• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Schalkepirat, you're just using default WASD controls and they don't work? Wha? That has always worked for me.
Though sometimes I have to reset controls to default because it gets confused. Or something.

It works but I can not replace the keys. I have been playing for years with the arrow keys instead of W, A, S, D.
Now you can show only A and D with arrow keys

You can set up the controls any way you want in internalsettings.h. I change my keys with every update.

Uh, no super ship defense? This is from the game I am playing today.
beta3 2013-12-05 13-26-59-27.jpg

A bit, I think. But I'm not sure to what extent. It is definitely more pronounced in fencing though.

The thing, which makes the fencing/melee hard in this game, is most due to the leveling opponents and how clunky everything is. If one makes the mistake of not pushing his melee skill early on, things will become a lot harder later on. Especially if the alternative level system is in effect (the learn-by-doing one). Even on Journeyman difficulty bandits will kill you with 1 to 2 strikes sometimes if you are north of level 8-10 and your melee skill is somewhat underdeveloped.

Good for you, but I will have to not use it. Actually it will take me so long to get there it will not matter. As you can see I am at level11 and still don't even have the basic ship defense as I have other priorities.

Bathtub-Pirate: Truedat. At level 11 I am still a 2 stroke kill and have to be very careful about when to fight. Often discretion is the better part of valor. By level 16 when the Golden Cuirass becomes available things should start to even out.

I am definitively curious how it plays out in the iron man direct sail experience. The thing with all the perks is - they give you such a profound advantage. Take alone the navigation related perks. If you or one of your officers have all of those, any opponent is easily outmaneuvered. Also the cannon perks make life easy on the seas. Just outmaneuver your opponent, so that you keep him in your magically enhanced range and then grind him into submission.

What exactly is the golden cuirass? I have played quite a bit and never stumbled upon it. Only the cheap one and the battle cuirass.

Take the battle cuirass, give it a gold color and much better stats and you have the Golden Cuirass. It becomes available at level 15 but it usually does not start to appear until level 16.

Also, have you been to the opium den yet?

Why shoot the crazy Brits on me? I have peace with that and then this ..
Wha? I have NO clue why that is happening. :shock

Another thing:When I leave the world map is my ship somewhere at sea and never in the right place
I've seen that occasionally, but definitely not all the time.
Do you have a bug-magnet in your computer? o_O

It works but I can not replace the keys. I have been playing for years with the arrow keys instead of W, A, S, D.
Now you can show only A and D with arrow keys
You could try setting it in PROGRAM\CONTROLS\DefaultControls.h instead, then reset controls to default.
Still odd though.

Uh, no super ship defense? This is from the game I am playing today.
Looks like you've got ALL those sea abilities again that were supposed to be disabled. You do have the latest version? WITH that REALISTIC_ABILITIES set to 1? Because that shouldn't be happening.

Atm, you have to be reach level 80 to be able to complete the perks/abilities.
Good! Makes it more important to choose carefully and use your officers as required.

Indeed you're right; the REALISTIC_ABILITIES toggle doesn't work.
In PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks\perks.c find:
Code:
if(REALISTIC_ABILITIES==GetAttributeValue(arCur)) { return false; }
Replace with:
Code:
if(REALISTIC_ABILITIES==sti(GetAttributeValue(arCur))) { return false; }
That should fix it. I don't think a new game is required.

I have made a screenshot of the ability selection of my first officer. Is it supposed to look like that? Methinks there are abilities showing up that have no place being there (I play the restricted abilities).
Screenie - restricted abilities.jpg

When I wear the Battle Cuirass he looks the same as the cheap Cuirass!? Should this be so?
They are actually different, but only on the front. However, it does look like I put in the wrong texture files. So they'll be proper different with the next update.

@DavyJack: I have no onboard Graphics and i made a fresh installation of POTC. There are no old saves. But i try it anyway Today and report if it works
If you can post the .log files from your main game folder, that would allow us to check what is wrong and hopefully tell you what needs to be done.

I have made a screenshot of the ability selection of my first officer. Is it supposed to look like that? Methinks there are abilities showing up that have no place being there (I play the restricted abilities).
No, they're NOT supposed to be showing up. Did you install this fix?
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/page-90#post-470490
If not, that might be the reason. I'll post another update today that should set this back to normal.

Encountered three more issues.

1) Inactive AI ships.
When I sailed around Petit Tabac, there were several AI controlled ships, which did absoloutely nothing. They wouldn't even respond when a ship of a rival nation came by and fired at them.

2) Hire non-stop
When I hired crewmembers in the Sao Jorge tavern. I could hire as many as I needed, even though in the window it said , there would only be 80 guys available. I needed 101. But the window per default went to hire as many guys until my ship is full. I pressed the button and voila: My ship is full and there are -21 men left to hire in Sao Jorge. I think you guys forgot to cut the auto fill-in (hiring as many as possible) short, when there are not enough men available.

3) Double bling-bling
When killing the Indians (those, who always have an artefact on them), one will always get two artefacts, when auto-loot is on. One artefact via auto-loot and another one, that is picked uo additionally thereafter. I don't think this is intended.

Edit: @Pieter - Yeah, I already copied that into the perks settings. But still the skills show up.

Last edited:
Indeed you're right; the REALISTIC_ABILITIES toggle doesn't work.
In PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks\perks.c find:
Code:
if(REALISTIC_ABILITIES==GetAttributeValue(arCur)) { return false; }
Replace with:
Code:
if(REALISTIC_ABILITIES==sti(GetAttributeValue(arCur))) { return false; }
That should fix it. I don't think a new game is required.

I don't think this is gonna work.
cause the value of arCur is "true" or "false". and I dunno for sure if the sti coverts that to 1 and 0. if so it's good.

Bathtub pirate could you provide me your savegame so I can see whats going on there?

btw my guess why it happens is that for the perk ShipSpeedUp NK used "shipspeedup" in his files which probally made a new perk (so actually in his files it also doesn't work) and thats what is showing now. In that past this didn't show because the perks where shown differently I guess.
I don't know for sure but this is my guess for now.

This is also the case for shipturnrateup

@Bathtub-pirate: Really!?! That isn't even funny anymore. And I have zero time left to try and do anything about it anymore. :(

I don't think this is gonna work.
cause the value of arCur is "true" or "false". and I dunno for sure if the sti coverts that to 1 and 0. if so it's good.
I tested it and it does appear to work. In PotC code, true and false are simple integers anyway as defined here in PROGRAM\globals.c:
Code:
#define false       0
#define true       1

Back