• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

:onya

Sometimes the best way to find out about issues is to just not think about them in advance and see when weird stuff happens. :wp

:DDD I like that! Will do. I try to harass as many captains I can with oaring to their ships, progressing the game.

Well, first a question do not belong here, but I think the most experienced Sea Devils already here:

I count as a black magician about windows incompatibilty, managed to run almost everything on win 7, win 8, and make the same changes, ranging from dos games, win 98 classics, etc.

I know I had success enforcing anti aliasing of COAS on a win XP. But do you know any way to enforce it on more modern platforms? I tried to modify the NVIDIA profile for start.exe in NVIDIA control panel, overwriting ingame settings, tried to modify the global settings to enforce, running it on integrated vga instead of nvidia chip, tried in NV Inpsector, setting every behaviour flag I can think, trying all old game compatibilty modes, etc., also tried ENB, but sadly the only ENB version that actually strats with COAS is the old one you posted in MODDB and that one lacks the AA enforcing feature...

It seems that our "directx 9" COAS is -just- dx8, nothing form dx9, as dx9 ENB versions do not activate by the start.exe.
Only the dx8 dll. And the other problem is, that the "convertible" dx8 libraries supposed to enhance the full ENB dx9 are only produce crashes without start.

So the only ENB version to run is the full dx8, the oldest one.

It still look very nice with all the bloom and such, but theres MUST be a way to get antialias somehow...

Other thing,

Another tiny visual bug:

The "naval saber" or "navy saber" if you view it from the back (you always do, unless stuck in a doorway) seems to have normals inverted OR missing a pane from the back, as it seems cracked in two, very thin slices at the tip. You can see through it from the back. or maybe some of the vertexes do not join, and have a gap between two.
I play in 1366x768, but in these days I think the majority plays at least this resolution.

I recognised nothing similar on the other sabers.

A third dumb question:

my monitor can say the 1366 x768 as its own natural screen ratio, the wide stretched 2d material does not bother me at all, but the 3d content is -totally the opposite-, the characters and ships seem a little... Too thin and tall. Also round objects tend to seem like eggs a bit.

It's the same on 4.3 resolution aswell.

Do it have anything to do with

[ProgressImage]
;0.0 - left screen position, 1.0 - right screen position
RelativePosX = 0.88
;0.0 - top screen position, 1.0 - bottom screen position
RelativePosY = 0.85
;0.0 - zero size, 1.0 screen width size
RelativeWidth = 0.08
;0.0 - zero size, 1.0 screen width size
RelativeHeight = 0.08
;Horisontal frames in texture 1..64
HorisontalFramesCount = 8
;Vertical frames in texture 1..64
VerticalFramesCount = 8

in engine.ini ? I tried to fiddle with these settings, but I can't recognise any difference ingame.

For PotC, all I ever do is set this in engine.ini:
Code:
full_screen = 0
screen_x = 1600
screen_y = 900
Makes 3D look fine; the interfaces get a bit stretched.

That is all I set in GOF2 also.

It has been a long time since I ran nvidia, but I used Cossacks in the presets portion of the control panel to set things in POTC. For some reason it worked.

Thanks :) I was able to set it to my resolution, but it seems that the game world itself, no matter the resolution, or the screen ratio, as it is the same in 1024x768, 1280x1024, and the same in widescreen, is a bit stretched up and down in COAS.
I just need to fix it somehow... Those mystical numbers at the ProgressImage tab haunt me...

Actually I finally have a good enough system to run COAS in "full_screen 0", (my older dual core could only handle it in true fullscreen) and voila, all CTD's are gone, and I can happily alt-tab around.

In many old games the aspect ratio is good in the center of the screen but on the edges of the screen things are much wider than they are supposed to be. Do you see that?

No, actually it seems that the 3d world is squeezed a bit so everyone seems tall and thin everywhere, no matter what screen ratio resolution Im using

HAH! Managed to find a way to be able to force Anti ALias, and force Anisotropic to COAS on win 8 with even the newest Nvidia drivers.

(directx 8 games immune to forcing from nvidia control panel sicne years)

Its called WineD3D, simply wraps the directx game to run under OpenGL!!!!!!

