• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

High Priority Change way shared XP works

@Grey Roger: On the 6 Feb 2016 version, please extract the attached file to your PROGRAM\Characters folder.

As far as I can tell, that should be all that changed regarding the whole "Shared XP" business.
So I'll be curious to know if this makes any difference for you.

Attachments

• Leveling.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 234
@Grey Roger: On the 6 Feb 2016 version, please extract the attached file to your PROGRAM\Characters folder.

As far as I can tell, that should be all that changed regarding the whole "Shared XP" business.
So I'll be curious to know if this makes any difference for you.
@Grey Roger, please try the above and let me know how that works for you.

It is extremely important for me to get Levelling at least to a playable state, even if it isn't quite perfect just yet.
(With the absolute least possible effort on my part!)

Is that built into the 14th February version, or do I need to install that version of "Leveling.c" separately? The 14th February update contains a version dated 13th February, 18:23, while the zip file above contains one dated 13th February, 18:06 - which one should I try?

Is that built into the 14th February version, or do I need to install that version of "Leveling.c" separately? The 14th February update contains a version dated 13th February, 18:23, while the zip file above contains one dated 13th February, 18:06 - which one should I try?
It isn't included in any of my "official" releases (because I have NO clue what effect it will have), but should be compatible with the latest one I think.

So please install it manually and see what happens.

I'm at level 22 in the 14 Feb version and the officers are leveling up nicely. I can't quite tell if they are leveling up slightly faster than I am or not. It's that close and better than it has been.

I'm at level 22 in the 14 Feb version and the officers are leveling up nicely. I can't quite tell if they are leveling up slightly faster than I am or not. It's that close and better than it has been.
So GOOD news then? Nice! :woot

At level 25 it is confirmed. They are leveling up faster than I am as there are three of us at level 25 now. They were leveling up nicely until I started giving them the share XP perk and now they are slightly faster than I am, except for the one that stays on the ship. He gains almost nothing.

It isn't included in any of my "official" releases (because I have NO clue what effect it will have), but should be compatible with the latest one I think.

So please install it manually and see what happens.
I played through my "Ardent" storyline. At the start, I'm level 1 and officers are levels 4 and 6. At the end, I'm level 9 and officers are still at their starting levels. This is with the version of "Leveling.c" from post 7 of this thread. XP come from a combination of fighting (especially in the capture of the payroll ship and around the temple on Hispaniola), sailing and the occasional handout from the storyline code as a reward for completing a quest.

I played through my "Ardent" storyline. At the start, I'm level 1 and officers are levels 4 and 6. At the end, I'm level 9 and officers are still at their starting levels. This is with the version of "Leveling.c" from post 7 of this thread. XP come from a combination of fighting (especially in the capture of the payroll ship and around the temple on Hispaniola), sailing and the occasional handout from the storyline code as a reward for completing a quest.
Sounds like that doesn't match with @Hylie Pistof's experiences at all.

What difficulty levels are you both playing at? Could that be the cause of the difference?

The "Leveling.c" from post #7 above reverts that functionality to 18 Jan state, which I understood from you was better than the most recent release?
But Hylie is using the 14 Feb version, which is the very latest one.

So could it be that the latest one IS better than the 18 Jan version?
I'm getting confused here. o_O

I'm playing at "Seadog" difficulty". Current set-up is 14th February installer, then 18th February zip update, then your version of "Leveling.c".

To be honest, all I remember about the 18th January version is that I hadn't noticed that levelling was broken. Whether that's because levelling was in fact not broken at that time or because I was too fixated on working on "Ardent" and didn't notice that officers weren't levelling, I'm not 100% sure.

To be honest, all I remember about the 18th January version is that I hadn't noticed that levelling was broken. Whether that's because levelling was in fact not broken at that time or because I was too fixated on working on "Ardent" and didn't notice that officers weren't levelling, I'm not 100% sure.
You could try the most recent version of "Levelling.c" again then. As far as I remember, any sort of Shared XP wasn't working right AT ALL before.
At least now it sort-of does, even if it is probably not quite perfect just yet.

@ANSEL, @Jason, @HellSailor and @anyone else: What can you tell me about the Levelling of officers compared to the player character?
Do officers gain XP like you'd expect? Are they faster or slower compared to the player? Does anything seem incorrect in the balancing of it?

