• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Dialog Camera, Quests Fix, Larger Text, Time Fix, and Other Patches

I was thinking more from a general naval business point of view. People worked harder and longer hours then than they do these days, in times of relative peace (or so I'm led to believe).
Maybe @Grey Roger can say something sensible about that?

In my personal playing experience, yes, it does; my ship often ended arriving just after night fell, missing the evening (which is short in the Caribbean), and this allowed me to still be able to stock up on supplies without having to spend the night in town.
In that case, my opinion would be "gameplay goes over realism". ;)

I have absolutely no idea what business hours were in the 17th century. For comparison, in the current mod of "Pirates of the Caribbean", pretty much everything operates 6:00 - 22:00. Stores, street traders, shipyards and most townspeople, though you sometimes see people wandering around at night. Taverns are open at all hours, though crew can only be hired during the day.

In the absence of solid information, I agree with @Pieter Boelen - do whatever works best for gameplay. It may be that businesses in the real 17th century opened 8:00 - 18:00, but if the game does that then you'll be more likely to have to spend time in the tavern until the shops open. The other extreme is that the stores are open all the time because the owners can't sleep for thinking of the money they're not making. :D

Thanks for the input, everyone.

According to US Colonial History:
Based on the amount of work performed — for example, crops raised per worker — Carr (1992) concludes that in the seventeenth-century Chesapeake region, “for at least six months of the year, an eight to ten-hour day of hard labor was necessary.” This does not account for other required tasks, which probably took about three hours per day. This workday was considerably longer than for English laborers, who at the time probably averaged closer to six hours of heavy labor each day.

And for anyone who had the misfortune of not being an equal citizen in the Caribbean, even in the 19th century:
On the sugar estates the mills were kept going 24 hours a day, with enslaved people working 18-hour shifts.

So, for the colonies, it seems about right, even in terms of realism.

Developer Note:

I'm finishing patching up the last experience disrupting bugs I could find by myself, and I'm aiming for a beta release hopefully by the end of the week for anyone who is interested in helping me playtest the mod pack.

Developer Note:

I've patched up a few key game-breaking bugs in the game, including two major bugs related to the goods delivery type quest (receiving duplicate goods, and store owners saying the wrong origin for the goods), and I've fixed the Russian language Governor's Message text(s). I've also disabled the bug-ridden (and cheat-prone) swap captain option on the Shipyard screen, as it is completely unnecessary -- this is a save-corrupting, unworthy duplicate of the "Replace Captain" option on the Ships screen. Will update the documentation later.

I've noticed that mutiny doesn't rise up when I starve my crew, even for weeks. (Not that I would do that when playing the game properly. :p) Can anyone else confirm this? I'm thinking it may be another bug, though I haven't really looked at this portion of the code yet...

I've noticed that mutiny doesn't rise up when I starve my crew, even for weeks. (Not that I would do that when playing the game properly. :p) Can anyone else confirm this? I'm thinking it may be another bug, though I haven't really looked at this portion of the code yet...
Do you still have any crew left to commit a mutiny, or did all of them already starve to death?

(This question is based on how it works in PotC:NH, but I've got no clue if this other game works similarly or not.)

It's going to take me a few days longer, guys. I've ran into a few setbacks -- nothing major, but enough to force a delay on the beta release. Rest assured, I am finishing up here, and the patches will be released public soon.

In all honesty, looking back, the game's come a long way since the day I started tweaking/fixing it...:checklist

Last edited:
Finished coding the last patch -- well... in this first and most important bunch, anyway. Just have to update the documentation (but I'm completely buggered from all the coding today...). The patches will be up for download tomorrow.

The wait is over, y'all! The beta release is out! Check the first/main post in this thread for more info and to download.

Do let me know if you run into any more bugs in-game, particularly if they are experience or game breaking -- preferably with your save file attached, so I can replicate and troubleshoot them.

Enjoy! :3

Do you still have any crew left to commit a mutiny, or did all of them already starve to death?

(This question is based on how it works in PotC:NH, but I've got no clue if this other game works similarly or not.)

See, that's the right question, because by all right they should have starved to death! No-one can stand four weeks without food and live to tell about it! Something fishy's going on here...

It turns out that the number of crew and slaves on ship does indeed decrease every day there is no food on board, so the game does make them starve to death, gradually, although the crew counter in the top left of the main user interface is not updated to reflect this.

I did some further digging into this, and it does indeed seem that the mutiny event is broken in the game, though the code surrounding this portion of the game is so complex that without guidance I am having trouble finding the cause of it.

What I've done instead is implemented a simple new function of my own that starts a mutiny by a 1 in 10 chance if crew morale is at the lowest, "treacherous", on the player's ship (which normally happens by the third day of starving, and which causes a mutiny to uprise practically every few days while morale is "treacherous").

In the process, I've noticed that the mutiny event seems to have been thrown together at the last minute, and doesn't seem as "polished" and finished as the rest of the events in the game. For instance, the location it takes place on is the battle-damaged deck of a boarded ship -- which doesn't feel quite right... (Why would the crew damage the ship?) Therefore my arrived conclusion is that it may have been intentionally disabled in the game due to not being quite complete and due to development time restraints.

If anyone's interested, I can share this quick fix as a code-snippet/patch, too.

Last edited:
For instance, the location it takes place on is the battle-damaged deck of a boarded ship -- which doesn't feel quite right... (Why would the crew damage the ship?)
Sounds similar to what we've modded into PotC.
Reason is probably that it is the default boarding deck location, which has some damage built in.
Not quite perfect, but oh well... :shrug

Sounds similar to what we've modded into PotC.
Reason is probably that it is the default boarding deck location, which has some damage built in.
Not quite perfect, but oh well... :shrug

I keep wondering whether this is something that can be changed. A lot of the location models in Caribbean Tales have mutiple states built in. For instance, the buildings have sometimes up to 5 different levels/stages -- from battle-damaged to pristine, and from small (outpost/village) to spacious (large town)... It's amazing just how much quality work went into the assets for this game compared to how little was accomplished in the end with the code.

It would be interesting to work mutiny properly back into the game. I've just been playing the first Sea Dogs, and the mutiny there is handled a lot simpler: just a fine cutscene and the end. You don't even get a chance to fight your mutinous crew for survival. Even with my quick fix script, and in this unpolished state, mutiny is a lot more interesting and interactive in Caribbean Tales. You get to fight your crew, and, if you survive with the help of your officers, get a miraculous hairline escape and chance to start again.

Last edited:
Bit off a faff having to replace files/folders for each fix individually but they're in there, aim to play some tomorrow and see how things go :)

Bit off a faff having to replace files/folders for each fix individually but they're in there
Sorry, this is the best way I can distribute the patches while still giving the user full control over what they wish to change/update. If I created a common installer, you wouldn't have a say in which patches get implemented.

I hope you find the effort worth it. :bonaparte:)

Last edited:
Back