• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Pirate Hunting Quests

Ok, that pirate quest message just popped up again while I was in a battle with some pirates. Here are two saves. One when I left port and the other a bit after the battle.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Puerto Rico. San Juan port. 20-06-1665.7z
    523.3 KB · Views: 86
  • -=Player=- Open Sea 16-08-1665.7z
    527.6 KB · Views: 93
Ok, that pirate quest message just popped up again while I was in a battle with some pirates. Here are two saves. One when I left port and the other a bit after the battle.
Unfortunately I have now modified my game version so much for Beta 2.4 that it is no longer compatible with your saves. :(
Could you please do this?
1. Open that first savegame and press F12. Let me know which messages appear on the screen.
2. Open that second savegame and do the same again.

So between the first and second savegame, the Pirate Quest problem cropped up again? And inbetween, you only did a battle? :facepalm

Theory.

I got into several battles with pirates and never got the message. Then in this last battle it popped up. What was different about this battle? One of them got away. There were three pirate ships. One was sunk early and one headed for the horizon and the third stayed and fought on. Right after that ship was sunk the message appeared. That last pirate ship was long gone.
So, could it be that if a single pirate ship gets too far away that message kicks in?

Errm ... are you getting quests to hunt more than just one pirate?
Pirate Hunting quests are ALWAYS one character only. If there are any other pirates around, they're not quest pirates.

I got into several battles with pirates and never got the message. Then in this last battle it popped up. What was different about this battle? One of them got away. There were three pirate ships. One was sunk early and one headed for the horizon and the third stayed and fought on. Right after that ship was sunk the message appeared. That last pirate ship was long gone.
So, could it be that if a single pirate ship gets too far away that message kicks in?
Were there any quest pirates involved? If not, did you recently complete or decline a pirate hunting quest?
What are the results of this query of mine?
Unfortunately I have now modified my game version so much for Beta 2.4 that it is no longer compatible with your saves. :(
Could you please do this?
1. Open that first savegame and press F12. Let me know which messages appear on the screen.
2. Open that second savegame and do the same again.
So between the first and second savegame, the Pirate Quest problem cropped up again? And inbetween, you only did a battle? :facepalm
I don't get it. At all.

Could it have something to do with this mysterious "timer" that is called when you complete the quest at the governor?
I have NO clue what that refers to and what is executed when it "expires", because there is NO reference to that in the code anywhere.

One thing I DID find is this in MAXIMUS_functions.c:
Code:
void KillPirateQuestDone()
{
    ref PChar = GetMainCharacter();

// LDH 02Feb09
    int KillQuestExperience = sti(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.money)/10;    // was 1500
    if(AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM)
    {
        AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Leadership", KillQuestExperience);
        AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Sneak", KillQuestExperience/100);
    }
    else { AddPartyExp(pchar, KillQuestExperience); }
    PlayStereoSound("INTERFACE\took_item.wav");
    AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, makeint(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.money));
    AddDialogExitQuest("kill_pirate_refused_2");
    ChangeCharacterReputation(pchar, 1);
    pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest = "wait_timer";
}
Strangely enough, that function appears not to be called anywhere. I could easily reinstate that though and at least have all that code grouped together,
instead of having many copies in each of the governors' dialogs. Not that that is going to solve it though. :modding

The Governors quests are not pirate hunting quests. You can get assignments to take out the ship of a nation that this Governor is at war with.

I did the F12 thing and got the first line. Before that last battle I did decline a quest. I just wanted to see if it worked.

The Governors quests are not pirate hunting quests. You can get assignments to take out the ship of a nation that this Governor is at war with.
They used to be pirates only and are still referred as such in the code. So I've kept calling them that, even if they technically aren't anymore. :shrug

I did the F12 thing and got the first line. Before that last battle I did decline a quest. I just wanted to see if it worked.
Could that message have started appearing again exactly three days after declining the hunting quest?
That would at least make some measure of sense. I can look into that. :yes

So... this one is still not 100% fixed, is it? Do you think that "after 3 days" theory sounds plausible?

