• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't find Ronald Blacklock (Tales of a Sea Hawk - Deliver a Prisoner to the Governor)

weltall

Landlubber
The officer that is supposed to be sitting there inside the prison is just no there. Instead there is another guy sitting there.

xvkH6wb.jpg

Is there anything I can do to fix this or skip the story mission to not start over?

Which modpack version is that? Since he is a soldier, possibly he's had a random name applied to him.
What happens when you talk to him? What dialog does he show?

I am using 4 b14 beta3 wip17 fix2. It is a fresh install since I just started playing POTC again. All I can say I did "wrong" was that I did not delete the options file because I presumed that since it was a fresh install it was not needed. At any rate, here is the dialog.

EYUe8Da.jpg

(It is just random soldier dialog every time)

PORTUGAL??? :shock
That's the Bridgetown prison commander, right? I'll put that on the To-Do list to "un-soldier" him.

XD I laughed so hard at your reactions. Well since this seems to be a bug, I want to report another bug that I located, although it is minor and I am not sure if it is intended. In Oranjestad of Aruba inside the tavern there is a door that leads back into the tavern for some reason.

The magic door that leads in the same room XD
n2F6sLu.jpg

When you enter it you appear here after

qDjp1as.jpg

You end up stuck inside the table not able to walk away.

A question that does not have to do with bugs, probably. I have accidentally hoisted the pirate flag in a naval battle and ever since everyone is stuck at -60 and I do not seem able to do something to raise my reputation back up. Is this meant to happen. This is actually the first time I ever used that command ^^;;;

I've made another note on that tavern; will look at it all once I've got the Beta 3 installation process ironed out.

As for that pirate flag, you mean the NATION RELATIONS are all at -60?
Have you tried hoisting another flag through the Nations Relations menu yet? Just click the selection box next to the flag you want.

Yes of course. Since I am following the storyline, the first thing I did was to switch flags as soon as I could though the menu.

These were my relationship points with the nations
rSLjsLh.jpg

Then in a naval battle between England and Spain (and me) I accidentally hoisted a flag, and this happened
JOdqY5h.jpg

I can't reproduce it though. Now when I do it this happens
cNOBgPE.jpg

Aw well. Since I have the previous save I will just roll back a bit :D It is kind of amusing though that raising the Jolly Roger is actually lowering the hostility of the nations towards me XD

Strange. I've made another note to double-check what that code is doing.

I do believe that happens when you raise the pirate flag at the wrong time. I never touch that thing for that reason, and if I accidentally do, immediately reload from the last save.

Beats me why there should be an "at the wrong time" about it.
Also... why is there a Battle Interface icon for it AND the ability to do it through F2>Nation Relations?
Even more fun is the part where both versions DON'T do the same thing! :facepalm

To get through this, open PROGRAM\console.c and find:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
   ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
   if (!bSeaActive) ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
   ref ch;
   int i;
   int limit;
Below this, add:
Code:
characters[GetCharacterIndex("Greenford Prison Commendant")].name    = TranslateString("","Ronald");
characters[GetCharacterIndex("Greenford Prison Commendant")].lastname    = TranslateString("","Blacklock");
characters[GetCharacterIndex("Greenford Prison Commendant")].Dialog.Filename = "Greenford Commander_dialog.c";
Save the file, load your savegame and press F12. This should turn him back to normal.

========================================

Additional Information:

Well THAT was a fun problem. From what I gather, all sorts of weird stuff was happening:
1. Stock game towns are being "re-captured" for their original nation at some point during the storyline
2. Any soldier will get the new soldier dialog, even if they had a different dialog originally defined
3. Soldier names are randomized even if they DID already have a name defined

So I made the following changes:
1. Town capture code ONLY executes if the new nation is DIFFERENT from the old nation
2. Soldier dialog replacement ONLY executes if the old dialog is the NORMAL soldier dialog, NOT if it is a different one
3. ONLY randomize characters names that did NOT already have a name set

That should help to prevent similar issues in the future. :doff

Ohh. I was seeing the reports of lots of islands being captured but did not think anything of it.

Ohh. I was seeing the reports of lots of islands being captured but did not think anything of it.
Yep, I believe that was related too. You shouldn't see those anymore once I post my fix.
Shouldn't be happening much in regular gameplay, but it seems a Reinit likes showing those messages when they really make very little sense. o_O

XD I laughed so hard at your reactions. Well since this seems to be a bug, I want to report another bug that I located, although it is minor and I am not sure if it is intended. In Oranjestad of Aruba inside the tavern there is a door that leads back into the tavern for some reason.
Also confirmed. Looks like someone added that on purpose, but I haven't the foggiest WHY, so it is being removed as per right now! :whipa

Thanks a lot for the help XD So this is why he wanted to go to Portugal XD I will use your fix as soon as possible. Thanks a lot Pieter!

The Portugal thing I suspect was due to a missing nation attribute. That does weird things. :shrug

I have not yet reached the point of the prisoner yet because I rolled back to fix the problem with all nations hating me. For now I have fell upon something else. The assassin's mission is giving a a problem.

http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/hard-labors-of-an-assassin/

As soon as I reach the part where I am given the mission to go to Barbados to assassinate Geffrey Bampfylde, the quest gets updated and as soon as I leave the room or I try to check the menu for information and back to the game, the logbooks gets updated again and it says that my time is up and the quest fails.

Wow, that's a bit excessively quick. I've made another note on the To-Do List.

Anyway, I have indeed been able to replicate your "get stuck as pirate" problem and am actually in the middle of rewriting all relevant flag-hoisting code.
Will post here once I'm done.

Yep, I do believe I've got it on that Flag Hoisting. Changes made:
- Hoisting through Nations Relations or Quick-Command Menu uses the same, simplified code now
- If you hoist a PIRATE flag, you get the sound and on-screen log message in BOTH cases
- You are no longer marked as a traitor whenever you hoist a pirate flag, but if you hoist ANY hostile flag CLOSE to other ships (WILL NEED TO BE TESTED!)
- Cannot use the Quick-Command Menu icon if you already ARE flying a pirate flag
- ONLY difference between the two methods: If you use the Quick-Command Menu, you will hoist your original flag again later on
If you use Nations Relations, you will keep your pirate flag until you hoist another

Does that sound about right?

That sounds awesome :D After the last update I will not worry about the flag again. Also I wanted to really thank you for the fix. Finally I am able to continue on with the story. Thanks a lot as always.

Glad to hear it worked. :doff

Well, those flag changes of mine still need testing. But it should be less confuzzled up than before.

Back