• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

What cannon damage are you playing on?

I have reduced the sail and crew damage the balls do now, so getting up close and personal means your at risk of been hit with grapes which will devestate your crew or bombs which will do some damage to your crew but not as heavily as the grapes.

To really demast a ship with the forts (if thats how you want to test it, go into "Program\STORE == initGoods" and edit the following line of code and increase the samagerig = value to 15 for the cannon damage you are playing with, you could alway's reduce the hull damage so the balls are more like the knipple shot for your test game.

Code:
 Goods[GOOD_BALLS].SpeedV0  = 1.0;
 if(RTBL == 1) // = If RTBL is enabled
 {
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull = 6.0;
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig = 0.1;
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew = 0.2;
 } else if(RTBL == 2) {
  //new midway damage
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull = 7.0;
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig = 0.15;
  Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew = 0.6;
 } else {
  //original damage
 Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull = 8.0;
 Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig  = 0.25;
 Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew = 0.9;
 }
For example your test game could use the RTBL ==1 settings, then your normal game could use one of the other's. This means you could do as i said increase damagerig = 15.0 and it won't effect your main game because you'll not be using RTBL ==1 you'll be using RTBL ==2 or original damage.
Thanks for the updated Lyon, yes she was the version from GOF 1.2 i just added her from there because she's a class 7 ship and she's a nice ship.

I had both games on "realistic" but after reading this I changed "tester" to "original". I don't want to be changing things I don't understand.

Yeah, it seems that some of the newer ships were dropped into COAS unchanged from what the modelers delivered. That is not a good idea as they work from the plans which were sometimes completely unrealistic. The Castel F1 is a good example of that as it never made it into POTC.
Here are my favorite before and after screenies.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/z7JtvYEQXU/POTC screenies/FWzP before.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/XVO3HgxQu6/POTC screenies/FWzP after.jpg

Ok, so I finally found the ship "Arrow" for the Double barreled musket quest but there seemes to be a bug...after you go back to the guy and give him the gun he oins your crew, but doesn't have the musketon in inventory...only his fists...the gun just disappears...he walks around as if he has it in hand but he doesn't....I noticed that he doesn't have the "Shootist" sperk (don't know if it is the name - just the one that ollows you to use doulbe barreled firearms) - could that be the issue?

@ Hylie Pistof
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull = 6.0;
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig = 0.1; (changing this to 15.0 will increase the damage to rigging from balls for RTBL == 1. RTBL ==2 is for the inbetween cannon damage switch.
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew = 0.2;
So if you play with realistic then the above will change the damage to rigging, if playing with inbetween or COAS default, then the damage to rigging will remain as it was (not edited). If you want i will change it for you so you the forts can blow the masts away for your test game and your main game remain the same as it is now?

@ Markr
Not sure, but i suspect that he was changed in GOF1.2 to use a different musket which is why he isn't showing up with it. I will have to check and see whats up with that.

I just got up and am on me first mug O' coffee but.............
For that game I set it to original damage and then set damage to :
hull = 1.0
rig= 0.55
crew = 0.1

What I got in game was the crew was still gone after the first salvo, the hull stayed good, and the sails would drop fast down to about 2/3rds of the way down and just stop. Eventually the hull would start to show damage but whenever the sails took a hit the blue bar would flicker, but not go down.
I checked the hold to make sure there was no sailcloth and made sure my character has no repair perks, and still the sails would not go below a certain damage level.
When other ships were around they would park next to mine and just blast the hull, so they were no help at all.
15.0 eh?

great work!!!!!
easy install.
improved the sailors wage.
improved the selling ships without cannons.
improved the ship encounters.. great work..
the radar is realistic.
wind direction only visible on flag?? Great idea.
and lot of things i cant remember right now.
had the mod some time but no time to install and test.
one bad thing is the deal with the cheap store wares, delivery missions mostly you can throw overboard and buy for little at destination.....

playing on impossible & like in hardcore mode with one life gof 1.1 starting as pirate was impossible.
gof 2 is great improvemet in atmosphere..

great guys....if you need help with further mods....give me a call.

Playing as a merchant is much more difficult now. After 11 months game time in the starter ship, the Edinburgh Trader/bounty, I finally grabbed a surrendered ship, a merchant brig. (Speedy1) The larger hold gave me enough extra money to hire my first officer. Could not afford them before.

Sea combat is not worth the bother. Other ships get off 3-4 salvos to every one my untrained crew can manage. This leaves me with no crew or sails so they then board and kill me. Game over.

I just got up and am on me first mug O' coffee but.............
For that game I set it to original damage and then set damage to :
hull = 1.0
rig= 0.55
crew = 0.1

What I got in game was the crew was still gone after the first salvo, the hull stayed good, and the sails would drop fast down to about 2/3rds of the way down and just stop. Eventually the hull would start to show damage but whenever the sails took a hit the blue bar would flicker, but not go down.
I checked the hold to make sure there was no sailcloth and made sure my character has no repair perks, and still the sails would not go below a certain damage level.
When other ships were around they would park next to mine and just blast the hull, so they were no help at all.
15.0 eh?