No performance drop, but my enforced settings kicked in... COAS is seamless as a.. young lasses body.

Well it seems with that workaround only the forced FXAA antialias works with this way, normal multisampling antialias still not... But the FXAA looks surprisingly good in COAS-

Edit:

good, managed to load the hooked d3d8.dll of the OpenGL wrap -together- withe the ENB's d3d8.dll, so Anti Aliasing, AND astonishing effects :D COAS steps into the 2015 HD gaming era on win 8.. .. yaaay

Edit2: After some testing I realised that on my 4 core core I7 with GTS850M + 8g ram the OpenGL wrap produces huge fps drops outside... From a stable 60 fps to 25-30 fps....
Doesn't matter that the FXAA is enforced, or not, ENB series counts very little, but the darn OpenGL wrapper seems to slow it down.

Well, If someone have a machine at least as mine he can consider using it for smoother edges.... But still counts as a half success only. :/ And it took a whole day to find it...

DX8 to DX9 wrappers do not seem to work, nor ENB ones, nor others-
Only the ancient GTA3 Enb works, with the hooked original D3d8.

It would be the best to wrap it to dx9 though... Would be mutch faster, and I bet all features could be enforced.

Last edited:
Anyone have any info about how to make a wrapper for dx9 -specifically- out from a certain dx9 game?

People did it before, just lot's of these wrappers proven to be good for alot of other games. Well, none of them can run COAS... So it would be the best to make a dx8 to dx9 wrapper -directly for this game somehow.

Are you sure COAS is DX8? We know POTC is DX8 and models taken from COAS and put into POTC don't look nearly as nice there. I also get much better performance in COAS than POTC.

COAS claims to be dx9, but if you put d3d9.dll into it's directory -it's not even loads it at all-.
Only loads d3d8.dll. Any hooks, or modifications in d3d9.dlls never activates.

Maybe using dx9 in some way after all, if not it's 3d, I don't think so, but it's renderer is based plainly on dx8. (hence the file in modules: DX8render.dll)

In fact it's SO dx8, that the 2-3 existing dx8 to dx9 wrappers doesn't even work at all. Making the game go crash.
It would be most benefical to make a wrapper for the engine anyway... As wrapping it to use OpenGL -wastly- slows it down. While wrapping it to use dx9 would speed it up, as it does in most cases with dx8 games. (but we aiming for the plus visual features of course ^^)

Actually COAS is SO MUTCH dx8 that it uses 1.x shader technology only....

Storm Engine 2.8 is basically almost identical to POTC o_O which is almost identical to Sea Dogs... Found a topic about the comparison earlier, and someone found code in the exe I think, from 1999 XD

I have a hunch that they only modified memory usage and such.

Makes me cry. And it's the only thing that keeps Storm 2.8 from entering space age. (huge exaggeration... It's a stone age engine, but still nice) Since the dx8 -> OpenGL wrapper works on it, that's a proof that theres a way to use a dx8 -> dx9 one.

SweetFX with Reshade.me works with it, the d3d8.dll version, beautiful SMAA anti alias and such, but... XD makes the damn waterline disappear. Or at least making the sea look so transparent, like theres nothing. Sadly it even looks like this if you erase SweetFX directory, so the problem is inside the d3d8.dll hook... So that way is closed to get AA.

Last edited:
Tried the ENB dx8 -> dx9 wrapper again: managed to get past the intro movies :D and THEN CTD-ed out.

error.log

RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\interface.c; line: 1632
Cant create class: InfoHandler

System.log varies, if I try safe_render 1 or 0 in engine.ini

either

ERROR: SetCurrentBlock: unknown technique <> first character is <(null)>
ERROR: SetCurrentBlock: unknown technique <> first character is <(null)>

at the end, or

DrawBuffer::SetVertexShader
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value

All of them in the "initialising directx9"section.

The wrapper is clearly missing something :(

Hello guys.

I think i might have found a bug. Is anyone familiar with situation when some ships have manueverability problems? Even if the ship has little over half full haul, manueverability is 0.00/12.0 forinstance. Despite full crew and best possible experience. I found that hapends with 28 gun fregate, 24 gun merchant schooner, heavy battle fregate... I have never noticed it before, but now i got 28 gun fregate, very fast (over 13 (15 knots pimped)), but the turning rate is really bad. I play with the dutch dudeNicolaas van Hoorn.

