• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it is saying that GOF ERAS2.7z is not in the folder, but it is. Which folder is the installer looking in? The installer folder where it is, or the COAS folder where it is not?

MK, I'd just like to remind you of what I said in the news thread:

I presume it would be useful to have a link to this thread for key updates? All I need is the logo and I can set up the links ASAP to give your mod a little more exposure. ;)

Not just yet I think Armada. Too many complaints from the peanut gallery. My beta testers each took a main quest and they all worked. Now I have people telling me that they can't do the FD quest or the main pirate quest. I don't know if this is because they are skipping a step or doing something wrong or something is bugged so I am going to play them all myself or have Kipper help me. I am very fast so it won't take that long.

However with the other complaints and ridicule even I think I'm pulling the mod down shortly. I will unpin the topic, delete the links and announcements, as well as add a "mod delayed until further notice" posting on all germane topics.

I'm so sorry I wasted so many peoples time.

Maybe one of these days I will be able to finish it properly. It was after all mostly me doing all the work.

MK

Wha? I may have been looking in the wrong places, but I didn't see any ridicule and only a few "complaintey" comments.
From what I gather, people generally like your work very much!

You can't get it perfect. Especially not on first try. In the case of PotC, not even in ten years.
People may have comments. But that does not mean they don't enjoy it. Or that they don't appreciate it.
If you address any comments they do have, you're doing the absolute best you can.
And people do appreciate that. I know I do, even if I don't have the time to play. :onya

Now it is saying that GOF ERAS2.7z is not in the folder, but it is. Which folder is the installer looking in? The installer folder where it is, or the COAS folder where it is not?
It checks in the same folder the installer EXE is in.
Are you sure you have the 7-Zip file named exactly "GOF ERAs2.7z"? I just tested it and I don't get that error message. o_O

This is what I have in the installer folder.

ERAS installer folder.jpg

Where is the EXE file? You have to take it out of the ZIP before running it.
The only reason it is in a ZIP is because otherwise I can't upload it to the forum.

Maybe one of these days I will be able to finish it properly. It was after all mostly me doing all the work.
I dare say nobody's time has been wasted. A mostly-playable mod is better than no mod at all, isn't it?

I was playing today Combined and GOF mods and realized the shortcomings are due to the vanilla game. The wind for instance is screwed everywhere. Plus using F11 cheatpage fixes things up. The mod is better than all coases and has to be just updated where necessary.

Well, it finished installing, I tinkered with the engine.ini, and then played the game for a bit. It seems to work! Now you also have an idea of what you average user would do, so you can design it to be more foolproof. :pirate07:

Well, it finished installing, I tinkered with the engine.ini, and then played the game for a bit. It seems to work! Now you also have an idea of what you average user would do, so you can design it to be more foolproof. :pirate07:
Well, I won't put it in a ZIP for the "final" one of course. Better on the FTP.

Not just yet I think Armada. Too many complaints from the peanut gallery. My beta testers each took a main quest and they all worked. Now I have people telling me that they can't do the FD quest or the main pirate quest. I don't know if this is because they are skipping a step or doing something wrong or something is bugged so I am going to play them all myself or have Kipper help me. I am very fast so it won't take that long.

However with the other complaints and ridicule even I think I'm pulling the mod down shortly. I will unpin the topic, delete the links and announcements, as well as add a "mod delayed until further notice" posting on all germane topics.

MK

What is it with the news today? First I hear the lead systems dev for WoW is leaving to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting" and now this..

So first things first.. AFAIK those quests were buggy since vanilla COAS. Second, this is the best thing that's happened to COAS modding in a long time and probably the only hope of breathing some life into it but I get it. Your work. Your time. Your decision.

But what really caught my interest here is.. this your first time on the internet MK? Because judging from your join date you've been around here for some years now. So you must know by now that those comments aren't gonna go away anytime soon, which leads me to think: are you really a perfectionist as Pieter thinks? Is it fear of failure, coz this ain't the first time you were having second thoughts about continuing or even putting out your work here? Maybe you're just burnt out or maybe its something you can't really share with the general audience...
Regardless of your reason I don't believe you should just pin it on the community like that. We are not all the same.
Talking things over usually helps.. sometimes.

Peace:xmas

So first things first.. AFAIK those quests were buggy since vanilla COAS. Second, this is the best thing that's happened to COAS modding in a long time and probably the only hope of breathing some life into it but I get it. Your work. Your time. Your decision.

Peace:xmas

Maybe if more people had said something like this instead of throwing stones at me when I was just doing this as a hobby for fun I wouldn't have pulled it. The fact is that the mod has been downloaded over 300 times which tells me that everyone that wants it has it already. Add to this that very few of them downloaded the update or the LAi_boarding file that I left posted BTW, so their games are completely FUBAR. Boarding and surrender are NEVER going to work correctly in their games and they will just get worse the higher they level up.

So if people are willing to DL it but not read up on whats going on with updates - they are just going to assume the mod's all "F&c^'d up" and that's on me. So I might as well fix it - right?

I already told everyone I'm making a patch1 around Christmas. I will just re-release the mod as smaller, better and with more fixes and even some more ships and reskins that aren't in this version. Some of the newest characters are really gonna get attention I think.

