• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Go with the story or go Free Play

What Story do you play?

• Total voters

cbb018

Sailor Apprentice
Just recently installed mod 14 and it was nice but are the storylines working? I want it to be free play no story I just do what i want but there is no option of that in the new game screen. So instead i tried some of the stories. On bartolomue i can't even finish the first quest so i just played it as i want to, didn't bother to do the quest but will that have a toll like i have read to be able to encounter the man o war is that your in the hmm later part of the quest? So can i just ask what other players do, what story they play?

Best thing for non-storyline play is to launch New Horizons and permanently ignore the main quest (meaning not to inform governor Silehard on Redmond/Jamaica about French attack on Oxbay/Speightstown). Other storylines are mostly unfinished.

pirate_kk

If you want to do freeplay ( without a story ) then use either Master & Commander or the Devlin storylines.

Master & Commander has no story - all there is, is one quest book entry - then you are on your own to do whatever you want.

If you want an earlier time-period (with earlier ships ) use either of the Devlin storys ( there is a short bit of quest that just stops - so it can safely be ignored completely) and do what you want.

All the others have quests and are finished as far as they go - you can do freeplay in them, but if you do too much it will stop the story lines from working.

Best thing for non-storyline play is to launch New Horizons and permanently ignore the main quest (meaning not to inform governor Silehard on Redmond/Jamaica about French attack on Oxbay/Speightstown). Other storylines are mostly unfinished.

pirate_kk

I've done this with all the builds, I just forget about the main quest, raise the colours and just raid & pillage towns & convoys.

Nobody is forcing you to follow any of the stories and you can always do free play by just ignoring it.
The only storyline where this isn't going to work very well is Horatio Hornblower.

Yes. It is a big ocean out there. Go where you want and do what you can. :shoot:

Does anyone else think we should have a totally free-play 'storyline', for which you can set the time period...? :shrug
My thinking is that, right now, you can't do anything you want to in every time period, which might ruin things for those who prefer free play.

Or does this bring back to mind the whole idea of 'Choose your character, ship, difficulty and time period, and then do as you wish...'?
Besides, this kind of option might make testing a whole lot easier in some cases. :cheeky

Does anyone else think we should have a totally free-play 'storyline', for which you can set the time period...? :shrug
My thinking is that, right now, you can't do anything you want to in every time period, which might ruin things for those who prefer free play.

Or does this bring back to mind the whole idea of 'Choose your character, ship, difficulty and time period, and then do as you wish...'?
Besides, this kind of option might make testing a whole lot easier in some cases. :cheeky

Yes, that bring us back to the "customize interface" that we left in Build 13 for the "Choose Storyline" interface... it needs to make its come back some day, but is someone working on that?

In my mind, we would have all storylines customizable to some extent, and one 'storyline' without story or main quest, but fully customizable. That one we'd call "New Horizon".

Pirate_KK had such an interface in the works and partly finished. We need to convinve him to finish it. I DO still want that functionality back!!!

I don't understand what you guys are talking about ... was that the interface where you could choose your starting ship and skin? If so I always wondered why that wasn't carried on into the build 14 series ... miss playing as that peter pan villain .. can't remember his name (looked like Barbarossa except red and gold outfit)

We lost it in favour of Select Storyline. NOT on purpose, I might add; the two just weren't compatible.
That's why we wanted to put something new in place that'd do the same thing, but so far it hasn't happened yet. :modding

New Horizons in my opinion. It has the least amount of bugs and annoying glitches like Bartolomeu's storylines tend to have, but I think that he is the most original when it comes to fun and straightforward gameplay, but I have had WAY to many problems on Assassin and Bartolomeu (just a side question, did Bartolomeu become a monk later in life because on Nevis there is a monk named Bartolomeu el Portugal and even a monk named Rock Brasilianno). Also New Horizons has the most replay value. Why is Nathaniel Hawk's storyline called New Horizons though as it really isn't anything "new". We could at least call it Official Campaign or Original Campaign. They aren't very original names, but we are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things. Ha ha.

I usually stick with New Horizons so I can Free Play without having to (nuch) worry about breaking the quests. I like the other story lines, but I'm always worried I'll break something if I go off on my own. xD:

I normally play New Horizons and just follow the story line if I happen to be there anyway. It is the most forgiving in that respect, but I get tired of seeing the same old VCO ships over and over. I recently played the Assassin quest and enjoyed it. There are ships there that I had not seen in game before. Gotta look into the Devlin Opera now. :keith

no, happens that when i enter a brirttish town, everyone asks me for papers (brittish flag), (kingston (port royale) for example... and sometimes, dunno why, i get knocked down and revive in a creepy tavern...

but I have had WAY to many problems on Assassin and Bartolomeu (just a side question, did Bartolomeu become a monk later in life because on Nevis there is a monk named Bartolomeu el Portugal and even a monk named Rock Brasilianno).
The most funny is all the quests I release are tested and work. :shrug
About the Rock Braziliano and Bartolomeu monks we need in the future to remove them from my both main quests. :facepalm

Why not rename them in ALL main quests? That'd be easiest, no?

And Bartolomeu is right; his quests DID work fine when released. I tested them. Haven't double-checked for a while but there's no particular reason they shouldn't work.

As for the "New Horizons" name I agree it isn't the right name for the storyline.
Anyone who can come up with something more appropriate, please say!
I always refer to it as the "Standard" storyline anyway, because that's the code folder's name. :shrug

Back