• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

220px-CIRCLE_1.svg.png

Just sayin'... :wp

I could have slipped up there. I work with lines a lot, and they are always described by their diameter. I'll look it up when I get home to make sure.

Update:
It was circumference. I have all the reference pictures, plus a few bonuses, and I'll get them up here when I next plug my phone into my home computer.

OK, that's good to hear. I have a few more changes to make, and then I'll post some more updated images.

Here we go: the hawse went on a diet and we seem to have lost the very large snake-like shape. :dance
I think the hawse holes probably don't need resizing, luckily.

Frigate1_new28.jpg

Frigate1_new29.jpg

And I've added some bitts and belaying pins to the weather deck:

Frigate1_new30.jpg

There are only a couple of details left to add on the weather deck, based on the wooden model photos, along with anything else we can think of for the gun deck.
Then, it's on to the cabin, and finally I'll sort out the masts and add some shrouds and yards. After that, I just need a path model, and the ship is pretty much ready for export.

Pieter: I noticed you used my first image of the hawse in the gun deck for the Hearts of Oak feature article. Could you replace it with the new version above?
I've made sure to remove the Maya HUD elements as well, to make the image more presentable. ;)

Update: My phone's running low on batteries. In other words, I'll have to connect it and upload the pictures tomorrow.

I would recommend exchanging that lower mast texture for the ochre texture you used on the hull. It doesn't really look like the wood you would find on a mast.

Pieter: I noticed you used my first image of the hawse in the gun deck for the Hearts of Oak feature article. Could you replace it with the new version above?
I've made sure to remove the Maya HUD elements as well, to make the image more presentable. ;)
Done. Indeed, that looks even better! :woot

Quick update: the weather deck is now finished (unless I've missed anything), and I've improved the mast texture by making a modified version of the PotBS wood texture.
The modifications were to tone down a few of the colours (some were too bright for my liking), and to replace the standard rope with tarred rope.

Frigate1_new31.jpg

I've also started taking apart some of the game's cabin locations (used in boardings etc) to see if I can use some of the furniture pieces. I'll update you when I've got a few details in the cabin. ;)

While I'm at it, are there any additional details anyone can think of for the gun deck?

Here's one for the weather deck:
(Image intensive.)
The base of the masts. This is how they are described in a few period sources fairly close to the time this vessel would have been active.
IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

The Deck:
IMG_1169-1.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

For some reason, someone put a strip of mahogany in when the deck was being laid. It's fairly atypical, but it might work for some crack frigate or yacht. This is after it has been oiled.
IMG_1395.jpg

Bonus: Look what I did, mommy!

The SD maritime people let some of the crew members climb aloft on Star of India, the world's oldest active merchant vessel. This was taken from the main royal yard, facing aft. That was during their festival of sail. There was a beautiful view, and the rigging was maintained wonderfully.
P1000175.jpg

Thanks for the images, Post Captain!
It took a while, but I've already managed to turn your close-up of the deck into a tile-able texture which fits the model.
Up close, it needs some minor tweaking, but here's how it looks:

Frigate1_new32.jpg

Now that's quite a difference!

I like it. Is there any way to get the spacing between the butts (plank ends) to appear more random? That's the one thing that's bothering me.

Yes, I can arrange that. Currently they're in the same positions as the previous texture; I wasn't quite sure if they needed changing.
Quick question: should I use a different texture for the floor of the cabin? I've seen a checkered floor in various photos, and wonder if that should be used.

I have to say, it definitely makes the old texture look incredibly dirty by comparison! I like the way it makes the other details stand out, as well.

The most common floor for a cabin like that would have been the checkered tile, or canvas that looks just like the checkered tile.

On a man of war, the butts were supposed to be at least five feet apart on adjacent planks.

Edit: One more thing: It would be common to carry extra spars mounted in the same manner and place that the boats were mounted. I would add at least two of what are approximately equal to the t'gallantmasts on the vessel, and possible one spare topmast or yard.

Here's an update on the deck texture, along with a checkered floor for the cabin:

Frigate1_new33.jpg

It would be common to carry extra spars mounted in the same manner and place that the boats were mounted. I would add at least two of what are approximately equal to the t'gallantmasts on the vessel, and possible one spare topmast or yard.
Spare yards are actually featured on the wooden model, but I had almost forgotten about them. When I've got the actual yards in place, I'll copy some to store next to the boats.

Back