You can set crew = 0.1 down to 0.01, that will drastically lower the amount of crew killed. In fact you should be able to use 0.0.

Yeah 15.0 should work, or if not as high, then try 7.0. For my sail tests i find it easier to give my officer a ship and then pull out of harbour before turning about to blast the sails away lol.

great work!!!!!
easy install.
improved the sailors wage.
improved the selling ships without cannons.
improved the ship encounters.. great work..
the radar is realistic.
wind direction only visible on flag?? Great idea.
and lot of things i cant remember right now.
had the mod some time but no time to install and test.
one bad thing is the deal with the cheap store wares, delivery missions mostly you can throw overboard and buy for little at destination.....

playing on impossible & like in hardcore mode with one life gof 1.1 starting as pirate was impossible.
gof 2 is great improvemet in atmosphere..

great guys....if you need help with further mods....give me a call.

Your welcome bud, good to see you like the mod.:onya

The merchant quest prices was lowered and goods prices increased slightly (for realistic costs), i will have to lower the store owners offer for the trade quests a little more then and increase the cost of the slaves (its cheaper to buy slaves than it is to hire crew). If you haven't already, install the latest patch "patch 2.0.7" (before you get into a game, because it requires a new game).

Playing as a merchant is much more difficult now. After 11 months game time in the starter ship, the Edinburgh Trader/bounty, I finally grabbed a surrendered ship, a merchant brig. (Speedy1) The larger hold gave me enough extra money to hire my first officer. Could not afford them before.

Sea combat is not worth the bother. Other ships get off 3-4 salvos to every one my untrained crew can manage. This leaves me with no crew or sails so they then board and kill me. Game over.

If your ship can only mount 4Ibs, then try mounting 4Ibs culverines, if you can mount higher calibure then mount cannon as this will reduce the reload times a lot and while your crew are so low skilled its important to have the quicker loading times from the cannons then the long ones from the culverines. A perfect example, whats the point in having culverines when your crew take for ever to load them and when they are loaded you can't hit a anything than the sea around the ship your aiming for? at least with the cannons, it doesn't matter if you miss because you know it won't take long for the guns to be reloaded, i strongly recomend not going above 8Ibs cannons on till your crew are better at loading them and you have a gunnery officer in place.

is there a patch from 1.2 to 2.0?
because 2gb is too big for me and my internet connection :(

No sorry bud there isn't. What you could do is leave GOF2 downloading while your sleeping, and install it on a fresh copy of COAS the following day (this is how i alway's do it).:yes

Well, I got my silly self into an unwinnable situation and when I decided to go back to an earlier save and try again, I found that I only had one save for that game. So I wuz stuck. COAS was overwriting the newest save instead of the oldest save. :rumgone
So I deleted all saves and started a new game. It looks like it is saving ok now as every time I look there are more saves.

I alway's save manually, i tend to have 2 saves for harbours and 2 saves for the world map and 1 save for boarding battles. I rotate between them, so if i pull into a port i save the game, then before i exit the port i save again. I don't use the quick save at all.

Recently for the first time I started new game on hardcore mode. I really recommend it, it's completely new experience when your choices really matter.

Luke, how did you set merchant mission rewards??

Recently for the first time I started new game on hardcore mode. I really recommend it, it's completely new experience when your choices really matter.

Luke, how did you set merchant mission rewards??

Go to, Program\DIALOGS\russian == Common_Store.c and look for the following.

Code:
        //realistic costs switch added to store owner quests prices by Luke159
           iQuantityGoods = iQuantityGoods - rand(makeint(iQuantityGoods/3)) - 10;
      if(!Realistic_Costs) // = If Realistic Costs is NOT enabled
      {
           iMoney = makeint((iQuantityGoods * sti(Goods[iTradeGoods].Weight) / sti(Goods[iTradeGoods].Units)) * (4+rand(3) + GetSummonSkillFromNameToOld(pchar, SKILL_COMMERCE)) + 0.5);
      }
      else // = If Realistic Costs IS enabled
      {
          iMoney = makeint((iQuantityGoods * sti(Goods[iTradeGoods].Weight) / sti(Goods[iTradeGoods].Units)) * (1+rand(-1) + GetSummonSkillFromNameToOld(pchar, SKILL_COMMERCE)) + 0.5);
      }

Increasing the following value's for realistic costs enabled, will increase the amount you will make from the merchant quests.

(1+rand(-1) // was (4+rand(3)

Yes sadly it is a bug, but its a vanilla bug that for some reason we could never fix in any of the cm or GOF mods.;(

Back