• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP "Caribbean!" - Single and Multi-Player Game

Welcome aboard Imperium! :dance

Thanks for the links superkid, good stuff!

They have indeed been working on this longer than I thought, I should have poked around the Taleworlds forums a bit more last year. :facepalm

Does this mean it is an expansion for Mount & Blade more so than a new game?

no its really a new game, look at second page they corected it by making the official news, before that they just speculated

Oh, this one's really old :) Ships have changed a lot now and will get better closer to release.
Can't wait dor the release!
Just make sure you make the game available to as many countries as possible since any game of the M & B series is VERY hard to find.

Right, further to my earlier post, and all those worrying about the absence of waves(ah, just me then), after reading through some of the TW forums, I noticed this post from Yoshiboy regarding Pirates and Fishmod:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100066.1740.html

Here's an extract if you don't have time to read the whole thing:

"In the good news I'll give a quick run-down of some of the features we've added since the last update:

I've rewritten a whole host of the shaders and added a lot of new cool ones which includes:
  • Moving waves in the sea - for boarding and sailing.
  • A new metal shader that looks great!
  • A new plant shader that moves the branches and leaves in the wind
  • Moving reflective water with waves on the world map
  • Sails that flap in the wind
  • Caustics shader for bottom of ships

Lots of cool new items, mainly by Faradon, all which look awesome:
  • Several Muskets and Rifles
  • Several pirate swords, cutlasses and rapiers
  • Several new pistols
  • Blunderbuss
  • Peg leg

And some new features/tweaks:
  • New map icons and parties on the world map
  • Player can transition between land and sea, landing their ship anywhere near the shore and getting back on
  • Player can keep ships he boards and manager a fleet of up to five ships"

Again, I know this isn't the project that is being released by Snowbird, but it does show all these things are possible with the Mount and Blade Engine :onya

I've rewritten a whole host of the shaders and added a lot of new cool ones
Somehow I doubt the waves mentioned are 3D waves, because shaders are usually 2D. They're probably 2D waves moving along the surface of the water for decoration, not physical waves which affect the ship's movement. (I could be wrong though)

Somehow I doubt the waves mentioned are 3D waves, because shaders are usually 2D. They're probably 2D waves moving along the surface of the water for decoration, not physical waves which affect the ship's movement. (I could be wrong though)

As far as I am aware that is the case but I can not be sure, Yoshiboy said he would post a video to demo the changes but I'm afraid I can't find any evidence that he did, and soon after went quiet on the whole subject. Unfortunately I'm no wiser than anybody else, but I thought some people may like to know the information.

Mates, Yoshiboy's mod is dead to be honest with you. The waves he's talking about are just vertex shader effects.

I think there is some confusion in the above between:
1. The Pirates & Fish Mod for Mount & Blade by Yoshiboy (dead project, officially unrelated to this game)
2. Caribbean add-on for Mount & Blade (unreleased precursor to this game, superseded/included in this new game)
3. Caribbean! (the actual game, which is standalone but based on earlier Mount & Blade work)

Does that seem correct? In any case, it seems that the above note on wave action does not reflect on the actual game as it is about #1 above:
Right, further to my earlier post, and all those worrying about the absence of waves(ah, just me then), after reading through some of the TW forums, I noticed this post from Yoshiboy regarding Pirates and Fishmod:
[...]Again, I know this isn't the project that is being released by Snowbird, but it does show all these things are possible with the Mount and Blade Engine :onya
Just to prevent confusion...

That would indeed be the game mate, nice find! :onya

Hah. exactly the same animations as M&B. Seabattles look much like PotC's arcade mode though in terms of speed and maveuvrability.

Just to prevent confusion...

Sorry Pieter, I didn't mean to create any confusion, I was just trying to establish if the Mount and Blade Engine could create waves.

The video does look ridiculously good though.

Nice find indeed! Some comments:

. Does anyone know Russian? What is he saying?
. Sea battles look more arcadey than PotC Arcade Mode to my eyes; ship handling is very racecar-like. I hope there will be a Realistic setting too.
. What are those circley things around the ships? Wind direction arrows? If so: good on having wind direction, bad for making screenshots/videos.
. No waves to be seen anywhere; I sincerely hope they'll be adding that as a sea without waves isn't much of a sea. More like a pond.
. Looks like the same boarding deck as seen on the earlier screenshots? Are those the exact ships seen in the battle before?
. Travel and fighting from horseback is cool.

There's definitely potential there, but there are a few things that need adding for certain, most notably on the realism aspects.
Provided that they're not already there as part of an Arcade/Realistic game mode setting, of course.

im sure this game will be exactly "M&B like" withh all the good points:
- awesome battle/fight (foot/horse) mechanic as always
- awesome rpg/action style with a real awesome open world as always
- lot of easy modding work and MUCH potential as always

but it will hold the bad points too:
- not enough details (especially nature and really little details)
- no real storyline, just an open world with lot of "random" quests and events by default
- it will still be much arcade but modding is REALLY easy and HUGE (even more than NH for potc ! m&b engine is really crazy ! :) )

the REALLY worst point is that m&b by default is really bad coded, never optimized, it works but eat huge pc performance for too few things, i just wonder they will make that better (anyway mods fix much that)

if you look at m&b: warband and compare to mod (sigle ane multiplayer) its really crazy, same with original m&b

anyway im sure it will be really awesome but it will REALLY take a great amount of time to have a complete story or diversity or especially "sea fight realism" as POTC NH, but mods will start with an awesome base :)

Unless they overhauled the M&B Engine don't expect ship battles to have the simulation potential of POTC.

Back