• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Ajax

Hi, got the new monitor, now i'm working on the bow decorations, i don't know their name in english, in italian they'r called serpi, i made the horizontal ones, but i'm not sure how to make the verticals, any idea?

In english they are the head rails. They were primarily a place to sit while relieving one self.

Sorry don't have any ideas on how to create them.

Thank you.
The pics of the bow:
okpsfr.jpg

34pgk6a.jpg

What do you think?

For you i have to make the underwater part white, wood or with copper plates?

Looks good! The curves do look very curved; be careful not to use too many polygons... :?

The underwater part generally isn't seen very much, so I'd recommend just using what you have now or something. :shrug

Those look pretty good. On ships that were built with beakhead bulkheads the side of the ship flared out at the bulkhead so that the deck was wider than the hull. This extra width helped support the catheads and squared off the foredeck. The deck in front of the beakhead bulkhead was lower than the foredeck and flat. The catheads, from which hang the anchors, usually exit just above the foredeck. The upper headrails usually terminated at or just below the foredeck and the lower headrails were smaller. The use of the beakhead bulkhead fell out of favor in the late 1700's. I believe it mostly because it made for a stronger ship to just carry the cant frames all the way up to the fore deck. The solid framing of the cant frames all the way up to the foredeck strengthened the whole bow of the ship. It also made the ship less susceptible to damage from gunfire by protecting the gundeck and foremast. If you can find them compare drawings of the Continental Frigate Hancock vs the Continental Frigate Randolf. The Hancock was built with out a beakhead bulkhead.

Please keep up the good work. It is greatly appreciated by those of us who cannot.
Greg.

Thank you a lot, now i'm improving the textures of the details, i found a site really good for free textures, then i'll start working on the stern... I'm a bit slow modelling but it's the first...

No problem, take your time Oskar94. Important that this model is exactly how you like them. :onya

The problem is this, for example i've remade the decorations on the bow three times :)

Indeed take your time. Anything you do would be far better than my attempts. I am clueless when it comes to graphics.
Please keep up the good work.

Greg.

Nice attention to detail. But beware of the polycount. If you want the hull made smoother and lower the poly's, I would point you in the direction of ZarethPL. He is the man to ask how its done.

Tool don't read it in x format rightly, may be because it's to heavy? (16mb) :shrug
In deep view and deep exoloration she work ok...
Help!

A very good looking ship you got there, Oskar :)

Hi, got the new monitor, now i'm working on the bow decorations, i don't know their name in english, in italian they'r called serpi, i made the horizontal ones, but i'm not sure how to make the verticals, any idea?

I think the problems is that the lower headrails are wider then the upper ones (it should be the other way round) so you can´t connect them with the vertical rails properly. Do you have a top - down view of the bow section in your plans?

Btw: on most period ships of this size there are three horizontal headrails so they can form a 'basket' (sorry, pretty difficult to describe :p)

Regards,
Bava

Thank's... Bava, how about your frigate? I've got another question, how have i to convert an object from x to gm with tool for make it a meshe for tool? Because i tried but it says that it is a character...

I ve learned how to convert with maya so the first ship is coming. How about a potbs packetboat? Now im using the mobile so i cant upload photos but the ship looks beautiful, i made the path and the locator but i cant move im where i put the camera... ive got a question, how aboute the rope locators? How i can put a rope from masts to hull?

Looking good, Oskar!

But I´d change the position of the headrails or it will be pretty difficult to connect them with the head timbers. The middle headrail shouldn´t be wider than the upper headrail, the upper headrail should be closer to the cathead, more like this:

Happy modelling! :onya

Ok' ill try... I'm not sure i can't but i can try...

It's your frigate this?

Thank's, happy modelling also to you...

Back