• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentelmen of Fortune! v1.2 Full Release Patch 1.0 FAQ/Bugs/Installing

Some points from my perspective:

* On admiral difficulty they don't run out of ammo - they run out of cannons...
The smaller calibres suffer way too many catastrophic failures due to the insane firerate.

* No cannon but the largest calibre seems to have any benefit over culverines. Makes cannons completely pointless.

* Compared to an officer who might come in well over 10000 pieces of eight - shoudln't diamonds and stuff be worth a bit more?
Would also give some more reality to looting, where you just leave that stuff behind now.

* Some wares don't seem to regenerate while you are out of town. They do while you're there thou.

* Ships executing the command "sail away" tend to sail away from you, instead of away from the enemy. They should look for the "best wind out of harm's way" instead of sailing with the pack.

* Repairing ships on sea requires absolutely ridiculous amounts of planks/sails. And unless i got wooden sails, there's something fishy going on with those planks!

* "The musket salvo killed 82" ...that means, the captain managed to reload that frickin musked 81 times before they finally got him! (everyone else was grapeshotted)
I really think the salvo should scale with the men left standing!

Cannons completly pointless, well they did become pointless in the end. However they was still used by some ships because of the culverines been to big and heavy for them to mount, COAS has been made to reflect this, yes overall culverines are the better gun type but the penaulties for the extra weight can be to much and resauklts in you using the cannons for the extra space for ammo, powder, medicines, weapons etc. On the other hand the 48Ibs cannons are the best gun in the game apart from 92Ibs cannons which are for forts only, the 48Ibs cannons you will only see on some ships and you can't go to burmuda to upgrade to them. If your ship can mount them good if not then sorry nothing you can do. The 4*ibs cannons have better range and do more damage than the 32Ibs culverines. To be honest the 42Ibs cannons and 32Ibs culverines have pritty much the same stats only the culverine looses out to the range of the 42Ibs cannons, and takes longer to load and also each culverine weighs more using up valuable cargo space. So are cannons pointless? i don't think so when you look into things a little more deeply, the 42Ibs cannons still has a little benifit over the culverine all be it not as much as they did in the vanailla style where culverines was pointless hands down.

Thats good, the ammo problem was fixed because of RTBL where ships would run out of ammo and sail around like they had no clue where to go or what to do. Now the ships run out of cannons earlier than they do ammo is good in my opinion, if we had a more realistic damage ratio, eavery vaooly fired at a ship would at least damage a cannon so in truth the ships wouldn't run out of ammo so easily. I don't know how many times its happened in history but i know the English ran out against the Spanish Armada. I haven't heard of it happening before for any nation although i am sure it has. But when you look into the English vs the Spanish Armada. The English kept there distance for the best part of the battle fearing the Spanish boarding them and the cresent moon like formation the Spanish used was very good and the English struggled to get to grips with it at first. It was only when the English started going in closer that they started doing enough damage to make the Spanish have to write home about.

Although lootable goods are weird i still think you make far to much money from them, and after looting a ship you can easily sell all the lot for over 30,000 which is unreal in my opinion. Things that are very valuable need to be dialed down so they are not so easily found and cheap iteams are more coomonly found, then it would be more realistic.

I have no idea about goods and iteams been generated while your in town or not, i have never payed much attention to them to be honest. Just get what i need and sail on.

The sail away problem has been there since vanilla and for now is unfixed.

This is because the ships hull hp value's and sail hp have been increased, this is the side effect of that and does need fixing.

Maybe the captain had pre loaded 81 muskets and lined them up down the length of the deck, firing one and running to the next and firing that and so on till he was finally hit. Does sound a little strange and does need looking into.

"* Repairing ships on sea requires absolutely ridiculous amounts of planks/sails. And unless i got wooden sails, there's something fishy going on with those planks!"

"This is because the ships hull hp value's and sail hp have been increased, this is the side effect of that and does need fixing."

I think that those values should be changed. I have dutch warship which is class 3, and it's stronger than any man o war or battleship (hull strength is about 66 000), it carries more, has more crew and it's a lot faster (cannons are same, except number of cannons).. I have that ship 'cos I have advantage with those numbers, but I don't like it actually, it makes game "different" or not balanced.

And enemy ships should surrender, it makes me crazy when I have board and kill all crew on 5 - 7 enemy ships. :facepalm

That's all, for now, I'm waiting for new patch :will

And enemy ships should surrender, it makes me crazy when I have board and kill all crew on 5 - 7 enemy ships.
That was done with reason... since the vanilla ships crews gave up very easy and now they fight to the last man and the last round...But we'll see what the mod guys might have in store for us in the next patch.

