• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find those new charactes in FreePlay?

I highly doubt it.

I tested out myself. You should be able to see them as "Named" Type
Dervia's skin can be found in Spanish Tailors and Avergorex's in English Tailors.

Now I see. Sorry! I am an old Pirate, too much Rum I think.:pirate07:

No worries Sir.

I still have some ideas for new characters (This time less horror-like I promise!) I'll post them on a different thread or existing one.

There are still new swords I would like to make and put them on a map for example. Black sword (a Falchion model) in San Jorge's Grotta.

For now, I'll use the swords from stock PoTc, since I don't know how to create new ones :-|

I'll put the black sword Icon and model here
Black Sword.png

Zrzut ekranu (425).png

Thank you so much for all your work for the last years. This game feels so unique in its concept so I always come back to play some hours.

I wonder if you have a roadmap or vision how this mod will evolve in the future? Is it only about fixes or do you plan some kind of milestone in future? Build 15 for example?

Would be nice to get some information.

Ahoy!

There is no roadmap or fixed idea of how the mod will evolve because additions happen when someone finds something which takes their interest, plus the time to do it. For this reason, Build 14 has been evolving gradually over the years and shows no sign of stopping. And that means it's difficult to say "This is where Build 14 finishes and Build 15 starts".

Bug fixes happen if someone reports a bug and someone else can figure out how to fix it. Other additions, including but not limited to new character models and new quests, can be added whenever someone has an idea and then implements it. Who knows what the next fix or addition will be? I certainly don't!

eng_officiant_dialog.c:
Code:
           dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[12]; //PW was 10
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[13]; //PW was 11
           link.l1.go = "without_money_3"; // PW case 2 skipped
       break;

/*case "without_money_2":
           //dialog.snd = "Voice\ENOF\ENOF008";
           dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[12];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[13];
           link.l1.go = "without_money_3";
       break;
       */
Vs:
Code:
           dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[10];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[11];
           link.l1.go = "without_money_2";
       break;

case "without_money_2":
           dialog.snd = "Voice\ENOF\ENOF008";
           dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[12];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[13];
           link.l1.go = "without_money_3";
       break;
?

This is the dialog for when you have been drinking, passed out, and are woken by the officiant who tells you that you have been mugged. The dialog starts at case "without_money".

Officiant: "Are you awake?"
Player: "Ohhh..."
Officiant: "Are you all right? How's your head?"
Player: "What the hell happened?"
Officiant: "Don't you remember? You drank too much - fell asleep at the table - and then you were robbed!"
Player: "What? Oh... my head.... Who dared...?"
Officiant: "How should I know? It's a rough neighbourhood! They came in, threatened me, went through your pockets, and left."
Player: "All right. What's lost is lost. At least they didn't find my moneybelt."

I'm not sure why @pedrwyth skipped the first two lines, but when I was playing the various drinking scenarios to test my overhaul, it seemed to me that something was missing in this one. After looking at "eng_officiant_dialog.c" and finding out that there was literally something missing, I put it back. ;)

I'm not sure why @pedrwyth skipped the first two lines, but when I was playing the various drinking scenarios to test my overhaul, it seemed to me that something was missing in this one. After looking at "eng_officiant_dialog.c" and finding out that there was literally something missing, I put it back. ;)
Good question...
Quick check says it was changed like that already in the Saturday 2 April 2016 version.

Next up:
@Grey Roger, could you have a look at the stuff in http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/temp/old_files.7z
and confirm which of those are completely outdated because they're already in the main mod by now?
It would have been nice if each of the archive files had been organised into "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" plus their sub-folders; it would have made WinMerging a lot easier. ;) However...

"Apothecary quest": included but obsolete, almost all the files having been further updated.
"Barbossa_tour": not included, it was purely for the contest. I have it on good authority that the creator of this mod has not given permission for it to be added generally to PoTC:NH. xD
"Coastbrothers": included, now part of "Woodes Rogers". Neither "console.c" nor the "SAVE" file are included, those being purely for the contest so you could see the Coast Brothers' dance routine quickly.
"Fldutch": not included as we can reasonably assume that we won't get permission from the creator of that version of the Flying Dutchman to include it in PoTC:NH!
"kam_shipberthing_ship.c": included
"KOPCAP2-20210726T123309Z-001": not included, I don't know what it is. (It may be a Russian upload which you provided a while back; I copied a lot of the Russian text translations as they were better than what we already had, though they'll be seriously out of date as they were based on a long obsolete version of PoTC:NH.) The last time I included a newer "MODULES" file from a Russian source, it broke the sea graphics - have a look at the thread Fixed - Graphical Bug - Plain White Waters
"Plants": included but obsolete, almost all the files having been further updated
"Silent Mary": not included because its creator didn't want the unfinished model created, and it didn't work properly. Have a look at the thread Discussion - Silent Mary POTC SALAZAR SHIP MOD idea for the full discussion.
"YoHo2": included and incorporated, you'll now hear the song half the time when you enter a pirate tavern.

Reactions: fjx
Thanks very much! :bow

It would have been nice if each of the archive files had been organised into "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" plus their sub-folders; it would have made WinMerging a lot easier. ;)
Yes, it would. I didn't make them though.
Downloaded them; then just left them gathering dust for far too long.

