• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP HMS Providence

Oskar94

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Here you are the Providence, i modified the Surprise...
What do you think?

291m8eb.jpg

2ak0ak1.jpg

ohmeio.jpg

I love it! The Flushdeck Frigate as always been a favorite of mine! (I bet the reason she was modeled after the surprise is because the Surprise portrayed her in the film)

Excuse me Blood, i replyed at Pieter while you replyed xD:
Yes, i love flushdeck frigates too...
I modeled it on the base of the Surprise, that i'm doing too... From the photoes i think 34 plus 2 at the back...

Walkable gun deck, eh? I like that! We could make some nice screenshots with that, I reckon. :woot

Lovely work, Jack! :woot
I'm still impressed with how well the stern is coming along... I'm sure I could see part of the nameplate there; could we get a close-up shot of it?

A couple of points for you to think about:
  • The cannons probably need their rope tethers, for realism
  • The hull could probably do with being more blue-and-orange, perhaps using the same colours as the model in Patch 6
  • The stern is still lacking port and starboard windows

I'm just glad we didn't go with POTC canon. Guess what type of ship they say it is on the wiki, and guess how many guns it says she has? Its ridicules!

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/HMS_Providence

Apparently is says so in the OST visual guide. Thats what I have been told by oneof the admins on the wiki after my attempt to change it to a 28 gunned frigate (like the Surprise)

Must've made a mistake there then. 88 cannons on a ship that regularly holds 28 really is ridiculous.

I'm just glad we didn't go with POTC canon. Guess what type of ship they say it is on the wiki, and guess how many guns it says she has? Its ridicules!

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/HMS_Providence

xD: It's those brilliant writers and researchers hard at work from Disney once again. I guess the reason she was the "pride of King George" is that the standard 80 gun ship of that time was a three decker 2nd or 3rd rate, and the Admiralty shipwrights by some incredible 18th century scientific breakthrough, managed to squeeze all that into a 5th/6th rate Frigate design/frame.

She must have been the pinnacle of naval technology for her day. Makes me wonder if the standard 800 to 1200 man crew complement had figured out how to miniaturize themselves and quarter themselves in hammocks aboard ships in bottles. Too bad the mermaids got her. :razz

I wonder if someone more mathematically inclined than me could figure out the equation for what amount of mass and energy is required to pull a boyant 450 tons underwater. ;)

Regardless of their goofey mistakes, I'm certain that our august and knowledgeable team will put things right. :onya

Really seriously beautiful work Jack! You're an artist! :onya I wish I had your talent. :bow

MK

Thank's, really :rolleyes:

It is a bit ot, but the mod has gone very far: http://pirates2.dtiblog.com/blog-entry-73.html

Craiggo, if for you is ok when finished the models i upload it for you so you'd make the locators, on it you're better and (a lot) faster then me ;)

Added the windows:

2e5l4sm.jpg

The nameplate for now is the same of the Surprise, i have to change it:

dyodxu.jpg

That ship is Badass man! Keep up the greatb work! I am already developing the urge to commandeer it from you, even though it isn't out of the shipyards yet. :urgh

That's deffintely a nice ship.

@Craiggo

If enters into GoF!, I think we can find a sutible captain for it don't you think? ;)

It is a bit ot, but the mod has gone very far: http://pirates2.dtib...g-entry-73.html
It's amazing how many websites now show Build Mod content... :blink:

About the locators, I think the best thing to do is to copy and adjust the ones from the model in Patch 6; they're the most accurate for the rigging, especially.

As for the stern windows, nice job! :onya
From what you've done to it, I see only three more things that need to be done before the stern is perfect:

[attachment=6526:providence_stern.jpg]

1. The emblem should be added (best to just copy the textured one from the original Surprise)
  2. The windows should each be split into nine parts, like in the picture
  3. This small feature needs to be on the back as well as the sides
If you could do all three, then the stern will be almost 100% true to the real thing! :woot

Wow! She's looking fantastic!
me.gif

Shouldn't the name, "Providence" be on the stern? Is this supposed to be the Providence from the 4th movie or the Surprise from Master & Commander? Did the Surprise even have any changes for the movie other than the nameplate reading "Providence"? I know the Lady Washington had a new paint job along with a few other cosmetic changes to become the Interceptor.

Back