• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP "Caribbean!" - Single and Multi-Player Game

As soon as I get more caffeine in my system, I am gonna shoot them an email!
I'll be interested to see what comes from that. If you do, could you mention that you represent all of PiratesAhoy! with a short note on our interest in their game, our own efforts in modding,
and our hopes that we can either assist them in their development with ideas and such and/or subsequently mod their game to have a much larger lifespan.
It might be worth mentioning the results we have with the PotC Build Mod, which despite being a 2003 game, is still making progress.
Might want to show them the Beta 2 trailer we've got. Just watched that again myself and was again impressed by how much good stuff we've got.

As a huge fan of Mount and Blade, this is exactly the kind of thing I wanna see. And even better is this possible Autumn 2012 release. Very excited!

What if... we could do some advance beta testing for them? After all, we've got a bunch of proper pirate gaming experts here, don't we? :wp

I'm interested by the multiplayer modes:onya Finally, we will have the possibility of fighting between us.:p

PotC has a slight cartooney look and I don't mind it at all.
[...]
I don't see anything obviously cartooney in those screenshots; would you mind pointing something out to me?
That's funny, because I'd say our latest updates to PotC have, if anything, helped to reduce the cartoon-y appearance.
The realistic ship models and updates to the water graphics and various textures are continually giving the game a more realistic feel.
Some older Build Mod screenshots DO look more cartoon-y, but things seem to have changed now.

I think what struck me as slightly "cartoon-y" was the very bright colours in the second screenshot, along with the flat sea and slightly odd parts of the ships.
That's just my opinion, and for all I know the ships might be accurate.

Cartoony? The old POTC stuff is cartoony, but the new stuff is pretty realistic considering the limitations of this old obsolete engine. The screenies in this M&B mod look cartoony to me except for the much better detail allowed by the modern engine.

That's great! It looks like an SP game right? Cause I have Napolionic Wars for M&B:Warband and it's an MP only game.

As someone stated earlier, the engine that M&B uses is quite moddable, with the right tools people can pump out mods like crazy.

The only critique I have is that fighting in M&B can be unforgiving and sometimes frustrating (especially if you're not too good of a player).

That's funny, because I'd say our latest updates to PotC have, if anything, helped to reduce the cartoon-y appearance.
The realistic ship models and updates to the water graphics and various textures are continually giving the game a more realistic feel.
Some older Build Mod screenshots DO look more cartoon-y, but things seem to have changed now.
True, we've been getting away from it. I was thinking mainly of the character models.

Great news.

And since I've done most of my modding for M&B (see sig) and a member of our mod team made a great, versatile and easy to use tool for handling the 3d/texture/anims resources, this indeed opens up a ton of possibilities and much potential modding excitement.

This looks excellent, my only concern is that, when Yoshiboy worked on the good looking Pirates and Fishmod, they couldn't figure out a way of creating waves with the Mount and Blade Engine, leaving the ships looking ridiculous as they bobbed up and down on a dead calm surface of water. Here's a reminder:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/pirates-fishmod/news/boarding-preivew-video

Don't get me wrong, what Yoshiboy achieved looked amazing, especially swinging between ships on ropes during boardings. Although I'm not sure how accurate this is, and whether this will be in the finished game, it does show it is possible to mod quite heavily. The day and night cycles look pretty good too from what I can tell from the video. I just hope they have sorted out the motion of the water.

Indeed that lack of waves looks just plain weird. Nothing against the achievements of the modders, but this new game had better have waves.
Can't have a sea without waves, can you? Otherwise I am reminded of a certain section in this hilarious movie:

I definitely do like the idea of those swinging ropes. Realistic? Not sure. But it's cool piratey goodness and I wants it! :razz

The xebec model looks almost identical to the one in Warband. It was fairly well done. I don't know about the rigging in the ships of the line though. (Wait.. Why are pirates using ships of the line?)

I just have to add that Yoshiboy is a moderator at the TW forums and has been on the forums since about 2005. Some of us believe that his idea may have been stolen as he approached Snowberry (WFAS Devs) about making a sea based mod. He seemed to go dark after the news of the new game (Caribbean Expansion) by Snowberry was released.

Read more here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,236557.msg5665130.html#msg5665130

Check his profile and you will see what I mean.

Really excited about this. The M&B engine will keep us going for yonks with new mods :)

I just have to add that Yoshiboy is a moderator at the TW forums and has been on the forums since about 2005. Some of us believe that his idea may have been stolen as he approached Snowberry (WFAS Devs) about making a sea based mod. He seemed to go dark after the news of the new game (Caribbean Expansion) by Snowberry was released.

Read more here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,236557.msg5665130.html#msg5665130

Check his profile and you will see what I mean.

If true, it's a damn shame. His mod looked far better than any of the screenshots we have so far.

Hey guys!

I'm part of Snowbird Games studio which is responsible for the development of this game. I'm really happy to see so many people excited about the project here. If you have any questions about Caribbean! feel free to ask to ask me :)

I'm part of Snowbird Games studio which is responsible for the development of this game. I'm really happy to see so many people excited about the project here. If you have any questions about Caribbean! feel free to ask to ask me :)
Welcome to our forum! Good to see you here. :doff

The game description sounds very promising indeed and I'm definitely very interested to see what the final result will be.
I hope we can contribute in some way to the game and/or some additional marketing by featuring it on this site and our various internet profiles.

We've been coming up with some questions here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/exclusive-q-a-with-snowbird.19014/

Back