"Barbossa_tour": not included, it was purely for the contest. I have it on good authority that the creator of this mod has not given permission for it to be added generally to PoTC:NH. xD
Any particular reason for the lack of permission?
I've been under a rock for all eternity and never even tried it.
I think I should...

"Fldutch": not included as we can reasonably assume that we won't get permission from the creator of that version of the Flying Dutchman to include it in PoTC:NH!
Oh; is that @Layder's version?

"KOPCAP2-20210726T123309Z-001": not included, I don't know what it is.
Right now, I don't quite remember either...
Something @Artess999 gave me, I think.

It may be a Russian upload which you provided a while back; I copied a lot of the Russian text translations as they were better than what we already had, though they'll be seriously out of date as they were based on a long obsolete version of PoTC:NH.
So you're saying you indeed got round to implementing whatever you could from these files?
Need Help - Updating the Russian Translation
In other words: WE did whatever we could on the translation side for now again?

"Silent Mary": not included because its creator didn't want the unfinished model created, and it didn't work properly. Have a look at the thread Discussion - Silent Mary POTC SALAZAR SHIP MOD idea for the full discussion.
I do have some memory of that.
Still, I'd like to try getting it in there.
Maybe with @Artess999's Blender import/export plugins now supporting ships too, some of the issues might be improved.

Great job everyone. Maelstrom version will be updated as well I presume?
Yes indeed.
@Mirsaneli and friends are already on the case. :cheers

Thank you so much for all your work for the last years. This game feels so unique in its concept so I always come back to play some hours.
Thank you for your kind words!
I have "immortalized" them here: :woot
Discussion - Compliments for PiratesAhoy!

I wonder if you have a roadmap or vision how this mod will evolve in the future? Is it only about fixes or do you plan some kind of milestone in future? Build 15 for example?
For the current situation, @Grey Roger has already answered.
But it's definitely worth changing that current situation.

For starters, @Mirsaneli, @ChezJfrey and others are updating the mod to the Maelstrom version of the engine.
And @Hammie has been working on compatibility with the Open Source version of the Storm engine instead.

What would you yourself be interested in seeing?

Yes indeed.
@Mirsaneli and friends are already on the case. :cheers

Thanks to @Strannik and his efforts, we have ported the COAS model animations and combat system to New Horizons. We have fixed quite a lot of bugs in the past 2 weeks. So yes, we are going to improve the mod constantly. However, for now we won't be updating it past 28th September update, cause usually after replacing the old files with new ones, something gets broken in New Horizons Maelstrom.

Reactions: fjx
However, for now we won't be updating it past 28th September update, cause usually after replacing the old files with new ones, something gets broken in New Horizons Maelstrom.
I am hoping to release a Build 14 FINAL properly officially and externally by the end of the year.
Please consider adapting that one to Maelstrom as well.

Then once that is done, my thinking would be to declare our next project Build 15 (possibly with a new name altogether, because "New Horizons" was the one for 14).
This would be a good time to drop support for the old Storm 2 version altogether; and, for example, make Maelstrom the official main branch for future developments.

I am hoping to release a Build 14 FINAL properly officially and externally by the end of the year.

Then once that is done, my thinking would be to declare our next project Build 15 (possibly with a new name altogether, because "New Horizons" was the one for 14).
This would be a good time to drop support for the old Storm 2 version altogether; and, for example, make Maelstrom the official main branch for future developments.

Well, that would make me very happy, cause I have seen so far that Maelstrom can support almost anything that old engine had.

Well, that would make me very happy, cause I have seen so far that Maelstrom can support almost anything that old engine had.
"Almost" means there's still some things missing...
Do you have a clear idea what those might be?
Are those things @ChezJfrey and others might still be able to address?

"Almost" means there's still some things missing...
Do you have a clear idea what those might be?
Are those things @ChezJfrey and others might still be able to address?

It acts strange in some situations. For example, it doesn't display island icons in the upper corner when you approach an island in the world map. It also doesn't display the feather and quest log message icons even though we did not touch anything in the code. Those are all small details that can be fixed I'm sure. On the other hand, the advanced combat systems opens a variety of tweaks that we can make now to improve combat even better.

Thanks to @Strannik and his efforts, we have ported the COAS model animations and combat system to New Horizons. We have fixed quite a lot of bugs in the past 2 weeks. So yes, we are going to improve the mod constantly. However, for now we won't be updating it past 28th September update, cause usually after replacing the old files with new ones, something gets broken in New Horizons Maelstrom.

Actually now that we have version control porting updates is not difficult, so just ping me @Pieter Boelen .

We have ironed out a lot of kinks and the mod is running great. I'm right now working on updating direct sail so that it's less finicky and works on open sea. Then I'm considering adding the nearby islands so that they act as reference points during direct sail as in COAS

I think the name New Horizons is quite recognizable. It's a very good brand and it's beautiful. I would suggest not to change it.

With version control we have a lot of flexibility. It does make sense to stop development in Storm 2. However, if people are interested we can keep the parallel development in Storm 2.8 and Maelstrom.

I think the name New Horizons is quite recognizable. It's a very good brand and it's beautiful. I would suggest not to change it.

With version control we have a lot of flexibility. It does make sense to stop development in Storm 2. However, if people are interested we can keep the parallel development in Storm 2.8 and Maelstrom.

I also wouldn't change the New Horizons name. People are used to this name. And I agree what Strannik said, it's running very stable on Maelstrom. We went quite a looong way to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back