• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Freeplay

Master and Commander and there's a new one called The Buccaneer.
Also the Devlin-Story runs out very very fast, so thats also more freeplay.

I do still wonder what problem people have if there IS a storyline that you DON'T have to follow. o_O

People are programmed to expect a storyline that you can not deviate from by "modern" games. Modern games are made in two modes.
A single player storyline that you can not deviate from.
Multiplayer where everyone is dumped into an arena. Utter chaos.

The concept of a single player open world game with a storyline one can follow if you wish, or ignore if you desire does not compute to them.

:rofl

We only have TWO of those: Woodes Rogers and Hornblower. Even Jack Sparrow allows you to free play after the fixed opening.

People are programmed to expect a storyline that you can not deviate from by "modern" games. Modern games are made in two modes.
A single player storyline that you can not deviate from.
Multiplayer where everyone is dumped into an arena. Utter chaos.

The concept of a single player open world game with a storyline one can follow if you wish, or ignore if you desire does not compute to them.

ye most of the players are "strange", anyway this type of players never discover the deep of the mod, they dont understand the epic mod they are playing ! but we do ! and we love it !

About free-play(Jack Aubrey):
I served England and reach the rank of Admiral. Now, I asked forgiveness to Spain(paid the money), and asked a LoM. No enemy of power at the moment(for spain) so I went pirate hunting. After sinking a couple of ships, I returned to one of Spain's Governors for a promotion but it keeps showing in the dialog box "Ask LoM" instead of the promotion thingy. I load an earlier saved game and repeat it all but still the same. (All the governors of spain) I also tried buying another LoM and again on sea and on return same result. :confused:

That's with the latest modpack version, right? I fixed that literally an hour ago. In PROGRAM\Characters\CharacterUtilite.c function float SetRank(ref char, int iNation, int newrank) find:
Code:
        points = RequiredNextRankDirect(newrank);
    }
Below this, add:
Code:
if(points < 0) points = 0;
Should look similar to this:
Code:
//sets rank of char in service of iNation to newrank, and sets points to that rank
float SetRank(ref char, int iNation, int newrank)
{
    // PB: Rewritten to include ALL functionality here -->
    // Also, no longer resets relation to 0 if you already had a better relation
    string sNation = iNation;
    float points = GetActualRMRelation(iNation);

if(sti(char.reputation) >= REP_COMEBACKMIN && newrank > 0)
    {
        char.nations.(sNation).Rank = newrank;
        //UpdateTitle(&char);
        points = RequiredNextRankDirect(newrank);
    }
    if(points < 0) points = 0;
// KK -->
    if (ENABLE_FLAGS == 1) {
        SetRMRelation(char, iNation, points);
        if(GetActualRMRelation(iNation)<points)
        {
            SetActualRMRelation(iNation, points);
        }
        ReceiveLetterOfMarque(iNation);
    }
    else
    {
        if(GetRMRelation(char, iNation)<points)    SetRMRelation(char, iNation, points);
    }
// <-- KK
    SetServedNation(iNation);
    // PB: Rewritten to include ALL functionality here <--
    return points;
}
Now when you ask for a LoM, your relations will be set to 0 properly and it will display in Nation Relations again too.

NOTE: My above code excerpt is from Beta 3 WIP 14, so your code might look slightly different.

yeah sounds weird my question but I only did asked because there is no singleplayer mode then I wanted to know the storyline with more freeplay :I

and also if it had an singleplayer mode, eventualy it would become boring and I would like to follow the story

yeah sounds weird my question but I only did asked because there is no singleplayer mode then I wanted to know the storyline with more freeplay :I

It ain't weird. Our brains are naturally wired(generally speaking) to do things that's in our "to-do-list" first before we can do whatever we want. And most of the times in the game we just want to do things on our own with no distractions, explore a little "like a tutorial" before we go on a story. BECAUSE THE GAME IS AWESOME!!

What's weird for me is that "multiplayer" thing..:p

Well, that's pretty much exactly what you can do with the Standard storyline. Some story stuff may happen, but it won't continue if you don't report to the governor on Jamaica. :shrug

I wonder if we'd have to adjust the quest coding so that less happens. Maybe only trigger the beginning of the French attack if you go ashore at Speightstown Port?
So it wouldn't trigger straight away if you start with another nation or use the Stormy Start.
And perhaps we can remove that soldier stopping you by the gates so that you are allowed to use Fast Travel in Port Royale straight away too?

Many sandbox RPGs operate that way. Like the Elder Scrolls games. My favorite style of play. Everything is pretty much optional.

Isn't the Elder Scrolls an old game that started in 1992? Methinks Mount and Blade is also free play, but it is an Indie game.

No, it started in 1994 with "Arena". But that was essentially a dungeon crawler. Things became more interesting with Daggerfall and then Morrowind. Then came Oblivion, which I am not a big fan of (boring 08/15 fantasy setting and a lackluster main story). The newest is Skyrim, which I have yet to play.

So the concept is not "modern". Skyrim even uses some old code that AMD disabled support for in their CPUs. A simple little two click program gives a 18-30% improvement in performance for AMD CPUs.

Back