• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I wish I would have taken the time to just dig out and find the password to the FTP. I paid for the Mediafire account but it seems to be giving me as many problems as Rapidshare did. It will take 10 minutes just for me to log in and then it won't show my files until I do all kinds of voodoo magic trying to refresh the page. What a popstand outfit. For a big cloud provider that is supposed to be "number 1" I can't believe they can't get their &*^t together.

I put a help desk ticket in about their crappy GUI yesterday and have yet to get an answer.

I gave a presentation the year before last as the keynote speaker at a big IT conference in Orlando. I have never been asked back because of my negative views on cloud computing and virtualization in games and simulation. This is exactly why I think its bad. You rely on someone else for YOUR stuff. In a situation where thousands are relying on it for some key life and death, time sensitive capability I have to laugh at government's over-reliance on the cloud - literally forcing a huge segment of their enterprise to use it. How dumb and how vulnerable is that in the current world?

Sorry to rant but this just pisses me. I hate DRM and I hate over reliance on the cloud. There is a happy medium there but that's not where the industry is going and they will be sorry one of these days mark my words.

When I get it all sorted out I will put a good link up.

@Luke McReady: Well I am actually from the Northwest and raised there, but a large part of my family are from the south and I have spent the greater part of my life in the south because of a long military career. I have even been told by family that I have a southern accent and I tell them its not a southern accent....its the Army accent.

MK
Can you make the file 200mb each? cause the maximum speed of my net is 100kb/s

Can you make the file 200mb each? cause the maximum speed of my net is 100kb/s

Ummmm no......maybe if I were like the Wizard of Oz or magic. :razz

Not even a torrent is going to get them to that size unless I broke it into a dozen pieces or more. :whipa

ERAS seems to run fine. Early on I got into a couple of battles next to forts and let the forts sink them. When they lost a mast and then sunk there was some POTC style GA and after the 1st one it CTDed, but since then nothing has gone wrong. Of course I have not sunk any ships although I did get into two battles where I boarded them and took them. So maybe there is a glitch when sinking and maybe not. :shrug

Music is personal preference. I prefer folk music on period instruments where appropriate. The below decks party in the movie "Titanic" was a seminal moment for me and I am still more or less there. Some prefer modern music, period music on modern instruments, period music, whatever. Make yourself happy.

MK is in the process of moving from Southern Texas to the Great North West.

Ummmm no......maybe if I were like the Wizard of Oz or magic. :razz

Not even a torrent is going to get them to that size unless I broke it into a dozen pieces or more. :whipa
I mean the software like HJSplit cause I can't download that 6gb file cause if I get DC I'll start over again. Sorry if I ask too much I just want to try your mod :(

ERAS seems to run fine. Early on I got into a couple of battles next to forts and let the forts sink them. When they lost a mast and then sunk there was some POTC style GA and after the 1st one it CTDed, but since then nothing has gone wrong. Of course I have not sunk any ships although I did get into two battles where I boarded them and took them. So maybe there is a glitch when sinking and maybe not. :shrug

Music is personal preference. I prefer folk music on period instruments where appropriate. The below decks party in the movie "Titanic" was a seminal moment for me and I am still more or less there. Some prefer modern music, period music on modern instruments, period music, whatever. Make yourself happy.

Yeah the mast crash bug is still there but not near as bad. What it will do is start flickering instead of crashing. If you save a lot and reload a few times you can prevent a lot of that in battles. The good news is that you can actually play through an entire battle. I hope the MP3 conversion will make it even better.

On the alternate music I don't plan to put 18th thru 20th century sea shanties in the game because they aren't correct. However I have found some good folk music from the 17th century that will go in at the taverns and some shipyards and towns. The rest of the music will be movie style, like Cutthroat Island, The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood. Here's an example of one of the new folk tracks I'm using...

[/quote]

PotC style GA has ZERO business being in CoAS. CoAS does NOT have the PotC Different Flags mod or anything even remotely resembling it. :shock

Modernknight, perhaps you can use the FTP from now on for updates?

Anyway, I'm trying to download that huge file of yours again, but it takes a LONG time. Seriously 6 GB is friggin' huge, huge, HUGE!
Then I'll be seeing if that installer EXE appears to be working. Probably see if I can incorporate your update too, so it doesn't need to be manually installed.

Anyway, I'm trying to download that huge file of yours again, but it takes a LONG time. Seriously 6 GB is friggin' huge, huge, HUGE!
Cancel that. I don't even HAVE 6 GB hard drive space anymore. I'm going to have to clean up. :facepalm

Yep sorry. But it will be better. I myself played through one of the best most historically correct battles ever last night. Wish I had screens. Had no crashes. I did reload one time when the sounds went fubar and had perfect sound through the rest of the battle. That one battle which lasted a good hour and a half made the whole two year modding effort worth it.

MK

Only if you are playing on the VERY hardest difficulty can you only save in church. Otherwise you can save anywhere at anytime. Simply push F6 for the quicksave during battles. I encourage people actually do an escape, save, save in new window, before going into battle so that if a corrupt save happens when boarding you have a back up save. This doesn't happen often but when it does it can cost a lot of time and lost gameplay.

I would encourage playing on Corsair level which is a little over halfway up the difficulty settings. Keep in mind that your game is set to autosave each time you have a boarding encounter unless you're playing on the hardest settting. So you can play it over again on that autosave if things go badly.

MK

Thanks, it appears I still have a lot to learn as I don't know what difficulty level I'm playing at. :pirate07: All I know is that the save option is greyed out everywhere but in church.

There is a lot to learn, but it doesn't take long. I am actually thinking about doing a Lets Play tutorial on GOF sword fighting and posting to YouTube once I get to my destination. The reason for this is that uninitiated players often get very frustrated with swordplay. That's because unless you understand all of the different moves you can make the enemy have advantages over you.