But I think so too... they should surrender at some point. Besides it's a nice gampleyfeature you can take them as prisoners and hold certain individuals for ransom or just let them go (increase reputation)... I just know that from the manual since I play the mod ever since :woot

BUG
If you have 5 ships and are preparing to attack a town... collecting crew ammo weapons... you name it well at certain locations not all of your ships find space in the friendly harbour... Puerto Principe for instance... if you anchor there and later leave the town... you can't go to the world map due to the fact that one of your ships is suddenly at the spanish port to the south, which is nearby...
:facepalm

There are other towns with this issue... mostly the ones where foe and friend towns are close together. Well guess that's a vanilla issue... is a fix here possible... though it's not uber important.

HI guys! Thanks for sharing this fantatic GOF mod, been playing for like 2 days now and i gotta say it's so cool (new textures for movie ships, new interface, v.v). However i got some questions. First of all, about the reinit button, i can' seem to see this one in the option menu so i'm just wondering if there is possibly any way to manually apply the changes to the game without having to start a new one. And the next one is one little bug that i don't know if it really is cuz when i started a new game as Davy Jones (pirate of course) everything is just fine but for 2 weird things that in battle mode, Davy's got some weird bugged attack animation which i can't show u (may be u can give it a test) and he seems to walk slower than other characters which is quite annoying. And the last thing, i did a fresh installation of COAS then i install GOF 1.0 and GOF 1.1 respectively but when i loaded the game it said "GOF version 1.0". Oh and sorry for keeping asking so much but anyone has the same problem with the video setting option? i can't change them and they're all grey. I also tried editing the engine.ini to adjust them but notthing worked.
Don't know why, hope u guys can help. Much obliged!

And enemy ships should surrender, it makes me crazy when I have board and kill all crew on 5 - 7 enemy ships.
That was done with reason... since the vanilla ships crews gave up very easy and now they fight to the last man and the last round...But we'll see what the mod guys might have in store for us in the next patch.

But I think so too... they should surrender at some point. Besides it's a nice gampleyfeature you can take them as prisoners and hold certain individuals for ransom or just let them go (increase reputation)... I just know that from the manual since I play the mod ever since :woot

Well, maybe they should give us option to choose will they surrender or not. Under options there is mod options where we can decide what's best for us. I usually put everything to COAS default, but not all. So I think they should give us that option, enemies which surrender. :)

Hey it's me again! This time is about the little problem of setting the video display in the game I mentioned in my last post. I think i found the solution. just go to your root COAS folder ->Programs -> engine.ini. Open it with notepad or wordpad then change full_screen = 0 to full_screen = 1. There you go! Now you can adjust the video display. You can also change the resolution of the game in that file to your own recommeded solution. Maybe this problem did exist b4 and someone probably posted the answer that i don't know but anyways, hope it helps!
BTW Luke or any modder if you read this please replay to my previous post and give me some manual fix guide!
Much appreciated!

@ Luke159
I beg to differ ...32 lbs culverines and 42 lbs cannons are identical in every way except that the cannon needs a second longer to reload.
This continues down the range, with 28 bls culverine beeing exactly like 36 lbs cannon except for the fact that the culverine loads 2 sec faster and so on.
At least that's what the data at the shipyard reads.
There's no point in having a ship capable of carrying 42 lbs ordonance. I'm pretty sure that a 42 lbs ball WILL do more damage than a 32 lbs thou, even if it is fired from a cannon and the other from a culverine.

Why is this a good thing? I mean ....running out is running out - ammo or cannons the result is pretty much the same.
There should be a result before either happens, that would be a solution!
Hey, it's a game. Me thinks, they shouldn't fall out at all. Just goes on my nerves and the enemy usually runns out faster than i do ^^. After that they are pretty helpless.
Managed to get me a huge spanish pot with my tiny vessel (not so easy on admiral level), because the moron unloaded onto a dutch manowar mooring in port. After that he had no cannons left on one side and was easy picking. Wasn't even too damaged ...neither was the dutch manowar...

Yea 30000 bucks sounds like quite a pretty penny.
But the ship brings anything from 20000 to halve a million (so it's rather grand theft sailingboat than piracy).
And if you keep that 500k manowar and shove iron and stuff around the caribbean, you can make way over a million in one run...
Beeing a pure pirate is just not very profitable at this point.

81 muskets lined up? This sounds like something a pirate would do, but come on, not everyone's called Sparrow ;)

I don't really know the code involved with musket salvos, probably based on some skill rate percentages vs enemy crew ratios or something.

@ Luke159
I beg to differ ...32 lbs culverines and 42 lbs cannons are identical in every way except that the cannon needs a second longer to reload.
This continues down the range, with 28 bls culverine beeing exactly like 36 lbs cannon except for the fact that the culverine loads 2 sec faster and so on.
At least that's what the data at the shipyard reads.
There's no point in having a ship capable of carrying 42 lbs ordonance. I'm pretty sure that a 42 lbs ball WILL do more damage than a 32 lbs thou, even if it is fired from a cannon and the other from a culverine.

