• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Extra time compression after closing interface screens

I didn't test the slow down on "caught in irons" myself. It should work, but might have an unwanted side-effect,
namely that you can't speed up time when that happens. That might be annoying. But testing will have to tell us if this is an improvement or not.
Yup, that's probably too extreme :) I've imagined that happening only once on hourly weather change, not every time the ship goes upwind. But we'll see... Unfortunately, I'll be unable to actually test your changes until tomorrow.

Oh well, I'm remain patiently waiting in the meantime. :shrug

We'll have to see how that goes with being caught in irons. If it turns out we DO have that unwanted side-effect as I fear,
fixing it will require a fair bit of figuring out. Not sure yet how to handle that. :oops:

Well, I've played for a couple of hours and, overall, I feel like a very satisfied customer. :) Haven't tested land stuff much, as unfavorable wind and Dutch patrols kept me at sea. And at sea everything works as expected. As we thought, now you can't accelerate when turning into wind with sails set; but it's not as annoying as I thought it will be. Guess we can leave it on until better solution comes to mind.
So far I haven't noticed any bugs introduced by your refactoring (at one occasion there was a strange music looping at 10x, but as it only happened once, it's hard to tell if it's related to the changes or not).

Glad to hear it! I hope it adds to your enjoyment of the game. Those timescale issues did quite annoy me in the past. :facepalm

The clock seems to run faster in 10X time than in 30X time, or sometimes it seems to run just a little bit faster, not 3 times faster.
Sounds like time dilation. Is the game trying to be a bit too realistic? :razz

I think I've got that "slow down upon being caught in irons" working properly now.
Should now ONLY happen if the wind direction changes and you are now caught in irons.

Also, I noticed that the "slow down upon enemy draw blade" had a weird side-effect where you couldn't use time compression afterwards anymore either.
Quite similar to the "caught in irons" effect, really. Anyway, I moved the code line somewhere else and now it seems to behave much more reasonable.

Both changes included in here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/page-86#post-468003

Overall it seems to be ok, but it does make tacking back and forth while getting in and out of harbors more tedious.

But that should be addressed with the update I just posted. Are you saying it still isn't fixed? :shock

What is supposed to be fixed? Can you now tack through that dead zone using time compression? I just had to tack into a harbor but didn't think to try time compression.

What is supposed to be fixed? Can you now tack through that dead zone using time compression? I just had to tack into a harbor but didn't think to try time compression.
THAT is supposed to be fixed. You should be able to use time compression at sea now exactly as you could before.
Only when the wind changes to dead ahead of you, THEN you will slow down as per jsv's request.
But if that happens, you can now speed up after that again. So it is no longer "locked on time x1". :no

As I said before, that wasn't actually intentional, but a side-effect of how it was coded. It should be working as actually intended now.
So in other words, it should NOT be annoying anymore. ;)

I just tried to tack out of a harbor using time compression and when the ship swung into the dead zone it dropped to normal time and would not go back into fast time. :shrug And I also just installed your latest EXE.

And that was AFTER installing today's update? I know that was the case before. But not anymore.
Just to be absolutely certain, I have just tested this and it does actually do now what it is supposed to.

I just sailed from Martinique to Puerto Rico and every time it did not work for me.

EDIT: I just did a new download and install and noticed that "defence" has no capital letters in it. Has the installer been updated? I grabbed the one in the beta 3 progress thread.

Last edited:
I definitely replaced the installer. Both of them, in fact.
What date do you have in your main menu???

Back