I worked in IT for years in charge of huge enterprises. I have been the subject of darts, hate, and ridicule. I have even been a scapegoat - but I always eventually came out on top blameless and the hero - despite everything against me. Last year I retired from the Army as a Colonel after 24 years. When I left the Pentagon I was taking anxiety medication and was measured with 48 inches of scar tissue during my disability eval. I looked in the mirror and didn't like the mean dominant cut throat I had become and wanted to see a version of me as I was in my twenties again. That's a huge reason I left service - I could have easily stayed.

All this to say that I don't need this kind of crap with something that's meant to be for my fun and diversion. So if people want this like I see them wanting all the gushy fansite BS for all this AC4 crap then they better tell me, cause otherwise I aint sharin no more.

If they are sending comments or requests by e-mail I won't answer or even open them if the subject line doesn't say something nice. Since when have people become such &^%holes?

MK

Last edited:
Just know that if you make the next update 7-Zip archive exactly the same, you can reuse the EXE installer to go with it. :yes

If you're concerned about lack of people downloading the update files, know that is also nothing weird.
For PotC Build 14 Beta 3, there is a Part 1 and Part 2. BOTH are required to correctly install.
Part 1 has been downloaded 4100 times since its release; Part 2 has been downloaded 5,271 times.
So there would be 1000 people who are missing the actual installer. Yup, that's weird. And stupid. And silly.
But it is also their problem. I'm not going to get worked up over it. :shrug

Wha? I may have been looking in the wrong places, but I didn't see any ridicule and only a few "complaintey" comments.
From what I gather, people generally like your work very much!

You can't get it perfect. Especially not on first try. In the case of PotC, not even in ten years.
People may have comments. But that does not mean they don't enjoy it. Or that they don't appreciate it.
If you address any comments they do have, you're doing the absolute best you can.
And people do appreciate that. I know I do, even if I don't have the time to play. :onya

Mate I played this Mod from Dawn to 1 o'clock in the morning yesterday, I had Fewer Crashes than Vanilla COAS. and absolutely no glitches or bugs that weren't my own damn fault.

With the exception of a notification coming up during battle saying: "Wrong Index, Incorrect Index is -1" Only happened occasionally and didn't seem like it affected anything at all that I could notice. Some times the Cannons on my Marine Francaise Xebec wouldn't fire but that was just a matter of going into 1st person and kicking them manually till they broke loose and then they were fine.

Honestly as far as the main quest goes... I don't even know if I've ever played it. is that the one with Henry Morgan or something different?

Anyhow the Mod is wonderful and a great new addition mate I've had nothing but an addictive good time with it. But I understand that you want it to be perfect. So if you do take it down for awhile thanks for letting us get a hold of it before that happens mate.

I hope I'm not one of those "complainy" ones. I have been playing ERAS as a play tester, looking for bugs. That is what I have been doing for years in POTC.
I also gladly helped when allowed to and would like to help a little more.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Oh yeah I forgot to say that! Happy Thanksgivin' Y'all! Talk to you boys this afternoon gotta go eat with the Clan :doff

The fact is that the mod has been downloaded over 300 times which tells me that everyone that wants it has it already.
Please remember that this mod hasn't exactly been heavily advertised like we would normally do for the Build Mod, so chances are that there are a LOT of other people out there who don't even know about the mod but would be interested in it. This is why I'm trying to help advertise it, even with something as simple as the forum's notice banner. Heck, we could update the GOF ModDB page, post a release article on both that and the New Horizons ModDB page, and let people know about it on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Then we'd start to get a better idea of how many people want to play this mod.

I want to make sure your mod gets the attention it deserves, because the amount of work you've put into it is absolutely staggering, and the results speak for themselves.
Now, I have a truckload of other things I could be doing, yet I choose to offer my help here. I see Hearts of Oak and New Horizons getting all the attention in various places, and I always feel guilty for excluding GOF: Eras, so I want to do something about that, because it deserves better.

Let me liken this mod to my Rossiya model for a moment. I built that ship partly to replace the stock PotC frigate, but mostly because I wanted to make it.
When I released it for PotC, a lot of people liked it, and there were some that saw problems with it. While it does have flaws, and my inner perfectionist is unsatisfied, I'm proud of the model. I'm proud of what I've achieved, and that other people enjoy sailing the ship. And although I have a LOT to fix and improve for the Hearts of Oak version, that doesn't mean people don't still appreciate the PotC version. Far from it. I would argue that the road to perfection has no end, and we as creators must not travel this road indefinitely. We must sometimes stop so that others may experience our work and we may learn how to proceed. And when we look back at these stops, it should not be in shame, for without them a better product could not exist.

In that regard, I find it disheartening that you wish to keep your mod from the eyes of others just because some have complained about its flaws.
Sometimes those that appreciate it the most are those that say the least.

What Armada said! :cheers

Once I have that Installer EXE working properly, I had definitely hoped to advertise your work on our various promotional profiles.
That's also why I suggested a separate subforum for your work, since it is not really a continuation of the GoF modpack.

We're quite willing to support you. :yes

I sincerely appreciate the kind words and have received several really complimentary e-mails as well. Thank you Mates

I actually have some time today and a good connection. So I will try to repackage everything and upload again. This way no one will need an update. I still haven't had a chance to play a character to the level for accomplishing the Morgan questline or FD quest. He's almost ready to get sunk the 1st time by the FD.

I will know by tonight if the quests work or not and if I can fix them. The only thing that I might have done to screw them up is model substitutions and forgot to tell the quests to see the new models. But my beta testers got through all the quests unless one or two were fibbing.

:shrug

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back