Is that a known thing?

huh o_O who has the largest navigation skill from your crew, how high is that, and is he appointed navigator?

Also if your crew is too large (red, not blue) that can dramatically decrease maneuverability

Wich difficulty setting you started with?

Other topic: that's it, had enough, currently downloading Sea Dogs. Similar engine, and that had built in antialiasing, etc. We well see how similar are they :D

Edit:

Well, that was unfruitful.... Sea Dogs do not have programs folder, only dlls, have an engine. ini with different syntax, and refused to run normally :D flickering 3d and textures around like a madman. Last chance: Pieter, can you send me a copy of POTC's engine.ini? And also can you search the POTC directory system for any *.sha files? :)

Last edited:
Other thing:

Managed to correct all the great, starting mistakes in the reference book, posting the resulting edition here, for you to think about it.

The corrected/changed content is red,
the absolutely new content is green. (not too many yet as my first aim was to stop the headache it given me every time I opened it, ad fix a few things....)

Forgive me that it's currently without ANY order, (It -was- like this ingame...) I plan to put it in alphabetical, as soon as I call the last version of it.

---------------------------------

GRAPPLING - To settle the ship board to board. "To grapple": to assault a ship, to land forces at the competing ship to settle the matter with swords, axes, and at gunpoint.
FREE WIND - A fair slanting wind, between the full (wind right astern) and half wind, and the course of the ship, its heading by this wind, that is why the heading during the free wind is either starboard or port side, either with a starboard or port tack, depending the side of the wind blow.
FOREDECK - Or Forecastle(Fo'cas'le) the superstructure at the frontal part of the ship which reaches the stem post. Before the frontal part of the upper deck (in front of the foremast). It is used for protection of the upper deck to be flooded with the meeting wave, to enhance seaworthiness, to locate service premises, etc.
On several ship designs, especially after the late 16th century, the Forecastle was only a name of the fore part of the ship, but it was on the same level, the same deck as the middle part.
BARQUE - A three or four-masted sea vessel, featuring square rigging on the frontal masts and slant rigging on the rear (mizzen) mast.
WIND ON THE BOW - Sail ship heading when its diametrical plane and the wind direction builds up an angle less than 90 degrees. To move under the wind on the bow means movement almost against the wind which blows either a bit either to the right or to the left from the fore part.
MIZZENMAST - The after mast which follows the mainmast is defined as mizzenmast.
FIRE SHIP (BRANDER) - A vessel, in time of the sail navy, loaded with flammable and explosive materials was used to set a fire on a hostile ship.
BRIG - A two-masted, square-rigged vessel. Smaller than a frigate, bigger than a sloop.
JACKASS BRIG (BRIGANTINE) - A two-masted vessel with square sails on the foremast and a fore-and-aft mainsail with square upper sails.
BUCCANEERS - Sea bandits of the 17th century, based in the West Indies coastlines. Mainly british, and french people, who were seeking refugee from taxes, lawsuit pursues, and mainly religional hostilities from the catholic spain. They launched attacks on Spanish colonies in America, Spanish and other trade vessels.
"Buccaneers" is a term particular to the Caribbean, from the American Red Indian word "boucan" (alternatively, "barbecue") - a mesh used to sun-dry bison and bore meat - referring to a pirate's main foodstuff (along with salt junk) at sea. Literally, the French word "boucanier" means "a man who eats barbecue".
(See Brethren Of The Coast)
BOWSPRIT - a spar projecting from the upper end of the bow of a sailing vessel for holding the tacks of various jibs and stays and often supporting a jib boom.