So fighting will allow you to level up faster than any other single thing in the game. Remember you can block and parry and that you have numerous different attacks. The different parries allow you to totally evade your enemy and put him off balance.

For starters your center button or wheel on the mouse allows for a powerful overhand downwards slash. Only use this when an enemy has fired a weapon, is out of breath(no blue), or has made a mistake that they have to recover from like an overhead slash that you evaded. That means they have to take extra time to get reset before they can block or attack again and the overhead slash takes extra time to commit. That slash will break all guards they put up even from the strongest heavy weapons.

The space bar is your friend. That is your block. Keep your thumb on it and quickly learn to tap it and tap/hold it between attacks to cover up.

Your right and left mouse keys allow for different attacks. Right is usually a thrust and faster. Left is a slash...a bit more powerful but takes a fraction of a second longer and just a tiny bit more of your breath(blue energy).

Learn to watch how much energy your opponent has and you have. If you've run out you must block and wait to catch your breath. Often you have just enough energy to right click thrust after every enemy attack to counter him before blocking again.

Also remember that this is where the type and weight of the weapon has a lot of bearing. The heavier the weapon the less skill you have on light medium or heavy weapons, the quicker you will run out of breath(blue energy).

I keep my left pinkey finger close to the left shift key because thats how I will evade the enemies brutal overhead slashes on me when I have run out of breath(blue energy). When you see him committing to that attack quickly push your shift key down while simultaneously hitting your right mouse button and you will go into a fancy little parry evasion animation that differs between RPCs. Some have more than one and will parry to the left and right. You can use this at any time as well against their ordinary attacks.

Your last attack is the wide sweeping slash (or double slash) and sweeping half slash. The double slash is pinkey on left shift key combined with your left mouse button. This is useful for throwing back and hitting multiple opponents. The half slash is simply faster and you just push your space bar to block after the slash goes halfway through. This is a good move to make to keep an enemy from having a successful attack on one of your officers and can help keep them alive when you're in a heavy melee.

Last remember you can still sidestep and step to the rear. With this combination of moves I find GOF swordplay to be awesome!.....especially when you get good at it. I own the best of opponents as a beginner character just starting out with a poor weapon.

Just as in real fencing, carefully watching your opponents and your own timing and space is everything. I have had some really ultra realistic fights when I have used all of these considerations combined.

Keep in mind that I tailored Era's weapons with all these things in mind so that not only do you have huge variety but you also have a ton of different weights and lethality to consider. I have yet to decide which weapon is my favorite. I have narrowed it down. Just because the weapon has higher numbers does not always mean its the best weapon. Weight coupled with the lethality numbers coupled with your skill determines the optimal solution at any given time. Then there's always personal preference as well because there are some really beautiful weapons to find and choose.

I am definitely going to make that video. I have talked myself into it.

MK

Last edited:
I can't wait to be able to try it. Every year or two I need my dose of pirating and this is always where I come to get my fix ;P

A torrent would be really welcome, no need for multiple files because torrents can always be resumed if there is a loss in connection. I tryed downloading the file lots of time, I'm over 10gigs downloaded but still don't have it because mediafire don't support resuming of downloads.
For those who don't like torrents there is still the mediafire option....

Thanks again for the great work! I'll be waiting for other download options.

What I need to learn is how to save somewhere besides in church. I started a new game and made sure it was set to Captain difficulty, but the only place to save is in a church. I just blew 5 hours real time playing because I could not save. I either die or once, the game crashed during a sea battle.

You can call me Sir Diesalot all you want, but I need to be able to save very often.

i am still not actualy playing the game because i have to choose which ships im going to keep and which one to remove because the design difference is still too strong and some ships appear way too modern compared to majority of other for instance

the 96 english first rate
that order secondo, cant realy be sure now but i remebered it looked prety modern
the english 64 gunner also looks way too 1700's
maybe that english 5th rater also

So i dont know yet which ships to remove ...i wish for a game that feels like 1650-1680s since that was your intention, and you built the uniforms and items around that time and mayority of ships are from that period and seeing those ships ( and too often ) ruins the experience for me now...

Hello modernknight1 and everyone,

Its been a few years since I played AOP COAS and am now returning to check things out. Looks like a good time with this release. I read the Read Me but there is no installation instructions included otherwise an excellent read with a reward attached.

So specifically here what I did to get it to install.

1) I had no trouble downloading with Chrome.
2) I have the DVD for COAS and had to install a clean copy on C:\AOP not in Program files for Windows 7.
3) TAGES is the protection system and I needed to update the drivers for the install to work.
4) I downloaded Beta 2 and update and I'm using JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler install these.

Thanks, I'm really excited about this and appreciative all the hours you put into this. Hope to give you feedback soon.

Gene

What I need to learn is how to save somewhere besides in church. I started a new game and made sure it was set to Captain difficulty, but the only place to save is in a church. I just blew 5 hours real time playing because I could not save. I either die or once, the game crashed during a sea battle.

You can call me Sir Diesalot all you want, but I need to be able to save very often.

Hylie, I am at a complete loss why this is happening to you. I actually put in a brand new install and added the mod to it fresh to see if I could recreate it on a different computer. I was going to try out Pieter's installer but was more concerned about your problem. I can save just fine so I am really confused. Have you tried F6? Are you going to escape and then pressing save?

Also do you have "hardcore game" checked when you started with your character? Hardcore game will make it to where you can only save in church. Make certain you DO NOT CHECK or uncheck hardcore game.

Again make certain when you select your character and check the different options below the character's portrait that you ensure Hardcore Game is NOT selected.

Is anyone else having this problem?

MK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back