• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

:ahoymate!

Have you looked at the GOF2.5 Mod? It has several sound packs, and methinks one of them is vanilla music. It can be found here.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...-of-fortune-supermod.22493/page-4#post-495191

You got a cracked disc? Bummer. Have you gotten the nodvd patch yet?

The 1.3 patch was fully tested and we had no ctds with it. The 1.4 patch mainly adds more content and has a few small tweaks in it. They are both pretty similar in play where lots of large ships will drag performance down to the point where it might ctd. I play 1.4 and keep my fleet small.

I guess this is the reason why the Modders of GOF 2.0 Mod made the change especially in the "In Search of Mummy Powder Quest / Ascold Quest" where you had to defeat 10 Man-Of-War (really hardcore, but I managed it then to go through!!) in the vanilla COAS, where compared to GOF there were only 2 hostile Man-Of-War to board!

I never captured a fort, but methinks they repair themselves over time.

Recently I turned on the "Beta Test Mod" and went to a shipyard. To my big surprise there was a fort available to purchase!! It had a hull of 86000 and a crew of 1275!! So I tried to give it to one of my passengers / companions. And then...BOOM!! The game crashed! It seems to be that my PC is not able to handle the capacity of it! May be this was made to replace damaged fort cannons?

Greetings, long time no see... Surfaced again to haunt. At my last days, I promised to upload (but first implement as a new object..) a new char skin, a new ship skin, and my old corvette model from POTC implemented to COAS years and years ago, then I suddenly cut off. (As I did similarily with alot of my abandoned projects here before COAS, at the POTC modding days... POTC Royal Navy Career beta mod for example) Since then I moved into Britain, restarted the Real Life thing, etc.
I'm not someone to be trusted XD with deadlines, and uploads... Sorry about that. Maybe if I can get that part time job instead of full time. :D we will see.
I do not promise ANYTHING again, until I've hit the upload button...

BUT!: Beside my still working (and not bad, kind of stable) COAS+CM 3.15, I installed a stock COAS yesterday, and downloaded GOF 2.0, then 1.3 patch, then the 1.4 beta.
I've ran into the same problem what's here in this topic amongst the first posts, the ARABELLA bad texture.

It's still there, and my install is good. The problem just isn't went away, or resurfaced after some rollback in the versions, I don't know.

I did some digging into the GOF frame, and as all the arabella texture files looked good in the GM viewer, I turned into the ini files.

Half a success, I managed to fix the issue temporarily:
I don't know where (And it's bugs me out...) but the Arabella was given a bad navigational data :D to look for her textures. She coldly refuses to use the ships/ArabellaShip1 (even the ships/ArabellaShip) path, and laugh at the hull directories, it can -only- find it's ArabellaShip.tga in the Textures folder root.
(does not help to simply delete it from there, forcing the system to MAYBE look further, as then theres no texture shows up at all...)

There WAS an ArabellaShip.tga there, but that was the ship's icon, (which in the ini files is linked correctly to it's icon folder) and that does not look good on the ship model's hull, with the blue sky, and painted masts (as the poor Arabella shows ingame since 2.0) so I swapped it with the hull3 model version ArabellaShip.tga, and voila, nice weathered ship floats at the Barbados harbor.

So my problem is, that I can't find where the system gives the path for the model textures for the Arabella. I assume it's uses a dynamic path creation function, but SOMEHOW the Arabella ignores it totally :D and trust me, all her .ini material is the same as other ships, and the .c and .h files are good also.

Yet she uses only one version of the hull in cold blood, and can only find it inside the textures root.

Im sure that this version of the ship is an ancient remnant from a different system, but I can only think that her texture have an exact path inside her GM?

Help me out on this, as putting one version of the hull into the Textures root is an amateur fix for this :D but still can be used to fix the eye-pluckering issue on the next GOF 2.0 beta, or version. Just it would be better to have a system-ortodox solution, if you can tell me where to look to find a fix to help you spare a little time.

Being here I draw my own questions, if I may:

Does the GOF 2.0 + 1.4 beta still missing some ships, models, features from the final GOF 1.x version, or it's that (but stable) AND more?
And does it include the whole CM 3.2? Does it have some nice gambling games I awed about in the POTC mods, and I think in COAS aswell?

And not counting the tons of fixes, and fine tuning, (tremendous work, hats down) which are the new features in GOF 2.0 14b compared to CM and GOF 1.x ?

Thank you very mutch, I feel embarassed to see you all working harder every day.

Good winds, and godspeed!

Capt. Daniel Wolf

:ahoy

I know nothing of the Arabella textures. There is an Arabella and an Arabella1 in the ships folder.

What I know of GOF2 patch 1.4 is that it takes GOF2 patch 1.3 and adds a few textures and ships, but not much more. We were play testing them for stability when real life got in the way and all worked stopped.

coas2.jpg

I was talking about this problem. (pic is years old, from the first page of this topic)

Since my last post I realised the following:

I captured the ship, started to sail with it, when, after some travel my ship's "fixed" nice, weathered texture (hull2, copied in place of the faulty tga that causes the blue ship in Textures root) changed into a classy reddish frigate texture. (hull1) Not in the port, but well after. o_O

Of course.... (facepalm) The game uses a different model for the -stationary- ship you need to acquire as Cpt Blood, and another for "your own" Arabella.