BRETHREN OF THE COAST - A loose caribbean coalition of criminal sea raiders, and official privateers, all adhering to a same code of conduct, first written down by Henry Morgan (on a secret mission given to him by the Queen of Britain, to take land from the spanish without british military involvement) The Brethren is first formed from english and french buccaneers, against the spanish crown, but later joined by many. Was active from the early 17th until the end of the 18th century.
A SHIPYARD - A ship building enterprise.
FULL LOAD WEIGHT - A water volume, displaced by a sea ship, one of properties of a ship. There is a "mass full load weight", equal to the ship total weight, i.e. total weight of water which could be hold in the volume of the ship's submerged volume, and "a volume full load weight" (the ship's volume below the draft-line).
GALLEON - A big, three-masted vessel featuring a specific solid build and carrying heavy artillery. These vessels were used to carry cargo from Spanish and Portuguese colonies.
GALLIOT - A flat-bottomed Dutch vessel meant for a coastal navigation.
GALLEY - At the age of sail these also carried masts, and sails, though were slow with the wind compared to other vessels, but carried slaves, and many long oars set along the side to naviagte fast, and effective against the wind. Had their guns mainly just fore, and aft, but those were really heavy artillery.
TACK - A ship's heading, in respect to the wind (for example the ship moves on the starboard tack when the wind is blowing upon the starboard of the vessel).
HALF WIND - A sail vessel heading, when its latitude axis is perpendicular to the wind direction.
GAFF - A tilted sailyard, the bottom end of which is fastened to the upper mast. It is used to lift the flag and signals. In case of the sail vessels the upper edge of the fore-and-aft sail is secured to the gaff.
MAIN MAST - the second mast from forward in any vessel having either two or more masts.
CABLE - A nautical length measurement (185.2 meters), one tenth of the nautical mile.
CABOTAGE - Navigation between ports of the same country. There is a great cabotage (between the ports of different seas, such as the Baltic an Black seas) and a smaller cabotage (between the ports either of the same or two adjacent seas, such as Black and Azov seas).
CABOTAGE NAVIGATION - A vessel's heading, along a sea coast.
PRIVATEERING - Attacks launched by a privately owned, armed trade vessel of a country engaged in combat actions, with a written permission (so called "letters of marque" given by a governor, issued by the King, or Queen of the country) upon to attack trade vessels of either hostile or neutral countries involved in transportation of cargo for a hostile country. It was forbidden by Paris Declaration on sea warfare of 1856.
KEEL - A beam in the central part of the vessel bottom from the fore part up to the stern. Actually the ship's spine.
KEELHAULING - A major, unofficial punishment, tossing someone into the water on one side of the ship, and pulling him under the keel of the ship with a rope. Most of the cases fatal, as it took a long time without air, the boards of the ship made heavy blows on the victim dragged under it, and all the barnacles, coral, and sea debris was really sharp on the bottom of the ship wich of he was dragged trough.
JIB TOPSAIL - A second triangular staysail, shaped like a jib but set well above the jib boom in the fore part of the ship.
CORVETTE - A word used almost only in french language territories. Refer to a 6 or 7th class, or classless (sloop) small navy patrol vessel, ship rigged (means 3 masts with square sails, like a frigate) and armed with guns.
A corvette is basically a ship-rigged-sloop, but differs from the english ship-sloops from it's design, as it was narrow, small, had a reduced hold, and was very fast, but well armed. A same size as a brig, but more narrow, can only hold provisions for small voyages, and mutch faster.