Mentioned before, my experiment of Direct Sailing in the Open Sea Mod and the fast increase in levels to my char and officers, here is those test case results. This was in version 3.1 but using the exact same code that is used currently in Beta 4:

Sailing from Speightstown to Jamaica, just using 3D direct sail mode:

Nathanial Hawk: on arrival at Jamaica lvl 12 (was 3). Sailing skill on arrival = 9 (was 2)

Navigator: on arrival at Jamaica lvl 9 (was 2). Sailing skill on arrival = 8 (was 3)

First mate: on arrival at Jamaica lvl 9 (was 2). Sailing skill on arrival = 7 (was 2)

Gunner: on arrival at Jamaica lvl 9 (was 2). Sailing skill on arrival = 6 (was 1)

Total time (in game) was 9 days to make the journey. About 6 hours in real time. That speed of XP gain is too quick, this was just one trip, one way, at game start!

So below is the changed code from PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\LogInterface.c:

Code:
// LDH get experience for manual sailing - 21Dec08
//BB Edits in this section are to make all modes (AutoSkill/non AutoSkill & various realism settings) function the same for Direct Sailing Exp gain and reduce it.
	int Exp = 0;
	if (AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM)
	{
		if(iRealismMode>1 || OPEN_SEA_MOD){
			if (CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) Exp = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) * 35; // was 35 stljeffbb Jan 15 2012//BB was *0.8
		}else{
			if (CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) Exp = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) * 35;
		}
		AddPartyExpChar(mchr, "Sailing", Exp * 0.05); //BB added * 0.05
	}
	else
	{
		if(iRealismMode>1 || OPEN_SEA_MOD){
			if (CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) Exp = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) * 35; // was 35 stljeffbb Jan 15 2012//BB was *0.8
			AddPartyExp(mchr, Exp * 0.1); //BB changed * 0.1 was 0.5
		}else{
			if (CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) Exp = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) * 35; //BB was 15
			AddPartyExp(mchr, Exp * 0.1); //BB changed * 0.1 was 0.5
		}
	}
	mchr.SailingMinutes = 0;

With those changes i get char level gains of around 2-3 for the same trip and maybe 1-2 gains to Sailing Skill, which feels much more realistic. I've changed stljeffbb changes to 0.8, just because i am not sure if that is to do with the frequency of the XP update check over the value of the XP handed out which happens below those lines? So they are reverted to the default numbers of *35. Coders will know what exactly these values are doing.

This just affects 3D Direct Sail mode and only if you have the Open Sea Mod active, so other modes might need to be looked at also perhaps? But as Direct Sail mode is my personal interest i just changed code relating to that part for a more realistic game experience in terms of levelling and XP gain, do with it as you prefer :yes

Confirmed, sailing XP goes up at a silly rate. Of course, ever since officers were restricted to only gaining XP in their own job-related skills and can't share your XP gain if you don't have "Shared Experience", they won't get any of that if none of them has "Navigation" as a job-related skill, which is probably the main reason why I gain levels and my officers don't.

But I also can confirm that the Open Sea mod is not required because I never use it, yet was still gaining XP just for direct-sailing on a clear, fair sea.

It could be that the balancing of gaining Sailing XP is wrong then.

Maybe @Hylie Pistof could give some more information on that? I think he does a lot of sailing around as well.

At Swashbuckler level and the open sea mod I am not seeing any huge increase in sailing abilities. In fact they are kinda slow. At level 28 my abilities are 4-7 and I do direct sail a goodly amount.

What I have noticed is that very low level characters do level up VERY quickly at first then soon slow down.

Oh, I leveled up again and pulled ahead of my officers a bit. This is very even right now and I am content with it.

I think the skill Fencing is a bit slow to progress in my opinion. When I install a new version, I always increase a bit in Levelling.c the numbers at the bottom of the file. I usually put it at 1.75 (It was 1). I also think that progress of Fencing in the first levels (1-4) is too slow or difficult. Now I changed to Mariner as my pre-defined difficulty.

About the officers, I didn't pay too much attention on the specific details. I find it normal, except for the sailing skill, which was described by @Grey Roger and @Black Bart. These days I will look about those details and bring more feedback.

I think the skill Fencing is a bit slow to progress in my opinion. When I install a new version, I always increase a bit in Levelling.c the numbers at the bottom of the file. I usually put it at 1.75 (It was 1). I also think that progress of Fencing in the first levels (1-4) is too slow or difficult. Now I changed to Mariner as my pre-defined difficulty.
I'll put that 1.75 value for Fencing in here then:
Code:
//Get xp multiplier for different skills
float GetXPmult(string Skillname)
{
   float expMult = 1;
   switch (Skillname)
   {
     case "Leadership":   expMult =  2.5 ; break;
     case "Fencing":     expMult =  1.75; break;
     case "Sailing":     expMult =  0.8 ; break;
     case "Accuracy":   expMult =  1.25; break;