Why is this a good thing? I mean ....running out is running out - ammo or cannons the result is pretty much the same.
There should be a result before either happens, that would be a solution!
Hey, it's a game. Me thinks, they shouldn't fall out at all. Just goes on my nerves and the enemy usually runns out faster than i do ^^. After that they are pretty helpless.
Managed to get me a huge spanish pot with my tiny vessel (not so easy on admiral level), because the moron unloaded onto a dutch manowar mooring in port. After that he had no cannons left on one side and was easy picking. Wasn't even too damaged ...neither was the dutch manowar...

Yea 30000 bucks sounds like quite a pretty penny.
But the ship brings anything from 20000 to halve a million (so it's rather grand theft sailingboat than piracy).
And if you keep that 500k manowar and shove iron and stuff around the caribbean, you can make way over a million in one run...
Beeing a pure pirate is just not very profitable at this point.

81 muskets lined up? This sounds like something a pirate would do, but come on, not everyone's called Sparrow ;)

My bad on that, this is because i was looking at them in GOF 1.2 changes. Anyway culverines replaced cannons because they was better overall. The range was greater, the damage was higher etc. So in truth we have got the difference between cannons and culverines as close as we can get them, both gun types have their good and bad points. Culverines are better overall for damage and range, but cost more and weigh more so requires more spce in your cargohold. Cannons obviously have a negative hit to range and damage but are better for people who want as much space in their cargoholds as they can egt away with but at the saemtime have a decent sized calibure mounted. They also cost less which is good for people who are poor. With all the mods turned on you will see a drastic change in how easy it is to make money in, even from trading. The only thing is having reloading times on will allow for all calibures to load quicker than they would if you had it set to COAS default.

Things have been done already for GOF 1.2 to make it harder to make such large sums of money, i wont say what we have done because thats something you will find out yourself when GOF 1.2 is released but its a step closer to the ultimate goal of a more realistic feel to the game.

Not everyone will agree with changes made to a game, this is why many people learn to mod them sleves so they can change what they don't like in a mod to how they like it. Personally i would rather see a ship full of ammo and no guns than a ship with all guns still opperational but no ammo, it adds some level of realism to the game. As i said though i would rather see a volley taking out a few guns depending on where that volley hit and what calibure was used and obviously what shot type was used. But to do that it would mean reducing cannon hp levels and this would then mean many people would turn cannon hp to COAS default just so they could have longer lasting guns. Also the other problem with lowering the hp values is that the guns wear as they fire damaging the guns each time. From firing a single volley you loose some 4 or so guns would annoy the heck out of anyone. This is the thing that actually stops me from playing around with a more realistic damage ratio for the guns.

I think the game is mixing things here:

a) Cannons exploding due to excesive use.
b) Cannons exploding due bad handling.
c) Cannons dismounted by a cannon shot (ball/ bombs only).

Only the first is based on HPs: HPs goes down every time the cannon shots (based on crew/gunner mate skills) and every time the cannon side is hit by cannon balls/bombs.

The later two are based on totally different dice rolls: crew/gunner mate skills based roll for "b" and a totally random roll for "c".

IMO we need to rework the model.

I can't say what the cannon failing rate was in 1660, but I feel the game rate is too high.

@Luke: If History knows only one case of a fleet lossing most of her cannons in a battle, probably it is due to the event being an exception, not the trend.

- o -

Musket Voley: the musket voley is not about the captain firing the musket 81 times, is about the captain having 81 men with muskets waiting for you to board.

The rule for the Musket Voley is "one boarder dead for every sailor remaining, maxxed to 25% of the boarders". Same for the opposite side "one defender dead...". Plus some randomness lowering the effect, I believe. May be there is a bug and the rule is not working.

As a side note, I want the spyglass telling me if the captain have the skill. Realizing that there are the marines lined up and waiting for you to board is not difficult, even for the most green captain (it is not "unrealistic", much to the contrary).

Cheers.
buho (A).

Yesterday I started the quest of the Flying Dutchman. When in a fleet of 4 heavy third en 4th class ships I encountered the Flying Dutchman at sea. First the ship showed an impressive piece of fireworks, then ran out of ammo and drifted defenceless, but unboardeble in the water.

I read about this quest and the idea of fight the Flying Dutchman and lose and wake up on the beach of an island. So went back to a city, sold my ships and buy a 6-class vessel. Then re-triggered a meeting with the Dutchman (talked with drunken sailor in tavern) and went to sea.

There I found out that literally every average 6-class ship is to heavy for the Dutchman, because every time it ran out of ammo. At last I bought myself a 7-class small vessel (with hull round 700), went back to sea, got almost caught by an English convoy and finally shot by the Dutchman.