STERN - A ship's rear end.
CORSAIR (PRIVATEER) - A private person licensed to capture trade ships of hostile countries.
SHIP-OF-THE-LINE - A battleship meant to participate in a sea battle in a linear or dead-water formation. They are divided into classes depending upon the number of artillery pieces.
They formed the 1st, 2nd, and in some navies the 3rd class.
LUGGER - A small, fast, two or three masted vessel with special fore and aft "lugger" sails.
NAUTICAL MILE - 1852 meters, or one minute of latitude along any meridian.
TO BRACE SAILYARDS - To turn the sail yards along a horizontal plane.
WINDWARD - To turn a vessel with its stem to another tack against the meeting wind. Normally one sails windward when the ship bears steeply in respect to the wind direction. Sailing windward is easier for ships with a diagonal rig, and it is harder for a straight rig.
SAIL - Either a piece of fabric or flexible plate to convert wind energy into the ship's movement energy. There are square sails (as an isosceles trapezium) and slant ones (3 and 4 angled sails). They are made of sailcloth, synthetic fabric, matting (for johnboats) etc. A Lateen sail is the same as a three angle slant sail.
PIASTER - an Italian name of ancient Spanish coin peso or peseta.
PIRACY (from Greek "pirate" - robber, high way robber), sea robbery, as per the international legislation an illegal capture, robbery or sink of trade and other civil ships in the open seas using private or state ships.
MASTS-AND-SPARS a common name of all wooden devices to carry sails.
REAL - A Spanish silver coin, used from the 15th century up through the 1870s.
SAIL YARD - A cylindrical mast timber used to carry sails. Sail yards was attached to the mast.
MASTHEAD - A beam as an extension of a mast, fore-mast-head; foremast mast head.
THALER - A silver coin which was minted for the first time in 1518 in Bohemia with a weight equal to 28g. Beginning from 1555 it was a currency unit of North German state and later in Prussia and Saxony. The name "thaler" applied to silver coins from Italy, Netherlands, Spain and other countries. Of particular note is the Spanish dollar, or "piece of eight", worth eight reales.
A KNOT - Out of system velocity measuring unit, used to identify vessels speed. 1 knot corresponds to 1 sea mile per hour or 1.852 km/h - 0.5144 m/sec*
JIBBOOM - Mast timber that extends a bowsprit.
SPLASHBOARD - A light fencing of the open deck.
FLAGSTAFF - A vertical pole, used to lift the flag.
FILIBUSTERS - Sea bandits who acted in the Caribbean sea, involved in robbery of Spanish ships, coastal towns and settlements. (See Buccaneers for more information) Other names include "freeboaters" or "flyboaters", named after the light ships used to launch attacks.
FOREMAST - A frontal mast.
FRIGATE - A three-masted ship with square sail rig. In the navy, a 6 or 5th class vessel with either an old, two decked gundeck design, or a longer, more modern frigate with one continous gundeck well above the waterline. Frigates was famous for their great speed despite their larger size, but carried enough firepower, and armed crew to act or explore alone.
QUARTERDECK //was duplicated o_O for some reason, in different places, merged the two text//- The uppermost structure or a deck in the rear butt end of the sail ship where officers on duty and compasses located. Later, the quarterdeck was the part of the upper deck of a military ship between of the main mast and mizzen mast. The quarterdeck was considered as a place of honor on the ship: it was the place of announcing manifests, decrees, orders and sentences. It was forbidden to sit and smoke for everybody except the commander (skipper) of the ship.
WAIST DECK - Broad planks, placed horizontally along the boards of a sailing vessel. They serve for passage from the foredeck to the quarterdeck.
WAIST - The sides of the vessel. //Waist deck was duplicated to here...//
SLOOP - A small, classless, one-masted vessel with fore and aft sails.
English Navy special versions:
Brig-rigged-sloop: (brig-sloop) a small vessel with two masts carrying square sails. A bit smaller, or a same size as a merchant brig, mutch smaller than a frigate.
Ship-rigged-sloop: (ship-sloop) a small, or merchant brig sized vessel, , mutch smaller than a frigate, with three masts, carrying square sails.
(For a special kind of ship-sloop see Corvette.)

TRANSVERSE RIB - A crosswise frame of the ship assembly to ensure lateral strength of the ship.
STAY - A vertical rope rigging, placed along the lateral axial (diametric) plane of the ship and used to anchor one of the masts and spars in the fore section.
SQUADRON - A unit (formation) of combat ships, of various classes.
AFTERDECK - The part of a ship's deck amidships, toward the stern. In many ships, its location forms a "poop deck", which in fact is an equivalent of the afterdeck.

Hello capt. Wolf

Tnx for your time.

My character Nicolaas is the guy with the highest navigational skill (89). Im level 12. I play with commodore difficulty. I dont have navigator employed. I remember playing with la Licorne ship in previous game and even with full haul she never had manueverability 0.00. And it was same difficulty i think.

With nightmare class ship the same problem in new game (also i reinstalled the game).

And savegame;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi08e1notmy9bnt/Babadok Martinique - Sea?dl=0

I hope its done right. Just started using dropbox. :)

Back