• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Gore/Blood

Damn it, I just wish I knew how to do it...
@Sean.Flann was looking into it, but he is learning modding from scratch the same as you.
Have a look through the rest of this thread; there are plenty of hints and suggestions posted. :doff

as soon as BETA4 is released I'm planning on writing some tutorials about storm coding to get you guys on theire way.
I might be able to make some already next week depending on how many bugs are being found

But I think I'm first going to write a tutorial about event calls etc because it seems we can gain a lot of performance with that and its hardly used atm.

As long as we get Beta 4 done, I'm OK with (almost) everything.
I want MORE people to be able to test the game, ideally including myself.
Plus I'm beginning to look forward to that reputation/fame/loyalty rework that I've got in mind....

Just to let you guys know that I have uninstalled AoP2. I'm playing Pirate Odyssey at the moment together with New Horizons. Pirate Odyssey was built on Storm Engine 2.8, and it seems very stable so far. If you need files from that engine, just let me know which one you need. Blood is improved, and there are many new features. Engine seems to be in English (which is logical I guess :D), even though the game is in Russian.

Cheers. But unless the particle effects have returned to the old PotC style (unlikely), I doubt much use can be made of any files.
We know from CoAS where the function calls need to be placed to trigger the effects. But without a good effect, there is no point in doing it.
So that still requires a lot of trial-and-error and some artistry to get something that looks good with the PotC system.
And unless @Sean.Flann is still on the case, that means this is once more "Abandoned".

Cheers. But unless the particle effects have returned to the old PotC style (unlikely), I doubt much use can be made of any files.
We know from CoAS where the function calls need to be placed to trigger the effects. But without a good effect, there is no point in doing it.
So that still requires a lot of trial-and-error and some artistry to get something that looks good with the PotC system.
And unless @Sean.Flann is still on the case, that means this is once more "Abandoned".

Ok. With or without blood, the Mod still kicks ass and is better than everything Akella managed to achieve (too bad to say that :D). Pirate Odyssey is awesome, but it only has one storyline (you can choose only one character) and it doesn't have Flags Mod incorporated with it, which is my first condition for a good pirate game. Sea Dogs had similar feature (with great cutscene) when hoisting pirate flag. I don't really understand why the original developers offered the same features in all series...

You could try it yourself if you really want to see it done. I think it is technically not so hard.
And maybe @Jack Rackham could give some support here and there if really needed?

Can't really promise anything. The only time when I was making games was 6-7 years ago when I was using RPG Maker 2000 and Game Maker :D I also had some projects with Adventure Game Studio, but it was long time ago and I wasn't so good with it :)

You could give me some links to check out if I could do anything about it.
The first page of this very thread is a good place to start.
@Sean.Flann already asked a bunch of relevant questions, which we answered there already. ;)

Can't really promise anything. The only time when I was making games was 6-7 years ago when I was using RPG Maker 2000 and Game Maker :D I also had some projects with Adventure Game Studio, but it was long time ago and I wasn't so good with it :)
No worries. You can learn as you go along; we all did. We're happy to support you in making it happen, of course. :doff

I think I started like that too. If you done a little bit with the game maker programming code etc you will actually see it has similarities with potc code.

You can convert them to .tga with the TX converter. Those can be opened with Photoshop for ex.

Is there any way to open and edit tga.tx files?
Open with the tx converter (see here for download link: New Horizons Modding | PiratesAhoy!)
Convert it to a tga file.
You can open tga files with programs like paint.net (free)
If you are done convert them to .tga.tx again with the converter. Note the Settings. In the converter you can see what the source file has for Settings, and match those when converting.

Open with the tx converter (see here for download link: New Horizons Modding | PiratesAhoy!)
Convert it to a tga file.
You can open tga files with programs like paint.net (free)
If you are done convert them to .tga.tx again with the converter. Note the Settings. In the converter you can see what the source file has for Settings, and match those when converting.

I was wondering, maybe I could find the water splash .tga file and than see in the particles.ini which one is used as texture, and than I could play with the variables to make the animation faster.

I was wondering, maybe I could find the water splash .tga file and than see in the particles.ini which one is used as texture, and than I could play with the variables to make the animation faster.
RESOURCE\Textures\splash.tga.tx

I notice that is NOT anywhere in the particles .INI files.
Probably because it is actually animated, it is handled by the game engine, which means we cannot change it.

Back