• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

European Barque

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I spent a few hours last night tinkering with the gaff and this is the Mark 1 model.
EB-1.jpg

It has lots of issues and I will be starting over with the other model, barque2.

Looks like size is going to be an issue, then? Let me know if you can't find a suitable gaff and I'll sort one out in Maya.

Thanks for the effort; it'll be cool to really have her barque-rigged! :woot

My search last night came up with this gaff from US_Enterprise and all of the other ones I saw were either bigger and/or offset to one side. There are also texture issues.
Then barque1 has been butchered in the past so that the main GM "can not be read". :rumgone But barque2 is still useable, which will allow me to attach ropes to it and also move mast4 forward. That will make for more room.

Another thing is that it does not appear to be possible to attach two sails to a gaff. I tried that last night and the results were BAD. But maybe I did not name them properly. Finding two gaffs of the proper length, thickness, and positioning is a Quixotic quest at best.

Dunno. I'm now using barque2 and plan on hex editing it to get BQ1.

Mark 2 Mod 0. This looks like it will work with some adjustments.
EB-2.jpg

On the off-chance that it helps, please find attached the original game's Barque1.gm file.

BTW: Both barques do NOT use the same model; their stern lanterns are different.

Attachments

• barque1.zip
    121.7 KB · Views: 121
I would remove the gaff tops'l on the second one- As far as I know, they were not yet being used in that form on ships like that one.

Mark 2 Mod 0. This looks like it will work with some adjustments.

Ah, that's a good size! Do you reckon you could add some stays'ls in places to fill the gaps a bit? Say one for each mast?

I would remove the gaff tops'l on the second one- As far as I know, they were not yet being used in that form on ships like that one.

Out of interest, do you know when that sail would have become widely adopted on barque-rigged vessels?

Which do you like better? Mk 2 mod 0 or this Mk 2 mod 1?
EB-3.jpg

Stays? There will be stuff strung from mast to mast and some sort of stays could happen. This ship is now rigged similarly to the sloops and brigantine. Only the Hoy is different.

Out of interest, do you know when that sail would have become widely adopted on barque-rigged vessels?

Such sails would have appeared in the mid-18th century, but would have been used by fore-and-aft rigged vessels. It's hard to say exactly when they would have first been commonly used on barques, since they were fairly uncommon until after the War of 1812. The earliest I've seen them used on Barques is on the American whalers of the 1820's and on. It is possible that they were used on barques slightly prior to that, maybe starting in the late 1700's, but it would take some serious research to find proof.

Which do you like better? Mk 2 mod 0 or this Mk 2 mod 1?

Probably the first one; the proportions looks slightly better to me.

Such sails would have appeared in the mid-18th century, but would have been used by fore-and-aft rigged vessels. It's hard to say exactly when they would have first been commonly used on barques, since they were fairly uncommon until after the War of 1812. The earliest I've seen them used on Barques is on the American whalers of the 1820's and on. It is possible that they were used on barques slightly prior to that, maybe starting in the late 1700's, but it would take some serious research to find proof.

Interesting. So maybe if we continue to use the gaff tops'l, we should restrict the barques (only Barque1, Barque2 and BarqueHeavy) to the last two game periods (spanning 1770 - 1830).
I'm not too worried about the exact date they first used them, so using those two periods for variety's sake should be fine.

The barque is in use as a starting ship in Early Explorers. I imagine that should be changed then?

I actually removed all barques from the first period, so we should definitely change the starting ship. How about using a caravel?

Caravel? Hmm... Not overly fond of those. Unless we use Petros' skin.
Isn't that a too large starting ship though?

Caravel? Hmm... Not overly fond of those. Unless we use Petros' skin.
Isn't that a too large starting ship though?

They don't come much smaller than those in the first period, unless we use a lugger or something.
If you'd rather have a better looking caravel, why not use the Caravela Redonda (PO_CaravelR)?

And the Lugger is already used for Standard, so I'd prefer using something else. PO_CaravelR it is, then. :yes

Probably have to get rid of those reeflines in the top sail or the aft mast later on?

Back