Has this something to do with the damaging factor of the types of ammo...?

This i'm sure has been addressed in GOF 1.2 but i can't say for sure, i'm pritty sure it has been though.

EDIT: I found the fix for the musket. Thanks Buho!
END EDIT

Also, I see the shotgun now once more looks like a shotgun. Near the end of the CM days, someone made a retex/remodel that made it look like a fancy revolver. Can we get that put back in?

@Luke159
I do agree that a broadside to the side of a ship could potentially take out several guns. Damage through damage is fine.
But i don't really think that they blow up in your face all the time. No gunner would survive the first month...
I'm not even considering the game factor here. Hostile encounters are far more common in this game than IRL. The durability of the cannons should reflect this.

@buho
Oh, i do understand that the musket volley is meant to represent 81 musketeers ... the captain doesn't, because there was no one left on hes ship ;)
According to that formula there should have been at least 324 men left standing. I wouldn't have boarded that willingly!
This might also be related to the massive losses you suffer if you are boarding from a tier2 of tier1 ship.

Some smaller things and ideas:
* Female character models (and at least Lawrence Belltropa too) go haywhire if equipped with a Musketoon

* Having a "replenish regular crew" button for recruiting sailors would be great, especially on higher difficulty levels, where keeping mariners happy can become an issue

* I don't know about you, but me thinks,. there should be a standard attack you could perform while you are out of energy. You can't be THAT exhausted after 10 sec of fencing, not even if you're an absolute beginner.
Every time at the early stage of a game, when i stand there in combat unable to perform a move, waiting for that freakishly slow energy bar to go up ... i think, there's something wrong with this model.
Energy just for the fancy stuff, that will make the difference between a rookie and a fencing master

[...]
@buho
Oh, i do understand that the musket volley is meant to represent 81 musketeers ... the captain doesn't, because there was no one left on hes ship ;)
According to that formula there should have been at least 324 men left standing. I wouldn't have boarded that willingly!
This might also be related to the massive losses you suffer if you are boarding from a tier2 of tier1 ship.
[...]

The 81 * 4 = 324 men are your men, the enemy captain needs only 81 men to kill 81 of your men. The rule is "maxxed to 25% of the other crew".

I've checked the code while fixing some other bug, it is working as expected.

Note: there is not any random factor but a 0.55...1.05 factor based on the Defence skill, I was wrong on that.

Cheers.
buho (A).

First i wanted to thank you for this amazing mod. The mod makes coas a whole new game, the game it should have been from the beginning.
I wanted to ask if it is possible to create a caracter on the new "officer in uniform" you can recruit. The one with the blue and red uniform. Espessially the pigtailand the shoulders look much better than the norrington-version. Eventually someone could recreate the british military caracters on the new model??

And like sharkes prize said it would be great to get the redone shotgun back, i loved it in CM.

Thanks for your work and keep up building the perfect pirate game.

I've been playing as peter blood for about a week now, and I've gone through the coas quest, the blue bird, double musket, several random townspeople quests, and have started on the mummy powder and dutchman quests. The longer I play, the worse the game performs, and now the crashes are getting frequent to the point of preventing me from progressing very much. So while GoF is more stable than vanilla or CM, it still gets problems when you play one character for a while.

Actually there are two known sources of crashes:

- Some ships crash the game when dismasted. There is a temporary hack (work-around) in the forum: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17859-rel-hack-to-stop-battle-crashes-dismasting-bug/

- Some ships crash the game (period). There is not work-around for it. Known ships crashing the game are the Lydia, the Wicked Wench and may be the Amsterdam and the Surprise. Sail out if the enemy fleet have one of them. If you fight them the game will crash sooner or later (probably sooner). We are working on it.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Actually there are two known sources of crashes:

- Some ships crash the game when dismasted. There is a temporary hack (work-around) in the forum: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17859-rel-hack-to-stop-battle-crashes-dismasting-bug/

- Some ships crash the game (period). There is not work-around for it. Known ships crashing the game are the Lydia, the Wicked Wench and may be the Amsterdam and the Surprise. Sail out if the enemy fleet have one of them. If you fight them the game will crash sooner or later (probably sooner). We are working on it.

Cheers.
buho (A).

That's unusual, as I have never had the demasting bug that I'm aware of, and I have actually fought and killed a wicked wench without incident.

I personally don't like gun falling out at all. I double hp of every cannon before starting new game. I know that's unrealistic, but if I want to be real pirate I'd go to Somalia instead of sitting in front of monitor.

@Luke
I don't think there is a single person who chooses cannons because of their lower price or weight. If at least they have lower reloading time, one would pick them out. I agree with Spectre. All cannon except 48lbs are useless.

Back