The latter is a normal ship. And as a normal ship, it uses the Arabella1 directory for textures.
Only the stationary one uses the one in the Textures root. (which is stucked for a while to my moving ship, as it has the same name, and the system only refreshes textures after full area change)

So basically the cause of the "blue toy ship" problem is that the texture, used by the stationary model in the "textures root" was copied over with a ship icon with the same name.

So the only thing need to be done, if there's ever going to be another GOF 2.0 patch, is to:

-copy ArabellaShip.tga from Textures/ships/Arabella1/Hull1 to Textures root.

As the model need THAT file to be there, not the ship icon that has the same name :D

I don't know who continues the work on the GOF 2.0 testing, and future patches, so until I figure out some other way, I'm going to post any problems I run into, and possible solutions here, to this topic, to be accessible.

Of course just until further notice, if there's still a development topic somewhere, I gladly clean up my mess here...

Problem#2:

A slight annoyance:
If you use your boat to travel to another ship, then after -trading- with the other captain, OR after asking for prices, etc., you can't talk to him anymore. (need to go back to your ship, and relaunch the boat)
He's logically there to talk, you can activate to "talk" to him directly via fast menu also, the "mouth icon" shows up, but nothing happens.

Something at the end of that dialog (or the nature of the scripts triggered) causes the NPC captain's talk dialog to cease functioning.

Any ideas? I was never really buried into the dialog and quest system, nor in POTC, nor in COAS, so doesn't know where to start yet.

Ahoy there @Capt. Daniel Wolf, long time no see! Welcome back in these waters. :doff

Unfortunately modding for CoAS is pretty much completely dead as everyone who used to work on it has long since disappeared.
While I am familiar with dialog and quest coding from PotC, I am not quite familiar with how AoP 2 handles things.

We do still continue development on the PotC Build Mod. In fact, we have recently been working on substantially improving actual navy gameplay.
You will now get a new command with each new navy level, for example.

Something at the end of that dialog (or the nature of the scripts triggered) causes the NPC captain's talk dialog to cease functioning.
Do you know which dialog file it is? Possible the character just needs his dialog.currentnode reset when closing the dialog.
Either that, or for some reason he turns ActorType during the conversation, which would need to be reset too.

Greetings, Fleet Admiral! :) Really good to see you active. Yet again Im ashamed about myself :)

Sadly I lost contant with Marcello Caceres, Capt. Caceres, your best colonial fort expert, my close friend, after my MSN was hacked roughly 2-3 years ago. Aswell as my old email adresses. Just sharing it if you run into him some day, tell him I don't forget about him, just lost his contacts "on poker" XD

Sad news on COAS modding, and until I became fired, or find a good part time job instead, I can't promise to advance the GOF cause, never Im going to make any promises again XD until I have things ready to upload... I intend to dig deep into the age of sail historic material again, and coas- (and maybe testing Hearts of Oak when it comes out) to fuel my cause on continuing my 1793 novel.

Well, Im not sure about wich dialog file it is- I tried it with two captains on their own ship, and the only thing Im certain of is the "speak" icon in fast commands do appear if I face the man, yet activating it does nothing. (after the "trade with ship", or "ask for prices" dialogs, other options Im not sure about.)
But if Im going to do anything, the first thing is going to be to find the dialog file somehow :)

In the meantime Im going to publish any problem or solution I find to here, at least the information is going to be safe...

Good to see you again,

Good winds, and Godspeed!

I occasionally see @capitan_caceres only on the forum, so you could just try to send him a PM.

For the dialog file, if you know some of the text shown in the game, you can search the PROGRAM folder for that.
That should give you the .h file that contains it, leading you to the .c file containing the code you need.
This might contain some tricks to help you: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/modding-tips-tricks.24942/

Thats good news :) I think I hail him.

I was thinking the same, that I find it in the programs folder :) but now I know that I should look for a .h file for the text, and find the .c from it. I forgot too mutch XD
Thank you for the info, thats the lead I wanted to know. I don't promise anything again :D but we will see!

I think I start to post small files and info for future fixes, and if enough gathered I might ask your permission to post a small patch. (again, we will see...)

thank you!

Good winds, and Godspeed!

Last edited:
News:

It seems that a normal, simple dialog chocie like ending the conversation with a good bye also breaks the system, so you can't speak to the captain again. (until you exit to sea, and relaunch the boat) since I first experienced the behavior that I can't find the captain by myself, but he walks up to me automatically, and starts the conversation, I think maybe this is the thing causing it: the normal talk option is disabled, and in it's place the "walk to the player and start a chat" activates.

And it's simply does not relaunch after you finished talking to the guy.

An idea: With some background info provided of course, I think Im going to modify the Reference Book a bit... If you don't mind.
As theres some mayor mistakes present, and a reference book should always give you historically accurate data.

