• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP HMS Providence

I think Jack is ether really busy or on a hiatus.
sailr.gif

It all depends if Jack comes back. I doubt any of his projects will make the first Beta 2 release at this rate. :(

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for me to finish off the Providence, due to Jack's absence?
I'm aware that there's only a couple of details to change on the Surprise model to achieve this, so maybe I could give it a try.
It would be a huge shame not to include this ship in Build 14 Beta 2, considering how far we've come with the other film ships lately. :?

I'm exporting the Surprise to OBJ format as we speak. ;)
It's been a slight pain though, since I had to split the model into its individual components using TOOL, and then start exporting them.
Doing them as they were caused them to export as one whole component, which is useless for assigning the textures. :facepalm

Anyway, I'll update you when I've got the Surprise assembled in Maya, and ready to start adjusting.

OK, I've managed to reassemble the Surprise's components in Maya.
Took a while because they all decided to shift out of place, so I had to use TOOL to find out the coordinates of each of the 31 components... :urgh

I've done some optimisation to reduce the number of polygons and materials used, and will install some lower-poly guns too.
With the optimisation and no guns (the guns combined are 20,000), the ship is just over 50,000 polygons; 30,000 less than it used to be!

I'll hopefully be able to fix the bow wave too, by exporting the hull as a whole model, rather than in two parts.

Part of me wants to say "No" because I know how picky you can be, but since you asked... maybe you could help sort out a movie-accurate texture? :rolleyes:
All you'd need to do is tweak the textures used by the HMS_Surprise model to be more like the real ship.
The colours in game are different because we purposely wanted the Providence to have her accurate paint scheme, but then the project froze.

I was thinking also maybe Legendary Spider would be interested in tweaking the HMS Interceptor's colours to match the HMS Dauntless?

OMG. lol I Don't want you to be afraid to ask me about texturing now.
24.gif

I do a good job, don't I?
me.gif
Modifying these existing textures will be so much easier than making entirely new ones like I did for the Pearl, Revenge, and Wench.

Well, the Interceptor's hull texture is a bit low-res, as well as slightly inaccurate colour-wise.
I was going to do that one myself, but if you're taking over, you might need to do a bit more than simply change the colours.
Plus, the Dauntless isn't perfect either, so don't make the Interceptor look exactly the same.

At some point we should go through and give all the low-res ships that high-res planking I used for the BP, QAR, and WW. I guess I should post that in my FTP folder so others can make use of it.
keith.gif

Well, the Interceptor's hull texture is a bit low-res, as well as slightly inaccurate colour-wise.
I was going to do that one myself, but if you're taking over, you might need to do a bit more than simply change the colours.
Plus, the Dauntless isn't perfect either, so don't make the Interceptor look exactly the same.

Ok then, you want me to just do the Providence then? I'm fine with whatever.

At some point we should go through and give all the low-res ships that high-res planking I used for the BP, QAR, and WW. I guess I should post that in my FTP folder so others can make use of it.
keith.gif
That's an ambitious idea! There's a lot of textures to go through! :shock
Then again, I said elsewhere that I'd like to eventually upgrade most of the stock ships to the quality of the new Corvette, which is also ambitious.
We make a right pair, don't we? xD:

Heck, I'm not stopping you. I have enough modelling on my hands, anyway. :wp
I was just saying there's more work involved with that texture than you might think.

keith.gif
That's an ambitious idea! There's a lot of textures to go through! :shock
Then again, I said elsewhere that I'd like to eventually upgrade most of the stock ships to the quality of the new Corvette, which is also ambitious.
We make a right pair, don't we? xD:

That we do. Thick as thieves, mate.
buds.gif

Heck, I'm not stopping you. I have enough modelling on my hands, anyway. :wp
I was just saying there's more work involved with that texture than you might think.

Pffft. I doubt it'll be as bad as the Queen Anne's Revenge. That thing was insane. lol It wasn't like with the Pearl where we basically upgraded. I had to make brand new textures from scratch for her.
piratesing.gif

I'll do the Interceptor and Dauntless then as well.

Short update on the Surprise/Providence. I've done some more optimisation work and now got the ship below 70,000 polygons.
I also think I've figured out why this ship seemed to cause greater framerate drops than ships with equal or more polygons; she had thousands more vertices than necessary!
They all needed merging together, because there were many in the same spots, and sure enough the model is slightly easier to view smoothly in Maya.

And here's something I didn't expect to have to add: the rudder!

Surprise_rudder.jpg

It's a wonder this ship could even turn, having been without a rudder all this time! xD:
Anyway, I just need to finish fixing up the cabin and stern windows (it's a bit of a mess, to be honest - no offence to Jack), and then I can finally move on to making the Providence version.

Back