• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Capture Colonies: Issues with Newly Replaced Towns

1. That particular feature was added many years before the actual Capture Colonies mod.

2. Looks like doing that just sets you to WAR:
Code:
// KK -->
       if (ENABLE_FLAGS == 0) {
         SetRMRelation(pchar, sti(commander.nation), REL_WAR);
       } else {
         SetActualRMRelation(sti(commander.nation), REL_WAR);
         LooseLetterOfMarque(sti(commander.nation));
       }
// <-- KK
But if your relation was already lower than that, I can imagine that would indeed make it improve.
Obviously isn't correct.

Theoretically, yes. Easily? I don't think so. Would require a fair bit of figuring out and I seem to be the only person who may be able to do that.
I really don't have much of a mind for modding lately and when I do get to it,
I want to fix some bugs and hopefully reintroduce some features that were previously removed.

Well, here's another few related bugs in continuation:

1) The envoy colony capture did not work properly when I tried to give Goudeloupe to the Portuguese in the 1813 storyline - the colony was marked as Portuguese instead of French (that is the dialogue with the envoy went well), but there were no relations points added (POR v. FRA war, the player had letter of marque from Portugal), and the governor didn't actually change, that is a French governor was ruling a Portuguese city! I'm not sure if the same thing would happen to other colonies, but if the whole envoy thing is bugged, maybe it's better just to remove it?

2) I reported on Tortuga capture bug some time ago. It was agreed on that this was probably related to the improved cities and the thing was fixed. Yet here I am in the 1779 storyline, storming Santo Domingo, entering the city, just to find myself in the middle of the ocean, with a Spanish soldier glued inside me!?

About 2) can you upload the error log file? That's really weird because i made the locators for the town capture.

2 Bartolomeu: Oops, sorry, indeed that was not SD, but Santiago, I always confuse these two:) Maybe that'll answer your question. Still, you say that they all should work fine. I'm already far ahead, but if you do need the error log, I can return to that place and upload it. The problem is, the game gets stuck and you can't move ahaid. Here's a screenie BTW.

Attachments

• seadogs2_0022.jpg
    seadogs2_0022.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 170
Now for some more bugs on the governors of the captured colonies:

Attachments

• seadogs2_0008.jpg
    seadogs2_0008.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 161
  • seadogs2_0011.jpg
    seadogs2_0011.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 209
2 Bartolomeu: Oops, sorry, indeed that was not SD, but Santiago, I always confuse these two:) Maybe that'll answer your question. Still, you say that they all should work fine. I'm already far ahead, but if you do need the error log, I can return to that place and upload it. The problem is, the game gets stuck and you can't move ahaid. Here's a screenie BTW.
I checked, the locator file for the town capture is there and the InitTowns.c is correct. Any idea, Pieter?o_O

We would need the log files.

The envoy capture and the sea attack capture are two completely separate features that were added many years apart.
Do we need the shores version? If not, removing that would be the easiest solution.

I checked, the locator file for the town capture is there and the InitTowns.c is correct. Any idea, Pieter?o_O

We would need the log files.

Right, I've done some more testing and things definitely don't look good. Indeed all replaced towns seem to have the problem with capturing. After reporting on Santiago, I attach the files related to identical problem with Santo Domingo. Also, Tortuga, which, in fact, has not been fixed, (though I thought it was addressed in the last update) and still results in black screen on entering the city after the fort.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    331.4 KB · Views: 155
Do we need the shores version? If not, removing that would be the easiest solution.

Well, IMHO the feature is really nice for two simple reasons: first it's quite a difficult thing to run into the envoy and an even more difficult thing to persuade him to surrender the colony. In other words, even maxed leadership and luck can bring you success in 1 out of some 7-8 cases, while finding an envoy and not some ensign or clerk takes about 1 of 12-15, I believe. Thus the possibility is very low even for well-developped characters and does not create an inbalance in the colonies capturing process. Secondly, the very way of capturing a colony not by crude force, but by the player's will of making negotiations and luck roll is a truely nice asset to a game which mostly relies on your melee skills and the size of your ship.

Right, I've done some more testing and things definitely don't look good. Indeed all replaced towns seem to have the problem with capturing. After reporting on Santiago, I attach the files related to identical problem with Santo Domingo. Also, Tortuga, which, in fact, has not been fixed, (though I thought it was addressed in the last update) and still results in black screen on entering the city after the fort.
Looks like Tortuga indeed was not yet fixed properly.

But what happens in Santo Domingo? That is definitely a different issue and the log files aren't giving me a clue.
Can you tell me exactly what happens there?

Still would like a Savegame where a town has been captured for yourself and there are lots of Nathaniel Hawks either in a tavern or a shore Fort.
That would look pretty bad if it happens to players and had better be fixed.

Could someone give a summary of what the problem is and whats already done?

Let's see then.....

BUG: If you give a town to another nation by convincing an envoy during a land-based fort infiltration, your relation to that nation can go UP.
Status: Your relation is set to REL_WAR every time. I just made a modification to do this only if your relation was still above that.

BUG: Tortuga cannot be captured due to missing town capture boarding locator file.
Status: File added by @Jack Rackham. Should be fixed as per the next modpack update.

BUG: Other recently replaced towns cannot be captured.

BUG: After capturing a town for yourself, soldiers in the tavern or a shore-accessible fort show as Nathaniel Hawks instead of Personal Soldiers.

WISH: Governors to get a different dialog after capturing a town for yourself.

WISH: Town capture from the shore to work the same as from sea.
Right now, these are two 100% independent features.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
AH! I see what's going wrong here. While the necessary _lb.gm files ARE present, the necessary loc and aloc locators seem to be missing!

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: Do you know if those were ever added? If not, that definitely still needs to be done.
@Jack Rackham: Looks like the same problem applies to Tortuga.

See here for details on how to do this: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/fixing-the-capture-colonies-mod.13281/

Back