And you do keep playing the occasional one, right? But only every now and then? Not every day/three days, right?
And you do play with DirectSail for the most part too? And you're not getting that quest message?

And you do keep playing the occasional one, right? But only every now and then? Not every day/three days, right?
And you do play with DirectSail for the most part too? And you're not getting that quest message?

I played them a lot at start of my french navy character. And yes, every 3 days. Yes, I git those messages - when I started the quest until I fulfilled it (=spoke to governor and got reward).
But I never ever got any such message without having that quests. Is it that what happens to Hylie?

But I never ever got any such message without having that quests. Is it that what happens to Hylie?
That is what I understand of it, yes. Which is why it confuses me so much; by all intents and purposes, it shouldn't be doing that.

I have fought pirates since then with no message. I guess it is time to try another Governors quest.

I took a Governors quest in Grenada to sink a French ship. It spawned in the harbor again and was easily sunk. That message appeared once during the battle. I then ran around taking care of business but did not ask the Governor for another job, then sailed to Alice Town. No messages so far.

I have not installed anything since last Tuesday or so. Is there anything new to install?

Ok, will install. New game required? I just got to level 16 in a battle with 5 pirate ships with a bit of help from the Spanish. Result: 2 sunk, 2 captured and 1 scuttled, and 1 got away. No message.

New game indeed required. You might want to wait for the next version then. I've done all sorts since anyway. ;)

After my last battle with pirates I went to Phillipsburg, Eleuthera, then Jamaica without any fights. On the way into Port Royale that message popped up again. :facepalm All I can think of is that I had a Governors quest there a while back. :nerbz

Since I am not even remotely understanding where this comes from, how about this:
I'll put together another full Beta 2.5 WIP pack over the next few days. Then we can all move over to that version.
And because then we'll be on the same base, when it happens again, you can make a savegame that I can check out to figure out what it is that is causing it.
At the moment my code base is too different for save compatibility. And me checking the issue myself is the only thing I can think of now. :facepalm

So today, after NOT dealing with any governors relating to pirate hunting quests, I noticed I got this message too.
When I did a DumpAttributes on myself, I found this:
Code:
  generate_kill_quest = begin
    money = 16050
    town = Tortuga
    destination = Hispaniola
    nation = 0
    shipname = Duke of York
Turns out I had taken a Treasure Quest at Tortuga and indeed I did run into that ship the "Duke of York". In fact, I captured her and took her for my own.

Turns out that the Treasure Quests ALSO use the Pirate Hunting quests code! From PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c:
Code:
    Group_DelCharacter("Story_Pirate", "Quest pirate");
    Group_deleteGroup("Story_Pirate");
    if(rand(Makeint(Pchar.skill.sneak))>0)
    {
        GeneratePirateQuest(NPChar); // KK
        Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Quest pirate")].nation=PIRATE;
        SetCharacterRelationBoth(GetCharacterIndex("Quest pirate"),GetMainCharacterIndex(),RELATION_ENEMY);
        Group_CreateGroup("Story_Pirate");
        Group_AddCharacter("Story_Pirate", "Quest pirate");
        Group_SetGroupCommander("Story_Pirate", "Quest pirate");
        Group_SetTaskAttack("Story_Pirate", PLAYER_GROUP);
        Group_LockTask("Story_Pirate");
        Group_SetPursuitGroup("Story_Pirate", PLAYER_GROUP);
        Group_SetAddress("Story_Pirate", destination, "", "");
        //Logit("TreasureQuest: Story_Pirate "+GetCharacterIndex("Quest pirate")+" generated");// DEBUG
    }
Does that sound like what has been plaguing you as well?

I wonder... is it even possible to complete one of those "Pirate Hunting quests" at all? We need to somehow separate them from the governors.

Back