For example a corvette... was -never- a frigate, "fast frigate", or modified frigate, the word is -only- used by the french navy as an expression, and it's described a sloop-of-war class vehicles, single decked, and ship rigged. (with alot less crew than any frigate. Also less than a british navy brig...)

Actually the proper term in english territories would be a "ship-rigged-sloop", but the corvettes are slightly different from english ship-rigged-sloops as they are more narrow, have smaller holds, and very very fast. Though I think I can simply state in the reference that they are ship rigged sloops of war, "and the term is generally used in french territories".

As in the game the "corvette" is mainly used for fast frigates I think we can give a small liberty to imagine that they are "special kind of sloops-of-war" though Im not sure that some of the ingame corvettes slip into the 5th class, or they are all stay in the 6th... Minor details. The Reference Book should stick to historical accuracy, the ingame material could differ as the corvette is there (faultily) since POTC...

The second step is to rename all 5th class corvettes to "fast frigates", but I don't think it's necessary. The game naturally have some inaccurate data, for example Modyford as Governor should be deposed in 1670, and clap into irons... XD but as it is an open ended game, and depends on your actions, theres no need to enforce this.

The only thing that need to be accurate is the "learning material", the Reference Book. Of course I will post any modification here with the explanation.

What do you say? :)

Edit:

A minor question. I've read here somewhere (forgot where) that certain versions of the GM viewer can't display textures on characters. Well, mine also. So I decided to download one from Captain Pystof's uploads, but that's do the same. Can you tell me how can I view textures on char. models? :)

Last edited:
It seems that a normal, simple dialog chocie like ending the conversation with a good bye also breaks the system, so you can't speak to the captain again. (until you exit to sea, and relaunch the boat) since I first experienced the behavior that I can't find the captain by myself, but he walks up to me automatically, and starts the conversation, I think maybe this is the thing causing it: the normal talk option is disabled, and in it's place the "walk to the player and start a chat" activates.
In that case the captain is ActorType so when the dialog with him ends, he should be reset to a normal character type that you CAN talk to again.

A minor question. I've read here somewhere (forgot where) that certain versions of the GM viewer can't display textures on characters. Well, mine also. So I decided to download one from Captain Pystof's uploads, but that's do the same. Can you tell me how can I view textures on char. models? :)
Unfortunately this affects certain versions of Windows and not certain versions of the GM Viewer (there is only one).
That makes this particular problem just about impossible to get past. By now, I doubt there are many people left here for whom textures DO show on character models.
It is certainly bugged for me too and there appears to be nothing we can do about it.

Some workarounds:
- Convert the textures to .TGA and then use TOOL to load the character model instead
- Look through the portrait files and find which model refers to which portait number
- Assign character models to characters ingame to view them

Not perfect, but those are the best solutions I know of.
On PotC at least we have the Select Storyline Interface now where we can search for specific models and immediately see their appropriate portrait files.
But CoAS does not have the same level of flexibility at all.

Solution(?)

Well, the file in question was the capitans_dialog.c

I did a little research on the AI, and found a ...tad risky... solution.

I included these new lines (the ones with wolf XD so I can quickly find any changes later)

switch(Dialog.CurrentNode)
{
case "Exit":

LAi_SetWarriorType(npchar); //wolf
LAi_warrior_DialogEnable(npchar, true); //wolf
LAi_warrior_SetStay(npchar, true); //wolf

So as soon as someone exits the original dialog, These lines change the actortype to warrior (the same type that sailors use who walk around the captain, but can be talked to)
enables the dialog, (unchanged the file, so the dialog is the same) and asks the warrior kindly to STAY IN ONE PLACE. (otherwise he starts to walk around randomly the same way his men do. Can be talked to, but keeps on carousing around. In the old COAS days all captains was worked like this, hell of annoying XD but with the last line he stays.)

The result is that the captain walks up to you, starts the conversation, and no matter how you exit, he stays there, but you can talk to him again.

RISKS:
As this dialog is loaded to an actor by the "cabin" environment, Im sure that this is used in a lot of places, for example quest captains, and I found some "trap" captains also, who also use this maybe, soo... We know how the common captains work, but changing the actor type maybe can break something in an other situation where this dialog is used.

Opinions?

You could try putting that code not in the Exit case, but in one of cases that is unique to the specific encounter you're looking at.

Good thinking, but the dialog is roughly the same in all cases, the only thing I can try is to put it EVERYWHERE XD only avoiding the content in the dialog which seems to be different from the common captain case.

*Thanks, the idea is almost the same, and you came with it :D*

* = I mean the idea is yours, just gave me another one :) thanks

I try something

Edit:

I put it inside an "if" in the exit code, with a boolean set to true, only turns false where I find suspicious code

Last edited:
Yep, I found ship boarding cases, and fort attacking cases, and... o_O Asking for help to attack fort/siege cases?
Well I've wrote staystill = false; to every first line of every "case" which are not trade/play game/share prices/rumors...

Just in case, the "else" case contains an LAi_SetActorType(npchar); (as the dialogfile is loaded in the "cabin" after using this line) this shall reset the type to actor.

If I do not encounter any bug, then the captain's are fixed...

Back