappears.

There are two other minor bugs:

a.) When I sell a ship in the shipyard, there is an increased chance for the game to crash. I never had this issue before.

b.) This is odd. There was a dutch captain, who I captured and took ransom for. This happened in the waters of Nevis. Now - whenever I board another ship around Nevis and make my way to the captains cabin for the final duel, the dutch captain is standing around there. He does nothing and cannot be talked to. He is just there, loitering around.

BTW - how in the blue hell do you get ransom if you have the prisoners in your cargo? I NEVER EVER got a dialogue option to take ransom. I just can let 'em run, make them my officers, beat their ass, have 'em executed, insult 'em .... but no option to take ransom ever appears, when dealing with a prisoner in person (instead over the passenger list).

Oh, one more thing. The Dutch captain is NOT there instead of the actual captain. So I meet the enemy capatain as I should, but the Dutch guy is standing around there, too. Oh, and he cannot be killed. VERY weird.

What I forgot to mention: Yes the crew can take bandages from the locker now .... but they never use 'em. All dead bodies of crewmembers that I checked, indeed had a bandage on them .... which means,that they don't use 'em. The bandages also don't reduce in my locker ... and I board a lot! Other than any weapons etc. I also can't pick the bandages up from dead crewmembers ... for whatever reason.

A few minor issues I found last night in the hybrid mod.

Bad dialog at the Smugglers Camp at Grenada (Conception)
bad dialog grenada smugglers.jpg

Bad dialog at Cayman.
bad dialog cayman.jpg

Bad model at Cayman. Kate Blowhorn in the Nevis store used to have this problem, so that might be a good place to look for a solution.
bad arms cayman.jpg

Well, so much for my ambitions to get cursed hardcore style. The fog is just to much of a hassle to make this worthwhile. Not that much for hindering the sight but much more for being really hard on the performance of my machine. Everything slows down. It's tedious.
I'll believe that; especially when the camera gets close to the particles. That's why the fog density decreases when you go on deck.
We could reduce the "particles per second" or perhaps link it with the cannon smoke effects.

1.) Whenever I am a skeleton, people may or may not attack me. Sometimes they do, sometimes they act like everything is perfectly normal. I can even talk to them. Especially if I am in a place, where I already kicked everybody's ass as a skeleton. People seem to not attack me anymore, when I pass by again as a skeleton. At least that's the case in Nevis, where nobody cares anymore if I am a skeleton.
Pirates.... they've probably seen their fair share of weird stuff. Be glad not everyone tries to kill you.
To be fair, I have seen some weird effects with it, with the "danger" still being on when I go into a tavern, for example. But nothing truly harmful. :shrug

What I forgot to mention: Yes the crew can take bandages from the locker now .... but they never use 'em. All dead bodies of crewmembers that I checked, indeed had a bandage on them .... which means,that they don't use 'em. The bandages also don't reduce in my locker ... and I board a lot! Other than any weapons etc. I also can't pick the bandages up from dead crewmembers ... for whatever reason.
I'm pretty sure we had at least one report of the number of bandages decreasing.

I noticed that weird effect with looting potions too; not sure why that happens. :modding

the cayman.c goes into PROGRAM -> Characters -> init
the cayman citizen_dialog.c goes into PROGRAM -> DIALOGS
;)

I noticed some weird stuff with the sound effects. When I change my sails (no sail -> battle sail -> full sail) there is no voice over as there used to be. Also when I try firing guns but the target is still out of reach, the voice over "Guns ready, captain" is played. It is basically played everytime, when I hit the space bar and cannot fire. Even when my guns are clearly not ready, due to reloading.

Also the % gains are not displayed any longer, when using the realistic experience system (they take place, though). Is this intentional?

Oh and yes, the stock game names appear on the map. In direct sail the island names are correctly displayed, though. For Example: "We are approaching Martinique" rather than "Fallaise de Fleur".

Gotta go back to my saved game now. There is an European Bark awaiting my triumphant boarding ....:ship

I noticed some weird stuff with the sound effects. When I change my sails (no sail -> battle sail -> full sail) there is no voice over as there used to be. Also when I try firing guns but the target is still out of reach, the voice over "Guns ready, captain" is played. It is basically played everytime, when I hit the space bar and cannot fire. Even when my guns are clearly not ready, due to reloading.
I've put together a new set of files now, which should put the sound back.
The cannon reload sound code was rewritten, but doesn't work right. I removed the "#GunNotReady" sound in the file I'm getting ready now.

Also the % gains are not displayed any longer, when using the realistic experience system (they take place, though). Is this intentional?
Indeed depending on your realism setting and logs toggle (use the [L]-key) you will no longer get nonsense log messages.
Why would you get log messages about EVERYONE gaining skills anyway. It does still happen; you just don't see it.

Oh and yes, the stock game names appear on the map. In direct sail the island names are correctly displayed, though. For Example: "We are approaching Martinique" rather than "Fallaise de Fleur".
That was a little mistake of mine. Looks to be all better now in my current game version.

Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 12/15 Hybrid Test Version 2

Download: http://piratesahoy.net/build/wip/b14_beta3_wip12_hybrid2.exe (84.4 MB)
Installation: Extract on top of Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 12 AND DELETE YOUR "options" FILE!!
New game: Required

Unless I am very much mistaken, this version should fix just about every major problem introduced in WIP 15 and still have all the important new content.
Please let me know if this is not the case. Will make a new proper installer for in the main post once it is confirmed this works properly-like.

First, the recognition system has really been changed. No one shot at me although this one lugger that I got within 300 yards of did follow me for a while. Other ships at 1,000-1,500 yards did not seem to react at all but just went on their way. Strange. :unsure

At Cayman this girl had the bad arms problem although she never had it before.
cayman arms.jpg

Back