• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Pirate Hunting Quests

So if you do one it automatically activates the other? I got the message after installing beta 2.5 and also after deleting all of my old profiles. There should be no reason for the message to show at all unless it is being held somewhere independent o games and profiles.
Would it be easier to just delete that message and let the newbies go ahead and mess up their games?

As soon as you get a Treasure Quest, it may generate a pirate at the destination island. This uses the same code as for the Pirate Hunting quests.
So:
1. You get a Treasure Quest
2. A ship is generated at the destination island through the Pirate Hunting code and DirectSail is disabled for this reason
3. Because the game now considers a Pirate Hunting quest to be active, you cannot get any governor hunting missions

The other way around, if you get a governor hunting mission FIRST, getting a Treasure Quest afterwards could remove your target ship.
So, sure, we can remove the message again. But that message is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.
Now that I've found what appears to be the root cause, I will try to figure out how to deal with the problem properly.

So I rewrote the code to use a different character ID for the enemy depending on whether it is a governor Pirate Hunting quest or a Treasure Quest.
Also, if a Treasure Quest, you will no longer get the governor code lines added to yourself. So that should eliminate any potential interference between the two.
I tested both types of pirates and they do still generate properly. We'll need to check if indeed any interference has been dealt with properly.
Uploading my full b14_beta2-5_wip2.exe now; will be posted soon.

Also, I found this code to generate enemies or not during Treasure Quests:
Code:
if(rand(Makeint(Pchar.skill.sneak))>0)
That looks like a HIGHER luck skill gives a HIGHER chance of enemies. That doesn't make much sense, does it?
Suggest replacing ">0" with "==0" so that higher luck gives less chance of enemies. :facepalm

Attempted proper fix for this included in Beta 2.5 Test Version 2: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-2-5-test-version-2-available.20593/

Please try to play Pirate Hunting Quests and Treasure Quests to see if the enemy ships work in both instances.
If possible, try to take them at the same time so we can make SURE they no longer interfere.

The "Pirate Hunting quest active" message should never show up again unless you actually do have one active.
This is no longer triggered by Treasure Quests like before.

Additional idea. In PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c find:
Code:
if( GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") == "begin" && !CheckAttribute(pchar, "quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer") )
Replace with:
Code:
if( GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") == "begin" && !CheckAttribute(pchar, "quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer") && GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest.destination") == pchar.location)
This should ensure that the message only occurs at the island where the pirate is.
So if you decide not the engage the pirate just yet and sail away with the worldmap, you can use DirectSail everywhere else.
If you return by worldmap, the pirate will still be there. Not sure what will happen if you return by DirectSail though.

Cheers gentlemen,

at least I think Pieters theory is pretty likely.

This would explain why Hylie had that problem and I did not. For in my navy game, where I excessively tested the pirate hunt quest, I did not care a bit about treasure hunting quests. Namely, I did not take them.

About treasure quests:
I did try those out in an older game, I was in several dungeons for that reason while having a quest for them, and never noticed anyting special like a "treasure" except the usual loot and items laying there in chests. Nothing "hugeish" that would deserve the term "traesure".

Have you tried the treasure quest quest in the Speightstown/Oxbay dungeon? It is in the central area next to the stairs. The treasure chests are buried so you can not see them. Instead when you find one you will hear a "click". I then step back a few paces, turn on walk mode, and then move forward spamming the W and space bar. After 4-12 tries you will get your chest, but more often than not it is empty.
There is an old tutorial about treasure quests that used to have great pics, but most of the pics did not make the transition to this new site.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/treasure-quests.7655/

Instead when you find one you will hear a "click". I then step back a few paces, turn on walk mode, and then move forward spamming the W and space bar. After 4-12 tries you will get your chest
Yeah, I'm trying to fix that. :modding :facepalm :modding

There is an old tutorial about treasure quests that used to have great pics, but most of the pics did not make the transition to this new site.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/treasure-quests.7655/
The formatting there is messed up; I've been fixing some of the posts as I go along.

All done. Still working on fixing the actual quests. Got some ideas, but it'll take a bit of effort.

I was in the spightstown dungeon for a treasure quest. But, since I had no idea what I was looking for, I may completely have overlooked that hidden chest. Thus, I thought the whle thing was not working at all.

So there will be a click, I'll try it. Do I need to have the quest for that, ot will it be there anyway?

And you might want to wait with testing Treasure Quests. My fixing of them is turning out fairly extensive. :shock

I'm marking this as "solved". There should be no further reasons for this messing up anymore.
Though it wouldn't hurt for some more testing involving governor hunting quests and treasure quests.
Probably after the next release though. Need to have me updated Treasure Quest code finished, eh? :cheeky

I have just completely disabled my DirectSail safeguard and tried to actively make my target ship disappear.
DirectSailed from Bonaire to Aruba, then Curacao, Grenada, Barbados and back to Bonaire. Encountered one set of "strange sails" along the way too.
Upon returning to Bonaire, the Wassenaar was still there and I successfully boarded and sank her and collected the reward later.

Please open PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c and REMOVE this code from the top:
Code:
    // PB: No DirectSail during Pirate Hunting Quests to prevent breaking them -->
    if( GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") == "begin" && !CheckAttribute(pchar, "quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer") && GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest.destination") == pchar.location)
    {
        LogIt("Governor Ship Hunting quest active, DirectSail disabled to prevent target ship from disappearing");
        return false;
    }
    // PB: No DirectSail during Pirate Hunting Quests to prevent breaking them <--
If other people can confirm that the target ship will NOT disappear despite heavy DirectSailing, we can drop this safeguard altogether.
Would be nice if we could, no? :woot

Just noticed this text from the old DirectSail ReadMe file:
What currently irks me most is that the reloading upon encountercreation or islandtransfer "reshuffles" the shiptraffic: random ships disappear, and questships and coastal ships are being relocated to their spawnpositions. It would be much better if all ships stayed where they were.
So supposedly while a quest ship doesn't disappear on a DirectSail update, it WILL be relocated back where it came from.
So what do we think: Should we or should we not disable DirectSail updates during Governor Ship Hunting quests?

Personally I prefer having DirectSail disabled, based on my recent tests.
More often than not, I have to sail to the other side of the island and then find the target ship has been sailing away from the island for ages, so I end up chasing it for quite some time.
If, during that time, I approached another island and the target ship disappeared, I'd be pretty annoyed. :walkplank

I catch ye drift. Will restore that to its former limited state then. At least it now only works AT the target island, so you can still DirectSail anywhere else.

While fixing up the smuggling Coast Guard ships, I found that the code generating these ships liked to return a request for class 1 pirate ships.
I ended up being very confused on the whole function that did all this, so rewrote it all.
When playing with Beta 3 WIP 7 (see here), please keep an eye on the Nation, Ship Selection and Character Skills of:
Governor Ship Hunting
Treasure Quest Enemies
Smuggling Coast Guard
Enemies From Shore
Loanshark Avengers

These now all use the same rewritten code and I want to know if my new code performs as you might expect or if it needs some further looking at.

Back