• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Gore/Blood

Sean.Flann

Sailor Apprentice
Unsure if this is possible due to engine limitations but is it possible for gore or blood effects to be added to the game?

I have found that the melee combat in the game seems to be a bit lacking in visual effect of damage done other than a number above their head when hit. It would be nice to see this, as it would show when hit or when the strike is blocked and if a large amount of damaged is caused the effect could be more than if a small hit is made.

I would really like to hear your thoughts,
Sean

Particle effects do exist and in theory I suppose some could be added.
Not sure how good they would look though and lots of them could have a notable effect on game performance.
I am also admittedly no great fan of blood and gore myself at all.

How would the particles that you mentioned look? And how bad would the performance drop be?(also would it be dependant on computer specs or would the engine generally just slow down?) Lastly although some may not be a fan, could there be a option to turn it on or off? (Off course this is dependant on if there is any interest in it apart from me and if someone is willing to code it)

How would the particles that you mentioned look?
Depends on how they're made to look like. @Jack Rackham knows the most about adding extra particles; maybe he has some thoughts.

And how bad would the performance drop be?(also would it be dependant on computer specs or would the engine generally just slow down?)
It would indeed depend on computer specs. How bad depends on how close you are and how long it lasts.
Being right in the middle of the effect is the worst.

Lastly although some may not be a fan, could there be a option to turn it on or off?
For sure. :yes

if someone is willing to code it
It takes a lot of trial-and-error to get some effects to look right and I suspect that if anyone here would have wanted the feature for themselves, we'd have had it by now.
But this sounds like quite a good one to try you hand at it yourself; at least to do some experiments to find out if it is worth the trouble.
In concept it shouldn't be so very complicated to do.

I would definatly be willing to spend time and put effort into making the feature happen however I wouldn't even know where to begin :keith

I would definatly be willing to spend time and put effort into making the feature happen however I wouldn't even know where to begin :keith
PROGRAM\console.c already contains a LOT of code to test various existing particle effects, so you can play around with those.
See here for details on how to use it: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

Then if I recall RESOURCE\INI\particles.ini or something like that contains the particle definitions and you can mess around with those and add new ones and such.

Will defiantly look into this when I get home, any advice for my first time modding :) :sparrow
If you get stuck post your code here and look for places in-game where something similar happens, try to copy that code and change it.
Use
Code:
Int bar = 2;
TraceAndLog("foo "+1 + " " + bar);
To put markers in the code and find out what is happening.

PROGRAM\console.c already contains a LOT of code to test various existing particle effects, so you can play around with those.
Yes all particles can be cycled through. And you'll get a number to keep track of which one is played.

Two additional things that spring to mind:

- PotC DOES have blood effects in one single part of the game: Shotgun Mode.
They are probably triggered through the engine so we cannot control that.
But if it IS defined somewhere in the RESOURCE\INI files, maybe it could be reused for different purposes as well?

- AoP and/or CoAS have a "gore on/off" toggle.
Searching for the relevant code in their PROGRAM folders may indicate where you would need to add your functionality in PotC.

Shotgun mode is first person? And why couldn't we control it if it's available in that mode?

Unfortunately I don't own AoP or CoAS

Shotgun mode is first person? And why couldn't we control it if it's available in that mode?
First person indeed. :yes
It is handled inside the EXE/DLL files somewhere so we can't see the code of the main functionality for that one.

Unfortunately I don't own AoP or CoAS
I could post the code files tonight. That's all you should need.

Woo! I can play any sound at my will by pressing f12 :)

now if it was only as easy as putting in a command playparticleeffect(effect) :p

now if it was only as easy as putting in a command playparticleeffect(effect) :p
If you look further through console.c, you should be able to find some commands that are quite similar to the one you're wishing for.

CreateParticleSystem("gunfire_small" , -66.6, 9.0, 48.7, 5.1, 4.0, 0.0, sti(20) );

OOHHH pweety ... but what do the numbers after the effect mean?

int CreateParticleSystem(string name,float x,float y,float z,
float ax,float ay,float az,int lifetime)

x, y, z = the position.
Don't remember exactly how ax, ay, az works but it has to do with the direction.

If you want any effects played on/at an enemy (target) look in PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_events.c
for ex line 2371:

Code:
GetCharacterPos(&Characters[idx], &a, &b, &c);
                    CreateParticleSystem("canfire2" , a, b+2.0, c, 5.1, b+1.2, 0.0, sti(20) );
                    CreateParticleSystem("gunfire" , a, b+1.8, c, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, sti(20) );    //smoke puff

First the position of the target, then the effects played on that spot.

Back